main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVII Accomodation

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Aug 10, 2013.

1. ffluff73

ffluff73 Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2013
    Have just reserved the Hilton - hoorah!

2. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    The next Celebration, in my opinion, should be in.........................DALLAS DALLAS DALLAS DALLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
  4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Ugh please no. I've been to three different conventions there and felt so trapped with nothing to do.

5. Airdave Jedi

Airdave Jedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2013
    How about Austin? Live music capitol of the world! :D

I'd settle for Houston, although the humidity is a killer.

Dewback likes this.
  6. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Hmmm....Austin is nice. Dallas is still my first choice for a con. I was raised just outside of Dallas and love it there!!!!!!
    :cool:

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Keep this discussion to the hotels in Anaheim, the celebration after that can be discussed somewhere else.

8. crescenstar

crescenstar Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2013
    hi! im from Venezuela a country north of brazil east from colombia =) we have a problem with $$$Currency, its a big issue that some ppl dont understand because its very uncommon , the fact is, for travelling venezuelans only have 2500$ to spend!

now that i told you that, what do you recommend me to do? where should i stay? i've never been in CA. =)

9. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    There are lots of reasonably priced hotels/motels in the area. One of the biggest money saver is finding someone to share a hotel room. It's worked out well for me in the past. You just need to make sure you discuss ground rules and come to an understanding before hand. I'm sure someone will start a roommate thread closer to the event.

If you prepay for some of the costs of your travel does that count toward the $2500?

10. crescenstar

crescenstar Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2013
    the government gives us 2500$ to use with our credit cards.... 500$ Cash and 400$ to spend via internet per year... i think i can pay hotel reservation or car rent with those 400 =)

11. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    Wow! I haven't post here in ages!
    As soon as the accommodations were available, I booked right away.
    I informed fellow travelers that no matter what, I was booking the Marriott.
    Being a member of the 501st I was seriously thnking about staying in the host hotel.
    But changed my mind. The Marriott is across from the convention center and I am
    happy with that. Yes, it's a little more, but my feet will be glad that I paid a little extra
    for a shorter walk.
    The advantage here is being able to save a little more with the convention being a little
    more than a year away.

Dewback likes this.
  12. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I still have no idea where i'm gonna stay smh

darthhelinith likes this.
  13. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Yeah I think I'm going to wait till after Christmas before I book a hotel, December is such an expensive month. Hopefully there'll be something not to expensive.

14. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Keep your eyes open. As has been stated in this thread, the rooms were made available waaaayyy too early and there will likely be a lot of people who have to cancel reservations. I couldn't book a room at the time they were made available as my card expired before the con, so I was out of luck until my new card came in November, now I'm stuck with hotels a mile away. On the other hand, I don't even know at this point if I will be attending for sure and I'll likely have a better idea later next year when (hopefully) more rooms open up.

15. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Airdave Jedi Dewback you guys should check out Central Texas Galactic Alliance on Facebook, the Austin TX SW fan group. I'm hoping to have our own little 'Caravan of Courage' for those wanting to drive out. (because I don't trust airlines with my costume/lightsabers, and I don't trust USPS/FedEx/UPS with shipping stuff back)

On topic: For those looking at staying thru Disney, I looked at the Disneyland webpage, apparently 2015 rates don't get posted until July. Cutting it a little close, but at the same time, I can set aside income tax return dough for the trip, earn a little savings on it, then get in on accommodations. Also, I believe Disneyland will accept Disney gift cards as payment (I know DisneyWorld does), and sometimes you can get discounted gift cards at Target. Save a little here, a little there, and there's more stuff to buy at the show (or more SW pins at Disney!)

Dewback and Mitth_Fisto like this.
  16. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Still not entirely sure how I'm going to manage to afford it all but I'm staying positive. Just booked my hotel, they had reservations up till the 19th, I technically want to stay till Monday the 20th but I'll just edit it once it's up. I'm hoping it will offer a shuttle like in FL though it's only 0.7 miles away so walking is definitely do-able.

17. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    I just booked my hotel reservation. Hyatt Regency, 1.5 miles to the convention center. It's much further than I'd like, but nothing closer was available. After my experience with CV, I refuse to get a non-partnered hotel (or at least refuse to get a hotel that isn't right next to the convention center). I'm definitely hoping to change my reservation to a closer hotel when they open up, though. I want to be right in the middle of it all, ya know?

