main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Superman has already had his sequel taken from him by Batman - how much weaker does he need to get?

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Ha hah! Well, according to the news that broke out yesterday, Superman will have a proper sequel to Man of Steel.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, I'd like to point out that -- if the schedule is accurate -- that the time between Man of Steel and Man of Steel 2 is the exact amount of time between how long it takes to reboot the most popular comic character in the world (Spider-Man, from Spider-Man 3 to The Amazing Spider-Man), as well as only 2 years longer than how long it took to reboot Superman (Superman Returns to Man of Steel) and less time than rebooting Batman (the second most popular comic book character; The Dark Knight Rises to BvS: Dawn Cuts Through Grease).

As well as, y'know, how long it takes to do three Iron Man films.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    What's your point?

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    My point is that DC still can't do anything with any sort of scheduling and either they're petrified of a Superman sequel (hence putting it at a reboot-cycle timeframe) or it's just bad planning.

Again, if the schedule is true -- which is far from a given.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    More likely just the planning. Cavill will be doing Superman back to back with "Dawn Of Justice" and "Justice League". If the studio is still planning to keep him beyond that, they'd have to sign him to a new film. And given how Marvel, Fox and Sony are lining up things up with their summer slate for the next few years, Warner Brothers might be deciding to do one film per year, thus avoiding competing with the two to three films that comes with the Marvel characters.

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I thought last summer's Superman: Man of Steel film was superb, and far superior to any other film or TV version of the character (and this is coming from someone who grew up with the iconic Chris Reeve films). One of the many things I liked about the film was that they gave Krypton a much more sci-fi element (cloning, laser guns, etc.), which seemed obviously inspired by the excellent 1986 comic book re-boot of the character, by artist/writer John Byrne.

That being said, IMHO there should at least have been 2 more Superman films (3 in all) only focusing on the character & his villains, before combining him with the DC universe - there are a plethora of stories & characters that could be the focus on two more Superman films..... I'm not sure why Superman AND Batman had to be the focus of a 2nd film. Why not just give the spotlight to Superman for at least 2 more films, before combining him with the rest of the DC universe? H*%$, even Batman's recent 200X re-boot gave the character three films. And why does there need to be another Batman film so soon after the last one (2012)?! And, if the character needs to be re-booted again, why not give Batman his own movie?! As far as I'm concerned, by doing this the film studio/DC is saying that Superman can't carry a film on his own - which is unadulterated B&^l$%#$....

Volderon likes this.
  9. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    On the contrary, Batman is entering Superman's world that was established in Man Of Steel, I think that's evidence enough that Superman can carry a film. It's still his supporting cast plus Alfred and it is his villain.

10. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

The fact that Batman is in the film at all will take the spotlight away from Superman. It would be the same as if, for example, any of the Iron Man movies also featured Spider-man, or any of the other Marvel super heroes.

Conversely, if it were a Justice League movie with Superman/Batman/other characters, that's completely different . Films like X-men, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. are ensemble team/group films and as such have more than one heroic character...

11. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I don't think of it that way. Batman and Superman are two sides of the same coin so it's a natural progression of the Superman character we got to see in MOS.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The Winter Soldier had Black Widow and did just fine.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    At this point, I don't think a Spider-man apperance would take any thunder from RDJ's Iron Man.:p

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

And Falcon. "Iron Man 2" had Nick Fury and War Machine. When it comes to using Batman here, there's obviously a story point that Goyer and Snyder felt was worth tackling. Which seems to be that there are consequences for Clark's battle with the Phantom Zoners, which Lex will try to exploit and Batman will find himself questioning both men. If the Aquaman cameo is true, it would certainly lend credence to the impact of the invasion. Also, it's probably smarter to assemble the universe in a different fashion. Marvel had the luxury of giving independent stories to each hero, before establishing how Loki's revenge will take shape. Here, it looks we're going from Clark trying to earn the people's trust to facing consequences for that action and then the League forming to prevent a repeat of the destruction visited on Metropolis, Smallville and down by the Indian Ocean. From that we'd see the other heroes dealing with the new status quo, whereas with the Avengers we had the strands of the aftermath leading right into the next conflict.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The reason I excluded Iron Man 2 is because it was absolutely terrible.

dp4m likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Sure, but Cap was dangerously close to being relegated to a tier 2 character and Black Widow is what, Tier 3?

As in, comparing apples and oranges with pomengrantes and lychees is a useless exercise. Superman and Batman are flagship characters and arguably the two most well known (and possibly popular) heroes in the world.

If Spiderman and the X-Men (or even just Logan) teamed up on film, then your analogy would work. Until then, and so long as people insist on comparing the Justice League (tier 1) with the Avengers (Tier 2) they're going to end up making proudly inaccurate analogies.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    And Ender, you don't feel it's a problem for Superman -- the Big Blue Boyscout of the DC universe, the character who is above reproach -- to potentially unite the Justice League by... having every member of the Justice League absolutely pissed off at him and his motivations (and have it be justified of course)?

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

:p

Batman might be pissed. Aquaman's pretty much always upset at the surface world. We don't know what Diana, Barry and Hal are thinking.

heels1785 likes this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ender, I don't know how, or what you'd use to break them into tiers - both characters were featured heavily as mains in The Avengers and top billed. However, if you don't see either of them as "major" characters, then yes, the analogy doesn't work.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I think most if not all comicdom would have called the Avengers a second tier team of Marvels. Their #1 team was of course the X-Men, followed by FF.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ah, okay, I get what you're saying a bit better. I was thinking within the constraints of the established cinematic universe for Marvel.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I wouldn't even do it like that. For Marvel, basically Spider-Man is top-tier. Everyone else is arguably a tier below that, unless you want to count Wolverine in the Spidey-tier by himself.

But I agree, all Avengers, all FF, etc. would be second-tier. X-Men would probablybe Tier 1.5.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    fixed that for you. Now how long does it take to you see where and why?

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Only in terms of comic book sales. Even prior to Bendis taking over ten years ago, the Avengers team was considered the premiere team and the X-Men were the most unusual of the teams, with the Fantastic Four being the family.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wait, so comic book sales aren't what are and are not determining top-tiers of superheroes?

:confused:

Darth_Invidious likes this.