main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    can we all just agree to not read or respond to this?

2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    moviefans stop.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    can we just admit that this was what we were waiting for from post #1?

Juliet316, Point Given and dp4m like this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The anticipation was so palpable I'm surprised nobody made a Rocky Horror reference.

Juliet316 and mavjade like this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... Ramza.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Alright Vivec, you're up. If you disappoint us, the shame will crush you for the rest of your life.

Juliet316 and blubeast1237 like this.
  9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm sorry, I'm just reeling from the inevitable let down that occurs when the reality doesn't live up to the expectation.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

So you're saying you didn't enjoy the antici...

... pation?

Juliet316 and Ramza like this.
  11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

So you're all for feminism provided it's on your own male-centric terms.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    [​IMG]

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If we can put a man on the moon, why can't we put all of them there? [/obligatory man-hating post]

14. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Budget limitations

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The way I interpret what he's saying is that there is a great deal of anger and thus radicalization to be found both in the rejection of patriarchy as well as the pushback against feminism. This becomes a negative cycle, not helping achieve true equality.

At least, that's my interpretation.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah except the man-hating feminist is a cultural myth propagated by right wing radio and other conservative elements. There's a reason Rush Limbaugh is the one who coined the term "feminazi."

17. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    What irritates me about what he's saying is that his entire post is one massive assertion with nothing to back it up. I'm fine with people presenting their viewpoints but when viewpoints are presented as facts it makes me feel like this:

[​IMG]

Why can't this:
    Be this:
    Or, if you're determined to go with the former, then provide some evidence in the way of links to sources!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    So the problem, I think, with assuming that treating everyone equal is the fact that the standard for equality is a male standard;not a unisex sex standard. Women shouldn't be treated as equal to men, they should be treated equal to a human being standard and with the respect as a human being and so should everyone. This is kind of echoed in relational feminist theory.

And there should be an anti-patriarchy attitude with the intent to bring it down. Its a bad system. Or, maybe its not, but I call systems bad when they are, by creation, purposed to serve only a certain group of people and everyone else is seen as an exception. But I also agree that things should be constantly reevaluated, but the current setup being what it is, I don't see a great deal of reason for a power feminist to change that mindset.

As far as moviefan's post go, there's not much substance to what he's saying so... maybe we can just overlook it?

19. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    That makes no sense whatsoever to me. Your 'unisex sex standard' has to be set to something. Now if we are going to assume that women are treated worse by society than men then presumably it makes sense for Feminists to aim to be treated the same as men, hence the word equality.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Exactly! It's one thing to fake all the moon landings in Burbank, but to send all of the men there? There's no way the city can pay for that.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's because men control the budgets! PATRIARCHY! :_|

His posts in a nutshell, and good idea.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    you're doing that thing where you think the definition of feminist excludes any man-hating, but you don't say so explicitly. it's misleading.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, I'm doing that thing where I recognize a bald-faced attempt to poison the discourse utilizing a lazy equating of anti-status quo with anti-male by people who can't be arsed to read the theories they're attacking.

24. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    In short, pro-female isn't necessarily anti-male. There's already a term for people who hate men, and that term doesn't start with an "f" and end with "eminist."

25. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    i understand. you really are saying that there are no man-hating feminists. ok... i mean, a quick google search disproves that, but whatever...