main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Global Climate Change

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, May 7, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Lemme guess, you 1. didn't read anything in this thread and 2. think that climate change is a hoax by LIEberals.

2. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Your assumptions automatically make you ignorant.

3. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Enlighten me.

4. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Simply put, I believe that Climate Change is happening. I don't believe it's as Catastrophic as everyone claims it is or will be.

Not saying that Climate Change doesn't effect Weather, but every incident of Bad Weather doesn't mean it's climate change. It's a fact that every time there is a weather event the media ties it to Climate Change. Every time there isn't a weather event the media ties it to Climate Change. That was the point of my previous post.

Climate Change is the new Boogie Man just waiting to get us.

I am almost 40 years old... I remember when i was probably about 10 years old'ish (that would be in the 80's) there was a commercial showing people walking around with gas masks, and dust masks, claiming that in the near future the great lakes would dry up into dust bowls and we would live in a desert if we didn't conserve water. It was done in a sketch drawing manner.... I live in Buffalo NY and I can tell you for a fact the Great Lakes are still here.

That boogie man has been hiding under our bed for a long time, and we are still here.

Again, not saying that Climate change isn't happening, but, I just don't like Chicken Littles....

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Literally no one in this thread attributed every bad weather event to Climate Change. I don't know what point you're trying to make, but at least read the damn thread before posting.

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Only an Idiot would believe the Current Rate of consumption Of fossil fuels and deforestation won't Lead to catastrophic Climate Change.

It's Impossible to tie any One weather event to ClimAte change, but the trends are Clear. In my hoMe state of California, for eXample, we just had our hottest, driest winter on a record that stretches back to the 19th cenTury. OuR most seVere fires have mosTly happEned since 2000. The stAte and Federal governments have alreadY admitted that there is No "fire season" anymore-- it will be year-rOund.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I read the capitalized letters thinking you were writing a secret message.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    ASR is rubbing off on you it seems.

Point Given likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Damn, I should've thought of that. Too much work.

10. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

I didn't say that anyone in this thread said every weather event etc etc etc. The thread is about the Assessment in total, not just a point of the assessment you and others decided to talk about. I didn't quote you or anyone else in my original post, which usually points to the fact that I wasn't trying to intervene in your discussion, just making my own point on Climate Change.

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    So then what was the point in your post other than arguing against a nonexistent argument in the thread?

12. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Call me an Idiot all you want, doesn't matter to me, just not the Chicken Little type. 50% of the worlds Tropical Forests are already gone, why haven't we seen 50% of the Catastrophic Climate Change? Only because it's the last 50% that matters? Again not saying it's a good thing if all the Tropical Forests are gone, I think there will be issues for us to resolve if we continue down this road, but, Catastrophic Changes? Color me Skeptical...

You prove my point exactly, you say that you can't prove any weather events to climate change, but, you certainly imply it is happening.

I ask you this, next winter is there a possibility that you have the wettest winter that you ever had stretching back to the 19th Century? If you do, will you imply that's due to climate change as well? Or will it be an anomaly (spelling?)?

13. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Ok so I must check with you as to what I want to post? The post I made is my opinion on the Topic of the thread and was in topic as far as the topic goes. I don't have to live up to your expectations of what a post should be. If you want to express your opinion of my post, feel free, but please stop trying to tell me I can't post my opinion on the topic just because it doesn't live up to your expectations.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Deforestation contributes about 20% to the rise in greenhouse gases. It's quite significant, but the accumulated carbon from eons-old trees and other lifeforms we dig out of the ground accounts for a lot more.

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    This was your post, mikeximus

Who are you accusing of saying this? Or are you just rambling?

16. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    a lot of the catastrophic effects are a matter of thresholds, and therefore won't happen gradually in direct proportion to the amount of carbon released. for instance, when enough of the north pole melts it will ruin the halocline (salinity) in the north atlantic, which will destroy the north atlantic conveyor current, which will likely trigger a european ice-age in the long term

17. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    [​IMG]

18. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Why don't you actually post something along the lines as to whether you agree or disagree with my post rather than getting upset as to why I did it. I expressed my opinion, I didn't direct it at anyone in particular, I didn't know I had too. In case you missed it there was a very strong sense of Sarcasm in it. However, please outline to me your rules for posting, so I can ignore them.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

your image is broken so i dont know if you're making fun of me or climate deniers or what

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    What opinion? All you did was caricature a nonexistent position. There's nothing to agree with or disagree with in your post.

21. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    [​IMG]

It was a Day After Tomorrow movie poster. I can't post it now. I just can't.

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i didnt see that movie

23. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    it ****in' blew, if memory serves.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, but the aforementioned assessment was performed by a team of professional scientists using the accepted practices of their field. What ties media does and does not choose to portray as existing between particular weather events and climate change has literally nothing to do with their results. This is like responding to a Surgeon General's warning on the link between smoking and lung cancer by complaining that the main bad guy on X-Files smoked cigarettes.

25. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    But Morleys give you that smooth, rich taste.