main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What could George Lucas do legally if they changed his outlines?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by J.J.Abrams, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewbaccon

Chewbaccon Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2014
    I can't imagine that Abrams and Kasdan would not have included Lucas in on what they are changing and why (with some degree of understanding on GL's part). These guys (along with Kennedy) are where they are because they know how to navigate the industry with passion AND tact. I also think GL is prolly relieved to be semi-tired and not have the burdens of SW on his plate everyday. I hope he just enjoys what is made as a FAN. Can you imagine how that will be for him?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas sold his company, not leasing with an option to buy. Not handing over the copyright for a short period of time and then taking it back. He has sold his company. True, Disney and Lucasfilm is not bound to follow his ideas. But they have to a degree. They wanted to make the ST based on these ideas that he's had for a while now. If there are changes and the rumors is that there has been, Lucas can't do much since it probably isn't a reneging of the deal. He would just have to grin and bear it. That's why Iger said that he was clear that Lucas was no longer the final word and he agreed to that.

Artoo-Dion and Dewback like this.
  3. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I want Lucas to title the film.

4. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

The last time I checked, a written contract is legally binding.

Lucas wouldn't sell the Star Wars Property unless Disney agreed to use his Story Treatments. The powers that be at Disney are not filmmakers, they are about making a profit. I doubt they would have a problem with this arrangement anyway, because this only applies to the ST. Disney can then do whatever they want with all other future Star Wars movies, and projects.

Immortiss, DarthBreezy and T-R- like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Lucas has sold the company, he does not have legal recourse if he is angry that they didn't follow his outlines because he does not own the company anymore. the thing Bob Iger mentions about "signing agreements" is most likely in reference to an NDA.

Artoo-Dion and Dewback like this.
  6. Darth Lurker

Darth Lurker Jedi Knight star 1

May 24, 2014
    George Lucas walked away with over FOUR BILLION dollars. Aside from saving face, I honestly don't think he gives a rat's backside what the movie is about.

7. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Most of which he donated to charity.

8. Darth Lurker

Darth Lurker Jedi Knight star 1

May 24, 2014

Which is completely awesome. I'm just saying.

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I disagree. Star Wars is his life's work. There is no question, he is personally invested in the ST. Sometimes, money is not as important as pride in one's accomplishments.

10. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Legally? Nothing.
    Illegally? Torrent.

11. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    He actually does have legal recourse IF he made sure there was language in the contract when he sold the company that they had to follow his outline. However if there was no such language, he is SOL and just has to hope they followed it as closely as possible. Though with George being consultant and friends with Kathy and JJ, I am sure he is in the loop and knows already which direction this thing is going. He won't just walk into a theater in December 2015, and find out with the rest of us.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

GunganSlayer and T-R- like this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Again, much of this debate hinges on what is on the acquisistion agreement, which I am willing to bet none of us has seen.

thejeditraitor and T-R- like this.
  13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    what's funny is people always say "we like george for his stories not his directing, dialogue, etc". so let's use his stories then. that's what i want.

Immortiss and dolphin like this.
  14. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I honestly doubt Lucas has any legal claims on any of the materials he handed over, unless Disney decide to reboot his established work. That's probably why TCW was deemed canon guys. Lucas was all over that series - and he wanted that part of the SW story long-term.

15. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

I agree. That is big of him. Go Lucas!

16. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    That would be cool.

Aside from AOTC - his titles were all great IMO.

T-R- likes this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I doubt George cares what Red Letter Media had to say

Sent from my R2 unit

Palpatine2016 likes this.
  18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Well, he did it because he already has his nest egg. Something he mentioned a number of years ago. People thought that he was greedy for greed's sake, but the money he made off of the Saga was largely for his companies to stay in black in the 80's. By the time he got to the PT, he didn't need the money other than to fund all three films himself.

19. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Never said otherwise. I was just pointing out that he donated the money to charity because many people don't seem to know that; they think he kept all the money he made on the sale to Disney.

20. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I can see it now, Disney paid $4 billion for Star Wars but were too cheap to hire a lawyer.

21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    What could George Lucas do legally if they changed his outlines?

Drive down to Disney and go bat#%^* on all the executives with a ball peen hammer.

22. DarthBlanco

DarthBlanco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Lucas sold his soul for $4.05bn?

23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    No some people say that many who despise the PT and won't acknowledge it's massive success or impact because it doesn't suit them to. They also like to pretend Lucas was "forced" into the making of ESB.

LOL! Again an illusion that is easily shattered if you face the truth.

24. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    is the idiotic scenario of Lucas suing Kasdan and Abrams for changing his rough outline really thread worthy?

25. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Sure why not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.