main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What could George Lucas do legally if they changed his outlines?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by J.J.Abrams, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I certainly hope JW does the whole ST, especially if he's already doing VII. I've accepted that other composers would probably do the spin off movies. My bet is that JW will "finish off" the main SW films (he's "finished" it twice before :) )

2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    My feeling from everything I've gathered about Lucas is that he's not really going to be worried about straying. I mean since he strayed so far from his own "outlines" at various points then he's not going to be very worried about other people doing the same.

He strayed at some point in every single Star Wars movie he did. From the outline or treatment to the story, the script and even after it was shot he strayed all over the place. Like I said he had one kind of movie going into III with an outline, threw that out and made another, did scripts change them, changed the script on the shoot then changed the movie after the shoot in major ways.

He knows exactly what an outline is. It's just an outline.

To me an outline is something with the major story points of a couple of pages. A treatment is more like 10+ pages or whatever and is a summary of the story like a synopsis. A detailed treatment is more like a breakdown of a rough scene by scene overview and is several dozen pages but has no dialogue at all or maybe some brief examples.

Maybe Lucas wrote the basic treatment then Arndt did the expansion and then his scripts.

Like you said though the basic treatment and it's background notes for VII-IX are about the galaxy and the overall picture then the main characters both pro and antagonist with key emotional and story points to hit but how to get there is up for shaping and then later all the detailing.

I think that KK is going to use Lucas as a resource get his feelings but then make up her mind on how best to use that knowledge he imparts and his attitude is no doubt that it's her company now and her decision.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Really? That's funny, because Lucas wrote those Treatments before JJ., Arnt, Kasdan, and Disney were involved. Lucas wrote the Story Treatments for all the Star Wars movies, OT and PT. Lucas really has nothing to prove; no need to trick the fanbase.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. J.J.Abrams

J.J.Abrams Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2014
    Agreed, he even changed the names of characters weeks before filming AOTC, Dex was originally called Dax, and Count Dooku was written as Count Doodu.

5. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    How ironic that the last post is what it is. I entered this thread to talk about character names.

The one contribution I hope Lucas continues to make lie in the area of character/vehicle/location names. Qui-Gon Jinn. Dagobah. Yoda. Jabba the Hutt. Han Solo. Endor. Genius. I hope the names given to the major characters in the ST were products of his imagination.

6. TooMuchBBQ

TooMuchBBQ Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2014
    I'm hoping that they leave George's input at the 'big picture' stage. Just an overall outline and maybe some character arc ideas.

Please don't let him write any dialogue or develop any 'funny' characters.

Jcuk, Dewback and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    I hope Lucas' ideas aren't treated with blind reverence. Use or alter the best of them, then fill in the rest with your own creative input.

dyous87 and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    I'm confused as to why this thread exists. Do you think Lucas can sue Disney saying "These guys I sold my company and outlines to changed them when I gave them full control over them"

9. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    [​IMG]

Please, George, give us Captain Shakespeare

10. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    I think the story structure for VII, VIII and IX treatments were locked into the contract. This is what Kathleen is there for to make sure Lucas story ideas survive the transition. She runs Lucasfilm. Yes it's Disney but she's there. If Rian is doing VII and IX screenplays than it will be based on Lucas story treatments. Now if there is a X, XI and XII than I don't know. But I think these next 3, it was in the contract that Disney follow a basic story structure that Lucas outlined. Remember even Lucas said "I'm here to tell them what they can and can't do as far as characters and who's powerful and who's not etc". I guess that's his role as a creative consultant. Now when Lucas passes away, I don't know what Disney will do with Star Wars. But I think we are safe with VII, VIII and IX which should lock up the Skywalker Saga with the original cast. If it goes to the next generation of Skywalkers as the years and decades go on I think we will get further and further away from Lucas's vision.

11. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    Wait... ...really? o_O

dolphin likes this.
  12. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I disagree with you. For me, the PT was just as good as the OT.

Meanwhile . . . what is the real reason why Arndt's screenplay was rejected by Abrams and Disney?

Wait a minute. Are you saying that the new trilogy will mainly focus upon Luke, Leia and Han?:(

13. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Guess we can put this thread to bed too. Not that it hasn't been sleeping for quite a while.

14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I believe the deal was Disney had access to the treatments, not necessarily had to stick to them. Lucas's recent interview seems to imply Disney is not going with his original plan and doing something completely different.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.