Any idea if OnPeak will update their site as more rooms open up? I don't want to be stuck so far away, and I'm worried I'll miss something if I have to keep checking individual hotel websites or online booking agents. Does OnPeak reserve the whole hotel, or a chunk of rooms? If it is just a chunk of rooms, do they have one chunk and make it all available at once, or do they make sections available at various times?

18. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    When I talked to OnPeak back in August they said that there was just one block of rooms being made available for every hotel and the fluctuating availability was because of people cancelling or changing their reservations. I suppose they could make more available but I would keep watching the site because plans always change Did you give them a call? By calling OnPeak on the phone I was able to book at the Hilton even though the website showed no rooms were available.

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think I stayed in that Hyatt on a work-related trip to Orlando. (This was probably back in the late '90s or 2000). It was pretty nice then. I remember standing on a balcony outside my room at around 4am to watch the space shuttle take off. It was beautiful - a big ball of flame heading up.

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, I just booked at Sheraton Park. I was surprised at how steep the prices are (although, I did get a cheaper rate going directly through the hotel's website rather than Celebration; they also had more dates available), but I guess it'll pay off to be only a block away and not having to walk very far at the end of the day. That was my goal, after all.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  21. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    So I'll be traveling from NYC for the convention - I'm used to walking 15+ minutes for pretty much everything. Is it really that terrible to be in a hotel not immediately next to the convention center? I've found some that are a mere 15 minute walk from the convention center that are significantly cheaper than the ones right next door. I'd definitely rather save some money on lodging and walk to and from each day, but this is also my first convention so wanted to make sure there's nothing that would end up making that a truly terrible decision.

22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Personally, my decision to stay close and pay more versus saving some money and staying further away came down to the costumes I want to bring. It'll be a lot easier to get back and forth with my armor if I only have to walk a block instead of dragging everything onto a shuttle or walking a greater distance with heavy pieces in tow. I also stayed a fair distance away last time I was at a Celebration (CV - we ended up staying on Disney property, which only had a shuttle that ran between the hours of 8 a.m. and 7 p.m.) and I felt like I was out of loop. It was extremely difficult to find transportation (without paying an arm and a leg for a cab) to attend all of the fan gatherings and other activities that occurred after con hours. I ended up not attending any because of that and I truly regret that. I vowed never to stay that far away again and to get as close as possible for the next one.

Hitchhiking-Ghost and Dewback like this.
  23. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    My first Celebration was CV in Orlando. I drove down there and stayed in a hotel that was a 20 minute drive to the convention center. That's not a long drive by any means, I'm used to driving up to an hour for work each day. It was a real nice hotel suite, so I had a kitchen, and it was cheaper than the partnered hotels. My biggest issue with that was that the entirety of my convention experience was at the convention center. I'd show up in the morning, and leave at night. Go back to my hotel and watch TV. I dedicated four days in Orlando to Star Wars and was wasting half of them because I was too far away. If there were any other convention guests at my hotel, I wouldn't know. I also had to pay an extra $20 or so to park at the convention each day, which negated some of my savings in choosing a further hotel.

So next time around for CVI, I booked a partnered hotel that was a 10 minute walk. There were always costumed characters in the lobby, assorted Star Wars celebrities stayed at the hotel and hung out with fans at the bar. My hotel hosted a late night party, and I think a fan group or two had their receptions there.

Your 15 minute walk isn't bad at all. Just others should keep in mind, especially if you're making a trip out of it and coming in from out of town, that the convention is more than what happens on the show floor. You won't want to miss out on these unofficial events because you're too far away.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  24. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    The best thing about being to a hotel close to the convention place is that you can easily meet other conventioneers. My first convention was CE1 in London. I was at a cheaper hotel ca. 10km and a 35min underground journey from ExCel. Suffice to say I did have some regrets. xD
    10min walk isn't too bad.

That said, I have no idea yet where I'll be staying. Still waiting on a few friends to decided whether they'll go or not. I hope that more accommodation options become available say by the end of summer / early autumn this year.

25. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    I just got the kayak app on my tablet and it is extremely helpful in comparing airfare options and more importantly all the lodging options. You can read reviews and see just how far of a walk (or drive) your hotel is from the convention center.