main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Jupiter Ascending," upcoming Wachowskis movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by Count Yubnub, Dec 11, 2013.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Unfortunatly it looks like there was no faith in this film being a blockbuster. Which is why it got pushed to the Feb date, where films go to die.

Notice that they didn't push it to the fall, which is also a big money season.

2. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    it's like a fuggin' comic book-less comic book movie.

3. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    To be fair, I've read speculation that part of why it got moved is that the studio was concerned about the tracking for Edge of Tomorrow and didn't want two potential tent pole failures that close together. I mean, yeah, that still doesn't reflect well on their hopes for Jupiter itself, but it could indicate that they weren't necessarily worried it would flop hard, just that it and EoT could under-perform enough to be a problem. Also, Fall is really competitive and considered the time for Oscar bait, not blockbusters.

I do agree it's concerning though. And since, regardless of the real reasons, the general perception is going to be that the studio thinks it has a stinker on their hands, which won't do it any favors. Jan/Feb are where flops go to die.

Real shame. I was excited for this one. I'm always here for a noble effort at space opera.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That doesn't look particularly interesting. In that first trailer, do they show her falling off the same high rise, or is it two different ones? And how long will Sean Bean survive?

5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Still, they could have released in September. Sept, is usually the start of the new movie year. Some early Oscar bate is released, as well as movies that may be looked at as being critcally liked enough to be possible money makers. Looper, Gravity(Oct 4, close enough though), DRIVE, You're NEXT, were released in September. Hell faith was even given to DREDD, which got critical praise, but didn't find it's audience. If you notice the smaller(as in to small to get oscar attention,but lets see what happens anyway) film festival movies that get critical acclaim are usually released in September.

To me this also implies that not only do they not see money in the movie, they also don't see critical praise either. Only assume that test audience weren't thrilled.

6. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    i'm pretty excited for this, loving cloud atlas and speed racer to all sorts of death, but tbh it's sense8 that i'm really looking forward to.

Boba Nekhbet, Frank T. and dp4m like this.
  7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    This movie looks like Chronicles of Ritalin.

Juke Skywalker and Darth Punk like this.
  9. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Based on that trailer the dialogue and Kunis's acting appear to leave something to be desired, but the visuals and space opera vibe alone would still get me in the theater.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    That's what it is for me too. I want to see what they do with a galaxy spanning civilization.

11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

Jew-biter Mass-spending

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Have you been videotaping me again?

PERV!

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Is this a Hope Solo joke?

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No, that would be: "Your only hope is solo!"

VadersLaMent likes this.
  15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Uh oh.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/do...y-jupiter-ascending-r-1684172129/+robharvilla

"3. I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, but Jupiter Ascending is basically a latter-day George Lucas movie, except you don't even have the preexisting familiarity with the characters to carry you through some of the leaden dialogue and empty CGI. Half this freaking movie is about taxation rates and committee meetings, and I have no earthly idea why. At one point, for no reason whatsoever, we get a five-minute-long montage of our heroes waiting in various lines. I'm not kidding about that, by the way: For whatever reason, in the middle of a sci-fi fantasy film, the Wachowskis decided to make some sort of point about intergalactic bureaucracy and governmental red tape. It's honestly one of the most bewildering things I've ever seen in a movie."

16. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I heard Channing Tatum takes off his shirt, so I'm pretty excited.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I shall see this tomorrow morning.

18. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Good news is that it has a whopping 10% lead on The Seventh Son.

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    So you're saying that calling it "the next Phantom Menace" is not a compliment?

SuperWatto likes this.
  20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004

21. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    By the way, Seventh Son is at 12%

22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    fixed

[​IMG]

23. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    as much as i would like this movie to succeed purely because it is an attempt at original storytelling (as opposed to reboots and resnoots), i would like it to fail much more.

jp-30 likes this.
  24. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    How did Sean Bean die in this one?

25. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    he took a dump and it bounced back out of the toilet and pierced his skull.