main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Why are the Droids and Ewoks Cartoons Ignored?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by lovelikewinter, Jun 26, 2014.

1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Again, there's no way the Droids' series took place only 5 years after ROTS — more like 15 years. Boba Fett sounds way too old to be 18, especially if he became the best bounty hunter in Galaxy. It would take years to achieve that kind of status. And the mention of the Rebel Alliance proves that it couldn't have taken place much earlier than ANH, anyway, which just so happens to be when Rebels will be taking place. Unless I'm wrong and it took 15 years for the Alliance to win a friggin battle. That would be ridiculous. :( And as far as the lightsaber goes, maybe Kanan was the Jedi Knight who gave it to Thall Jobin. :)

2. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    It will be interesting to see what Filoni does with R2-D2 and C-3PO. The Droids inspired episodes of The Clone Wars show that he hasn't forgotten Droids. If Rebels shows the droids somehow becoming lost then that could establish Droids as having taken place at the same time as Rebels. Another possibility could be the droids just being found after their wanderings.

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    You raise some good points.

That said, if I'm not mistaken, the c.15 BBY setting was assigned to the show after-the-fact (and even then, it was only "circa"). I don't recall anything within the show itself which claims any one particular date over another.

If Lucasfilm were so inclined, I imagine they could simply shift the timeline to something much closer to Rebels, if it helped to make things fit better, canonically.

Not that I expect them too, mind. Just that I think it could probably be done without anyone kicking up much of a fuss about it.

Oh, and incidentally, whether in Rebels, or some other canon project, I would love to one day revisit the topic of Joben and the secret identity of the "stranger" who left his lightsaber behind. That's one mystery which every kid who watched the show back in the 1980s wondered about, and Dave Filoni must have wondered about it, too. How cool would it be if he had the chance to be the one to finally solve that mystery after all of these years?

I know you were probably joking, but if it actually did prove to be Kanan? I think that would be awesome! :D

4. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Ewoks and Droids on DVD/Netflix would be awesome. I'm sure a lot of kids would love to see these shows. They aren't too violent and a new fan would gulp up any Star Wars they can.

FRAGWAGON and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I agree that a lot of kids would probably like those shows, but if I was making the decision whether to put them out I'd be concerned that some older people might see them and not give TCW and Rebels a chance. I can't blame them for wanting to keep their best foot forward. I couldn't even get through either series, personally.

6. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Droids does not fit into the canon - RotS ends with the droids as part of the Tantive IV crew and ANH opens in the same way.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That was mentioned right after ROTS, and rationalized with "they got separated from it for a time".

8. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    No, I don't buy into that - they are a part of the Skywalker family, always close by - Threepio is created by Anakin and passes to Shmi, then back to Anakin and Padmè, under Antilles ownership but close to Leia and on to Luke - Artoo is owned by Padmè and passed to Anakin and so on...

They don't belong anywhere else.

I do think Disney should release Droids, Ewoks Genndy, Clone War and the Ewoks movies on iTunes, Netflix and BluRay though -they were great fun.

If the books (and comics?) can be put under the Legends banner, why not those shows and movies.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Ignored? Depends on where you are and what is the general taste there. :)

The first season of the Ewoks cartoon is a cult favourite in my region and it was well-received by the audience, to the point a sticker album from twenty-four years ago is worth up to 50 Euro nowadays. Recently, I've been introducing my friends' children to it and the response has been tremendously positive, with the children's age going from 5 to early teens. One little boy was literally glued to the screen for the first three episodes and he expressed a great deal of regret that his parents do not own a computer or a TV at home, as he'd like to see more. And his mother promptly went for my favourite Ewok and said "this one is quite well-developed as a character, I can't believe this was intended for small children!". This makes me think that the children would greet these cartoons with open arms, not to mention us who enjoyed it as children.

I would too love a documentary, perhaps with interviews from the story editors, collectors, voice talents and so on; perhaps touching on how there's still a loyal, albeit small fanbase for these online.

I sure hope you're right.

Thuro likes this.
  10. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I like watching the Droids and Ewoks cartoons, but I mainly enjoy them for their campiness. They're fun, but they probably don't fit the image that Disney is trying to put forward for SW. I wouldn't be surprised if we never see them officially released.

Fortunately they are on Youtube and watching them in low quality kind of adds to the charm.

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You need to remember one thing: not all of the audience is from your country. The planet responds perfectly well to things people dislike in USA, more than often. And that's more than enough for a small-scale release of about anything.

Also, your generation was not old enough to see them on time, and the stuff aimed at people born in late 80s and early 90s is...debatable, thus having resulted in forming a taste slightly different than us who are a bit older and those who are children and teens now have.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    After 19 years? You really think that nothing would go wrong at some point? With all of the trouble those two got into in the movies, getting separated isn't really that much of a stretch imo.

LawgSkrak and Iron_lord like this.
  13. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Are you from Spain? Just curious as I know Spain loved the cartoons. Trying to track down the PVC figures released there is a pain, I'm going to have to sacrifice my soul to the dark powers to get a Paploo.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And according to the Rebels Visual Guide - Bail loans out Threepio & R2-D2 to the Imperial Governor on Lothal - their mission is to help negotiate an Imperial arms deal.

So we already have precedent for them being on missions away from Bail.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm guessing that LFL and Disney are so focused on their current and upcoming TV series and movies that they just don't have that much interest in the Star Wars TV shows of the past. Another reason that Ewoks and Droids seem to be ignored could be that LFL doesn't feel that they fit in with the modern Star Wars that they've created. They have a definite 80's feel and are not full of the intense action and battles that we have been seeing from the prequel era onward. It could also be that LFL and Disney are embarrassed by them or think that making these shows available to buy wouldn't turn a huge profit for them. It really is a shame though, because I'm sure that there are a lot of Star Wars fans out there that would like to be able to own these shows and watch them anytime they want.

kubricklynch likes this.
  16. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    You're absolutely right. I agree with all of this. Though I grew up with the Droids/Ewoks cartoons & think they're great, they are defnitely not as fast-paced as the much later Clone Wars cartoons.

I will also say this: Watching these shows in a sub-par format (i.e., poor picture quality/sound) affects my enjoyment of them. I did see the entire Droids series a while back & while it was nice to see it again after close to 30 years, the picture was awful. Ditto with Ewoks; for some reason that's even more difficult for me to watch in a sub-par format.

That being said, if the shows were cleaned up somewhat (they wouldn't have to look perfect), I'm sure I would enjoy them much more....

17. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Both shows were outstanding especially Ewoks. Sad to see no complete release to date.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Nope, Serbia. Back then we were Yugoslavia. :)

I have only one of those figures, the one you saw in that collectors' thread and well, you've experienced my character bias already (still need to write an epic response to that).

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And if something goes wrong, they can be separated that much easier. Don't know when the Droids tv series and comics take place in relation to one another but in something the size of the galaxy I can see them getting lost from Bail for a few years.

Iron_lord and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  20. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    I love Star Wars: Droids so it's a shame that it isn't canon. Probably because the show was ages ago which is why it isn't canon.

whostheBossk likes this.