main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "command ship" may be a loose term, for any flagship.

StrikerKOJ and Gorefiend like this.
  2. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Not having aboard =/= incapable of carrying around.

3. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    And "super star destroyer" isn't?

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Not given that it's the narration of RoTJ that refers to it that way - and not just the characters.

Gorefiend likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do "=/=" mean?

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "Does not equal", or possibly, "Does not mean".

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Where did I ever claim they could not carry as much? They just clearly never actually got them.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    A larger version of the traditional Star Destroyer?

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. IceHawk-181

IceHawk-181 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    If there is one truism when it comes to the military, it is that those in the actual service rarely use official designations for the equipment they are using.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

"Viper" : Fighting Falcon
    "Bone" : B1B Lancer
    "Warthog" : Thunderbolt II

and so forth. At least that's the impression I get from books.

Tied likes this.
  12. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013
    Can we please stop talking about the Executor/ROTJ novelization?

The novel itself is far from perfect and theres nothing un-canon about more specific guide, of course vader called it a star destroyer, its a type of star destroyer, it would make sense if he called it as such. For example in world war two, would it be uncommon for a soilder to call a Tiger 2 a Tiger, or in star wars a pilot to call a tie fighter a fighter

Gorefiend likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Problem is - EU media after the novelizations designated "Star Destroyer" as a category of ships mostly between 1 and 2 km long - with bigger ships generally being called "Star Battlecruisers" (or just Battlecruisers) and Star Dreadnoughts (or just Dreadnoughts).

In the Disneyverse, these other categories may no longer exist.

14. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013

And how would that contridict with JJs new movies, THAT THE REASON FOR THE CANON RESET HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THIS, its the EVENTS post ROTJ that no longer are canon

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If you read the announcement - it says everything that's not movies, TCW, and very recent or upcoming works (Rebels) is Legends.

And not just post-RoTJ, but pre-ROTJ as well.

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    TIE Hunters made it into the new canon, everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darthscott3457 and Gorefiend like this.
  17. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Source? And don't say FFG, because the E-wing is there, too. ;)

EDIT: My mistake. It's the new handbook. Is it canon?

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That's my understanding, yup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. IceHawk-181

IceHawk-181 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    I do not understand why we should need to review this every couple of days; the entirety of the EU has been rendered Legends (ie: non-canon).

Items from the EU are non canon until explicitly included in the new-canon (an example being the inclusion of the ISB in Rebels).

While it is likely that going forward we will see a number of vessels & characters reproduced from the old-EU their existence does not validate or canonize previous stories or details.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Yet is only ever used for one ship, the Executor. Not the EU explanation where half a dozen or so ISDs were command ships themselves at the battle of Endor.

That's the nature of Han's reaction on seeing the Executor:
    Luke: "Vader's on that ship!"
    Han: "Now don't get jittery, Luke. There are a lotta command ships."

Since the EU is non-canon and since Han doesn't go "Which one? There's three command ships out the viewport." I can only assume, based on movie-dialogue, that an Imperial command ship is a ship like the Executor, or at least something similar.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  21. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013

Who knows maybe in every shot it was a different super star destroyer, like they were on shifts, that seems as much of a explanantion as any, oh and they were all different lengths

22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That's nonsense. One example means that it's all true in all cases? It certainly couldn't be because General Solo was apprised of what was known by the Alliance about the Imperial OOB and knew that the Executor was the command ship of Death Squadron - which was also at Hoth? There's plenty of interpretations if you're not predisposed to a particular conclusion.
    I know you've been pushing the "every decision, interpretation or idea other than what is literally on the screen is completely non-canon now", but considering who's involved in the StoryGroup and that the upcoming Age of Rebellion and Wallace's Imperial Handbook are both NEU, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Gorefiend and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    " the upcoming Age of Rebellion and Wallace's Imperial Handbook are both NEU"
    Source?
    The only canon example of an Imperial command ship is the Executor. Showing examples of how Vader/Anakin commanded from cruisers elsewhere, doesn't mean they are dedicated to that role.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Do we even know for sure that the Executor-class is "dedicated to that role"? It may simply be called a command ship because that's its role at the time - with others performing different tasks, like patrol, home defence, etc.

Gorefiend likes this.
  25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    As a kid, seeing the movies, I just equated Vader's ship being a command ship with a command ship being a huge, heavily armed craft, a battleship.
    We had Tarkin and his Death Star, Vader and his Executor and Palpatine and his Death Star II. I'm fully expecting the new villains to have something like that in the ST, whether it's a ship or a battlestation of some kind.

I tried tweeting both Jennifer Heddle and Dan Wallace about the Handbook, but nothing so far. The Commandos and the Hunter being canon would be cool.