main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If we're looking at it from a real world point of view. The Avengers went back and forth with the Fantastic Four during the 60's and 70's at Marvel, while the X-Men struggled and even went into reprints for five years in the first half of the 70's. They didn't start outselling both books until 1981 and that really lasted until the Bendis run. Likewise over at DC, the JLA was the top selling book until 1981, when it was replaced by The New Teen Titans and Legion Of Superheros until 1987, when the new Justice League series launched.

If we're looking within the universes they occupy, then it is a different matter.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm not so sure about Clark earning the people's trust, from the set photos and this POTENTIAL SPOILER ARTICLE, which suggests a two year gap between Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice and the relationship formed between Metropolis and Superman. Therefore, I don't buy into the Justice League forming to help and guide Superman to becoming a better superhero. Moreover, I remember Znyder talking about a potential Justice League before (or sometime thereafter) the theatrical release of Man of Steel and he said something along lines that Superman was going to be the first hero and inspire other heroes.

3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I didn't say that the League was going to guide him. I was referring to the idea because of what the Phantom Zoners did, it becomes evident that they need to work together against potential threats.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Okay, thanks for clarifying. However, super heroes are not really known for being successful at being proactive, but rather reactive. I don't see the Justice League forming to prevent potential threats, rather than forming together in response to a threat.

Also, it would appear from the set photos and articles I've read, that Superman is not considered a threat by the people of Metropolis, but rather a hero.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

What.

The entire difference of DC and Marvel is that DC heroes are proactive.

They go out on patrol.

They formed the League against future threats.

Do you even lift? Seriously. So wrong.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Ender, Ender, Ender.

Can you ever stop being adversarial with opinions you don't agree with? Seriously.
    That's that kind of attitude that give nerds a bad name.

If you would reread my post carefully, I said super heroes are not really successful at being proactive. If they were, comic books, animated series and movies would be pretty boring because they have prevent a threat. It's more entertaining to see they heroes react to a threat. Moreover, the movie main title is "Batman v. Superman" strongly suggesting they won't be joining forces together right off the bat to form a league to prevent threats from happening.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    While it is true that the heroes are proactive and don't seem to be successive, that is mostly because if they really went about it hard, they would wind up dictating people's lives. They would become more oppressive. Hence there's a balance where they have monitor duty, but aren't out there 24-7 to find and stop crime before it happens.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, that's why I usually get hooked on tropes where Superman goes rogue, like Injustice Gods: Among Us and (IIRC) Kingdom Come.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    To be fair, Superman's whole schtick -- and he was first, I believe -- is that he is everywhere. He is, literally, the Earth's protector. (Again, part of my problem with Man of Steel)

Others do so -- Batman, then Spider-Man, but most of the teams don't actively patrol, I believe, even with the formation of the JLA.

EDIT: Actually, that's an interesting question in my mind it raises... the two most popular super-heroes (Spider-Man #1, Batman #2) are two of the heroes who actively patrol and are omnipresent in their singular locations.

However, the #2 Marvel (#3 overall, #1 team) -- X-Men -- do no patrolling at all.

Just sort of an interesting observation.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    How so?

The JLA has monitor duty. At least one Leaguer sits in front of various television news and now internet feeds and keep track of what's going on. Most of the time it was J'onn who did this, prior to "Flashpoint". But on their own, the various heroes do go out on patrol.

Spider-Man's patrol is less that he's going out on patrol and more that most of the time, he's unable to sleep at night and so he goes out web swinging to clear his head and winds up having to deal with crime, or is attacked by one of his enemies. It's kind of a 50-50 ratio with Peter. Daredevil goes out on patrol. The Punisher as well. The X Teams don't go out on patrol, because their job is less as superheroes and more as protectors of Mutant rights. Kinda like the Black Panthers. The most that it happens is when Xavier would go use Cerebro to scan for Mutants, either coming into power or destructive activity. Captain America has been known to go out on patrol when he's not immersed in Avenger business.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Superman is often depicted just flying around (sometimes in low-Earth orbit) just scanning and stopping things he sees. But he does it on a macro-scale -- whole-Earth, not just New York (Spider-Man, Daredevil, Punisher, etc.)

And "monitor-duty" isn't patrolling. That's reactive, as someone noted. :p

And obviously there are more patrolling heroes than just Spider-Man and Batman, I just noted that the #1 (Spider-Man) and #2 (Batman) superheroes are both patrollers. And X-Men (#1 team, #2 Marvel, #3 overall) do no patrolling at all. Just an observation.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's because he can travel all over.

So is Superman flying around the planet, or Spider-Man going out swinging. Monitor duty allows them to do it while relying on the transporters to move people where they need to be.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

[​IMG]

14. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    [face_laugh]

An interesting thought popped into my head when you noted that the X-Men don't actively patrol. The rest of the comic book superheroes (maybe particularly Spider-Man with his power and responsibility mantra, but also others) seem to have the mindset that they somehow owe humanity their devotion because of the unique powers and abilities they happen to be gifted with. Whereas, for the X-Men, the main theme of the story of X-Men is mutants wanting to be equal and to be able to live like everyone else. In other words, it would be nice of them to help when they can and want to, but they shouldn't be obligated to lay their life on the line and forego regular lives because of their gifts. And if THAT'S why humans eventually learn to accept them, it kind of misses the point. Humans should accept them as equals regardless.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

:p

Darth_Invidious and dp4m like this.
  16. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    CANINE OF STEEL ... featuring PETER DINKLAGE!

Rew likes this.
  17. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I mean it's true, the government should have known Clark Kent is Superman when they found the ship was in the Kent house.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

I go back and say hello to my childhood. I the way back there, I visit with Captain America.

I think comprise is the answer.

[​IMG]

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Looks more welcoming to me. Less of a scowl and brooding.

21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm fine with Henry other than his height and hair in the 2nd movie.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012