main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Grouping the the two trilogies as the original saga due to VII. Is this wrong?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BoromirsFan, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin's role in the story is complete, Palpatine is dead but the Republic is not restored, nor is the Jedi Order. The Empire was dealt a death blow but we don't know what happens next. We only see the celebrations at one point in time. We don't know how they started, or what the backlash is afterwards. They might be only celebrating the death of Palpatine and Vader. The fall of the Jedi Order was big in the PT and the after effects of the fall were felt in the OT. Yeah Luke is a Jedi but only 1. The Jedi Order is not back yet. Yeah the future is in good hands but still unsatisfying imo until we get that. If Luke doesn't do it, who will? Why should we care if someone else steps up and does it?

2. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Yeah, it is all different tastes. I often like films to be subtle and leave something to the viewer's imagination, but I can understand that some people like to know definitively what the artist's vision was (my girlfriend for one - this is often something we end up clashing on when we discuss films!).

3. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    I guess the difference between us is that I don't always need to see "what happened next". After all, every film ever made has a "next", but that doesn't mean the events that follow would be noteworthy enough for their own film.

To put this in a different context, what ending would be enough? The Sequel Trilogy, after all, needs some conflict. It can't just be the good guys cutting ribbons at civil hall openings around the galaxy for 12 hours.

So say Episode IX ends with our heroes finally defeating the Empire and establishing a New Republic. Then what? How will this New Republic operate? Is everyone completely happy with it? Who isn't? What are they going to do about it? And what about the Imperials? Is every single one of them dead? Does anyone want revenge?

Or, Episode IX ends with the defeat of the resurgent Sith. Then what? Are we sure they're gone? They returned twice already, why not a third time? Does this mean no Force user will ever go rotten again?

Or, Episode IX ends with Luke formally creating a Jedi Order. Then what? Is it all sunshine and rainbows from here out? Will he have established rules on attachment etc? Will they change over time? Will any of his pupils fall the dark side? Will they have a council? If they already have one, will it last?

Do you see what I mean? Once you go down the road of "there's still more for the characters to do", the story never ends. And I'm sure some people would love that. But I'm not one of them. I like things to be concluded, even if every action of a character's life isn't documented.

oierem and bstnsx704 like this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    For the ST I want a fully realized Jedi Order, a Galactic Government or everyone living in peace etc. Someone takes advantage of the chaos and tries to take over. Everyone else has to band together to beat them. We will learn what those entail along the way. Kinda pointless not too.
    Episodes 10-12 could happen a couple generations later to show how Luke and Leia's grandchildren are handling things on their own.
    I'll wait and see after the ST is complete if I want more after that. Though like I said for Episode 10-12 I would not mind seeing a scenario like that.

5. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    See, to me, that doesn't sound like a very compelling narrative. I've already seen the good guys win, and against seemingly insurmountable odds. Another victory is just another victory, not a key step in their journey.

Also, this brings me back to my point. A Star Wars trilogy, by definition, has to have some kind of galactic scale conflict. Unless we have a whole film of everyone sitting around enjoying and prospering from a stable society, the last film of the trilogy will always end with peace having only just been won. And if peace only comes at the end of the trilogy, then by your definition there will never be closure, as we will never see the government flourish.

So they make another trilogy. And there's another war. And it ends with the peace only just beginning. And the cycle begins anew ...

Ah, but what if you feel it's complete and other posters don't think it is. ;)

I guess this is where you and I differ fundamentally. You would be happy to see the series continue indefinitely. I would like there to be a concrete ending, to give a sense of perspective to the series.

Indeed, surely with the prospect of spin-offs on the horizon, the Saga can end and yet we can progress chronologically in the timeline. I'm put in mind of the X-Men spin-off The Wolverine, which was the first film to go chronologically beyond the last of the main series The Last Stand (albeit with the ulterior motive of setting the next "Saga" films, Days of Future Past).

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You can believe that everything is peaceful and all that (which you do) but I don't. Parts of the story that mirrored what happened in the PT-OT are missing.
    The galaxy has been at war for almost 3 decades at that point. You really think everything is going to be hunky-dorky after the end of ROTJ? I don't. There will be a lot left to fix.
    Also we will learn about the Jedi Order and whatever the Rebellion will become in the ST. Good enough for me.
    Also for the ST, can the OT generation and the ST generation keep their hard earned work sustained?
    It's Disney. You really think that they won't continue on after Episode IX? I bet they will. Just preparing myself for that eventuality. Am I going to like their idea for the FT? Don't know if I will like what they do for it but I am open for anything. I want the end to be Jedi Order and Galactic government restored and the Big 3 or at least one of them to walk off into the sunset after seeing their life-long dreams completed. More SW? Fine by me. Before, during, after bring it on!
    Seeing stuff happen to the descendants doesn't bother me. I guess I can blame the EU for that. Stories all over the history of SW. So they change it from the story of Anakin/Luke to the Skywalker Family as a whole. So be it.
    I'll just change my expectations then. We do have 2 generations for the ST after all. The ST might be the OT generations conclusion but the ST generation can continue on. The PT generations story might have ended in the OT but did the OT's generations story end there?

7. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I fully agree with all that. The ST will not be about the aftermath of the OT (considering that it's set about 40 years later than ROTJ), it will be about a new conflict. There will be new enemies, new bad guys, new personal struggles, since all the previous ones are over.

And randomly adding new threats and new villains and new victories cheapens the original story. As you say, there are some people who prefer to see a series go on forever. I don't. I like a story to have a clear beginning and ending, and adding sequels for the sake of it (Disney will continue to make films as long as they are profitable) just cheapens the overall story.

I don't want more SW, same as I don't want more Harry Potter, more Lord of the Rings. I'm perfectly happy with the Saga being 1-6 and I believe it's literally impossible to add a whole trilogy without making it feel superfluous and totally unrelated to the story that began in episode I (which was about Anakin and Palpatine), or even to the story that began in episode IV (which was about Luke's quest against Darth Vader).

CoolyFett likes this.
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    we don't know yet.

9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

Quite right. There's a very busy, dedicated forum for discussions about the upcoming Sequel Trilogy right here - http://boards.theforce.net/forums/star-wars-episode-vii-spoilers-allowed.10864/

Until we have some real information regarding what the ST is about, the SW Saga forum really is just about the existing films. Locking thread.

thejeditraitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.