main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who was more powerful yoda or darth sidious????

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by deadly jp, Jul 28, 2014.

?

who was the true winner of the duek yoda or darth sidious?

1. Yoda

37.4%
  2. Darth Sidious

67.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    The fight between grand master of the jedi order and dark lord lord of the sith ended up as a draw but who was the true winner????

Yodas strength in the duel
    -One force push made darth sidious try to flee
    -Yodas mastery of ataru
    -Reflect force lighting with bare hands
    -Probably disarmed sidous as he didn't have his lightsaber later on the fight meaning yoda must be a better duelist than sidious.

Darth sidious strength in the duel
    -Hes force lightening is so powerful yoda (at the start) couldn't block it in time
    -Sidious mastery of all seven lightsaber forms
    -Sidious TK able to throw about 4 repulsorcasts at a time
    -Sidious speed to block yodas fast attacks

in my opinion I think yoda is a better lightsaber duelist then sidious but equal on force abilities
    overall I declare yoda the winner because when yoda blocked sidious force lightening he gained his confidence back but the power was to great which left him flying because his small size also yoda must be a better duelist because later on the fight sidious didnt have his lightsaber.

2. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Who won their duel?

Many would argue Palpatine.

Sitara and The Legions of Lettow like this.
  3. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    IMO they are equal.

Winner would depend on who had better use of their surroundings.

Sidious I believe simply won due to location.

Have them both on a flat surface miles away from anything then the chances of either winning would likely be 50/50

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  4. deadly jp

Jul 27, 2014
    Sidious had the higher ground thats why he was able to throw so much repulosorcasts at yoda, that's why most people thinks sidious is stronger than yoda.
    Also sidious keeps screaming when duelling yoda that could mean he was being overwhelmed by yoda's duelling skills.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I concur. They are equal both highly skilled and flawed in multiple ways.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  6. deadly jp

Jul 27, 2014
    Yoda has more years of experience.

7. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    Yoda has more years of experience.
    -------------

which didn't do him a whole lot of good in the end.

I have 2 problems with that duel in general

1) OT established size matters not, this scene indicates "only when it does"

2) we didn't see Yoda disarm Sidious, we instead see a cat and mouse chase on Mustafar and this:

[​IMG]

I want to see exactly how the Yoda/Sidious duel got to point A to point B,
    as it stands trying to figure out "who is better" isn't clear cut.
    Maybe it was intentional.

TX-20 likes this.
  8. deadly jp

Jul 27, 2014
    But at the start of the duel, darth sidious tryed to run away.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Possibly because he sensed Vader was in danger at that moment - and knew Yoda was there partly to keep him busy while Obi-Wan took on Anakin.

Or, they're close enough in capabilities, and Palpatine is cautious enough, that he initially thinks that even, say, a 40% chance of losing the duel is unacceptably high.

AusStig and Darth Nerdling like this.
  10. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    and in the end Yoda did,

running away isn't necessarily a sign of weakness, but a sign of good strategy,

when playing chess for example, moving a piece you find valuable back a square or more is common sense :p

and of course there is that ancient Chinese Proverb [Jackie Chan] why fight when you can run? [Jackie Chan]

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  12. deadly jp

Jul 27, 2014
    Yoda only ran away because of the clone troopers, not because he thinks sidious was to powerful for him.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda's thoughts during the duel, in the ROTS Stover novel:

There came a turning point in the clash of the light against the dark.
    It did not come from a flash of lightning or slash of energy blade, though there were these in plenty; it did not come from a flying kick or a surgically precise punch, though these were traded, too.
    It came as the battle shifted from the holding office to the great Chancellor's Podium; it came as the hydraulic lift beneath the Podium raised it on its tower of durasteel a hundred meters and more, so that it became a laserpoint of battle flaring at the focus of the vast emptiness of the Senate Arena; it came as the Force and the podium's controls ripped delegation pods free of the curving walls and made of them hammers, battering rams, catapult stones crashing and crushing against each other in a rolling thunder-roar that echoed the Senate's cheers for the galaxy's new Emperor.
    It came when the avatar of light resolved into the lineage of the Jedi; when the lineage of the Jedi refined into one single Jedi.
    It came when Yoda found himself alone against the dark.
    In that lightning-speared tornado of feet and fists and blades and bashing machines, his vision finally pierced the darkness that had clouded the Force.
    Finally, he saw the truth.
    This truth: that he, the avatar of light, Supreme Master of the Jedi Order, the fiercest, most implacable, most devastatingly powerful foe the darkness had ever known...
    just--
    didn't--
    have it.
    He'd never had it. He had lost before he started.
    He had lost before he was born.
    The Sith had changed. The Sith had grown, had adapted, had invested a thousand years' intensive study into every aspect of not only the Force but Jedi lore itself, in preparation for exactly this day. The Sith had remade themselves.
    They had become new.
    While the Jedi--
    The Jedi had spent that same millennium training to refight the last war.
    The new Sith could not be destroyed with a lightsaber; they could not be burned away by any torch of the Force. The brighter the light, the darker their shadow. How could one win a war against the dark, when the war itself had become the dark's own weapon?
    He knew, at that instant, that this insight held the hope of the galaxy. But if he fell here, that hope would die with him.
    Hmmm, Yoda thought. A problem this is ...

14. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    and in that sense Yoda wasn't confident enough (perhaps wisely) that he could kill a few clone troopers at a distance (remember Jedi don't need lightsabers to kill or mame) and then take on Sidious again.

Which leads back to what Iron Lord said

both didn't want to risk it enough, they both realised that at different times,

so evidence on screen doesn't back either as a clear winner.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think the movie shows it rather well, and it explains why Jedi do not just use things like telekinesis all the time. He used up all his power, he ran out. And Palpatine had fuel to burn.

AusStig likes this.
  16. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I think the duel itself ended in a draw, with both Yoda and Sidious being near equals in terms of sheer power in the Force. But, Sidious won the war and had the Jedi all but eliminated. So it could be argued that he is more powerful overall.

17. deadly jp

Jul 27, 2014
    But when yoda and darth sidious was in a force lightning chainlock, you can see yoda gets his confidence back and it looked like he was going to win but the power was to great so it sent them both flying.
    When they entered the grand convocation chamber i think from the start yoda was losing but at the end he was nearly going to defeat sidious.

18. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Sidious and Yoda were equal in almost every way. But, Yoda's arrogance blinded him to what was going on around him. And perhaps too over confident. Sorry, but Palpatine won the duel (even if luck played a part). It probably could have went the other way if they fought again.

AusStig and Seagoat like this.
  19. deadly jp

Jul 27, 2014
    I disagree with you, in my opinion it was a draw but yoda was gaining the upper hand at the end of the fight.
    There both equal in force abilities but yoda is a better lightsaber duelist than sidious.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I was under the impression that it was Palpatine gaining the upper hand. Yoda disarmed Palpatine, but then Palpatine disarmed Yoda, and Palpatine is far more dangerous without a lightsaber than Yoda is.

Yoda broke the "Force lightning chainlock" - but he has nothing to riposte with.

Ruffmeian likes this.
  21. Deltron3030

Deltron3030 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2014
    SIdious threw the Senate at Yoda. Debate over.

* and if the rumors are true about Sidious and Ep VII, the Sith attain what they were denied by the end of Jedi.

WayoftheJedi and DurararaFTW like this.
  22. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    It did seem like Sidious was more powerful then Yoda, but i can still picture Yoda defeating Sidious in better circumstances like in a area were its more about lightsaber skill then force powers but that's just my take on it.

WayoftheJedi likes this.
  23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    In my opinion, purely from what I can interpret, Yoda just barely edges out Palpatine in terms of lightsaber combat due to his stature allowing for much more agility. However, Yoda focuses mainly on Ataru, whereas Palpatine has mastered all 7 forms, and freely mixes them up during combat.
    However, in terms of Force powers, Palpatine is definitely superior. The reason he struggled so much during the lightning lock was, from my pov, because Yoda forced Palpatine's own power close to him. He's clearly in immense pain when Anakin redeems himself and his own lightning is redirected onto himself. Not to mention that it's powerful enough to illuminate someone's skeleton at its strongest intensity

WayoftheJedi likes this.
  24. DarthMaulFTW

DarthMaulFTW Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2014
    I would say Yoda. I believe Palpatine mainly used tricks to overcome Yoda yet he still failled to kill the little green master. Besides I've won more arguments by saying Yoda than by saying Palpatine.

deadly jp likes this.
  25. Darth_Magus

Darth_Magus Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Well as only old age could defeat Yoda in the end but Sidious was defeated by an old cyborg with one hand my money is on Yoda.