main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Imperial Handbook - A Commander's Guide

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King of Alsakan, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    So, like, you're saying they know there are things that they know they should know but do not know, sorta like known unknowns.

I mean, it could be worse, they could not know what they ought to know, but I don't think it's an unknown unknown that the Handbook's status is unknown.

Starkeiller and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The more you know the more you find out that you know nothing.

Zorrixor and Iron_lord like this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Handbook hadn't been published yet when the legends announcement was made. Therefore, it's definitely canon.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There's already so many exceptions to that rule to make that pointless. It is was that simple, don't you think that someone official could answer a perfectly reasonable question?

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Name one exception.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Wars Illustrated Fact File - includes articles about Legends topics, even after the announcement.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    double post

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    SWTOR was released in 2011, which was before the announcement. Fact File was published in January, also before the announcement.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Each issue has been coming out each month though - even after the announcement.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    but the first issue came out before the announcement. Any subsequent issues are merely a continuation of the first issue, not new entries in the holocron.

11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, like the Empire and Rebellion series? Imperial Handbook is also implicitly the fourth in a series of releases. What about the RPG? If it was such a simple, clear-cut case, why have we got conflicting information, when we're not getting "I don't know"? Insider existed before, yet new issues are apparently part of the NEU.

The truth of the matter is that it's a wholly arbitary distinction that they hadn't thought through - and yes, someone official actually stating something would be needed. Feel free to ask Heddle or one of the other StoryGroup and see if you can get a response. Or better yet, author Dan Wallace.

Zorrixor likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    No it isn't. I know what books you're referring to, but those are just written in the same format, not part of the same series. Insider is a general Star Wars magazine, not a specific entry in the holocron.

Also, why wasn't anybody so confused before the Disney purchase?

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    What, like the Empire & Rebellion books?

It's an arbitrary distinction. Again, if you have specific information about the Imperial Handbook itself, I'll be glad to hear it.

Why would anybody be confused about a system that didn't exist at that time?

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Heir to the Jedi has been explicitly stated to no longer be part of the Empire and Rebellion series and has been rebranded (pre-publication) accordingly. Heir to the Jedi being an Empire and Rebellion book is like the Vong invasion being a Dark Horse storyline.

The system was in place at the time. There were canon levels, contradictory statements from Lucas and Chee, Infinities, Star Wars Tales, etc.

vong333

15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    So again, let's hear what explicitly is said about the Imperial Handbook.

StoryGroup? NEU canon? Legends? Nope.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Let's hear what's expicitly said by the president about the legality of robbing a bank. In the absence of explixit statements from those with power, one follows the general policy.
    It wasn't called "story group", but it was very much there.

There was S-canon, everything that TCW contradicted, the Bane novels and the Jedi vs. Sith comics, TOTJ vs. KOTOR technology, NJO Jacen vs. Denning Jacen, and Lucas's "parallel universe".

Jedi Princess likes this.
  17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    People were always just as confused before the Disney purchase. They just shrugged and put up with it because the PR machine wasn't going around claiming it'll be perfect.

If there are snide backlashes now, it's their own fault for making sweeping statements to the contrary. They'd be better off being honest and acknowledging publicly "We don't know" which is a perfectly reasonable and understandable position with the number of unknowns the ST will leave up in the air until Episode 9 is over and done with.

But if they bury their heads in the sand? Well, not exactly a shocker that it gets responded to with sarcasm.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Where have they claimed to know the plot of the ST?
    Timelines with both NJO and LOTF on them say hi.

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Of course the timelines of NJO and LOTF say hi. That's my point. That nothing has changed, and that it's irritating that so many have swallowed the "Story Group" rhetoric so far that they think it's going to suddenly be a whole new world that's going to be 100% perfect. Even when nothing has changed. The exact same problems will occur, because they always have.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I can't think of anyone who has bought into the story group rhetoric. I agree that nothing has changed, including the claims of the PR machine. The PR machine was always claiming that there was consistency when in fact there wasn't any consistency.

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I belong to a bunch of Facebook groups to get news and stuff about the books, and I've noticed most of them have transitioned seemlessly to this new EU/Story Group business without any question. I get the impression, which I didn't realize earlier, that a LOT of people who casually read the books (outside of the die-hards like the folks on this forum here) were largely unaware that the old EU was even trying to maintain a single continuity. They see the Story Group advertising "one canon" and they see that as a completely novel concept the SW publishers never tried before.

I've been... shocked... a lot lately. It's really sort of depressing. And it's not like these are new fans in these fan groups -- I read their posts and comments and they mention stuff from the old EU. But it just never dawned on a lot of these people that it had been one single continuity.

22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm dying a little inside.

Ulicus and darklordoftech like this.
  23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Well, I don't think it's that surprising - we've always known that we only represent an extremely vocal and statistically insignificant minority of the readership. The vast majority really could not care less about such matters.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    There's still something sort of... ethically (?) wrong with it? They spent decades publishing sourcebooks (not just crappy sourcebooks, but glossy ones with the pretty pictures, dammit!) to maintain the old continuity, so clearly it was important to somebody. More than two dozen obsessed Litizens. I had assumed people who bought and read those books realized they were made in an attempt to foster that single continuity. But I guess not.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

That's what you get for socializing with people outside of this forum.

Clearly the solution to your depression is to become more insular.