main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update MOD Mod Squad Updates - 2014 End of the Year on Page 6

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Jan 15, 2014.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You're just giving me more ideas Myke.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Mod Squad Update for the month of April 2014

- Grimby stepped down as Head Administrator, to be replaced by Ramza. The transfer of power is well under way. LAJ_FETT will remain as the Tech Admin and JoinTheSchwarz is staying as the sole Comms Admin. Grimby is not going away, as he's staying as a tech advisor, given that few people know as much about the board software and configuration as he does.
    - MOC Yak Face became the new Classic Trilogy moderator.
    - Bazinga'd was promoted to Manager.
    - A Star Wars academic research project was authorized by the site owners. Threads to the purpose were posted to SWC, EUC, 7SA, 7NSA, and Saga.
    - The Elastisearch plug-in crashed, as you probably noticed, causing searches to stop working for a couple of weeks. If you notice that some of your recent posts don't appear in the recent posts tab of your profile, that's the reason.
    - The boards were painfully slow during the night of April 22nd. Even though we suspected the possibility of some kind of DDoS attack, the reason turned out to be more simple: we were front-paged on Reddit and the sudden influx of lurkers was too much for our poor forum.
    - The E7 canon ruleset (Warning: link leads to spoilers forums) has been updated again, this time reflecting the official changes to the Expanded Universe.
    - There was discussion about the "no soliciting" rule and our efficiency deleting spam threads and banning spamvertisers.
    - Corellian_Outrider has started planning a reform of the Art forum. We'll have news on this subject as soon as the plans become more solid.
    - There were no April Fools jokes. We are adults in here.

3. Darth_Thump

Darth_Thump Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2002
    I was wondering what the whole trophy thing was, I got about 12 in the first go ... it's been a couple of eyears since I was here last you see.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    They're like Xbox achievements or Playstation trophies, except for the boards. They give you points, and the number of points determines the little title beneath your username.

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Mod Squad Update for the month of May 2014

- Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn became the new moderator of the Saga forum.
    - Corellian_Outrider has been keeping us posted on the progress of the Art forum reforms.
    - Two new trophies were added to the system: "Pop Star" for 50,000 likes and "Pop Sensation" for 100,000 likes.
    - The administration team posted a guide to IP checking for the use of new moderators.
    - In board outage news, last Saturday's was caused by an SQL crash. The boards have been running smoothly since then.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I am disappoint to see Modsquad did not discuss ways to get traffic to the site from Facebook.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    We briefly contemplated claiming that we had cutting edge gifs, but concluded that nobody would buy it.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

They should have been 'Pop Prince' & 'Pop God'.

:p

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I'll be a pop sensation by 2050.

EHT likes this.
  10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    We'll be waiting in line to give you your cookie.

11. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Stay on target.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I just got my Y2k trophy. I shed tears, I'll admit.

14. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    It'll happen one day, sir. :p

EHT likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I try to keep my likes-to-posts ratios close.

...not really, but it's funny when it works out that way.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Me too. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Out of curiosity, do the admins know if there's any timetable on the board upgrade to XF 1.3?

I know you guys have a tentative timetable starting this month, but since it wasn't mentioned in the last MS update, I am interested in its progress. Lately, during the two recent board outages I involuntarily wondered whether it had anything to do with admins testing the new software, or whatever. No hurry, of course, but I do feel like it's about time for a change.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The two board outages were down to SQL problems - first time it crashed, second time it was throwing 'out of storage' errors. We're currently waiting Grimby's availability - he is involved with Denver Comic Con which takes place this coming weekend.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Mod Squad Update for the months of June and July 2014

- Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn was promoted to Manager.
    - On the FanForce side, Corellian_Outrider became the new GSA, bringing the numer of FF administrators back to three.
    - There's been some talk on what to do with the LFL forum, given that it's been mostly dead and the moderator position has been "vacant" for months without anyone noticing. Options given range from merely allow any existing film mod to mod it to folding it into Community under the "Amph" tag. We'd be interesting in hearing your opinions on this issue.
    - There was discussion of whether to remove excessive personal info (address, phone #) from personal profiles. General opinion was it might be removed in the future, both to protect underaged posters and to stop possible spammers.
    - The question "are Kickstarters and similar crowdfunding initiatives considered soliciting?" was posed. Agreement was that yes, they were considered so. Some exceptions could theoretically be made for charities but only after contacting the Administration beforehand.
    - Although the default is still 30 minutes, edit times can once again be set by each forum's managers.
    - The Administration has been working on updating all of the Rules threads and making sure they are up-to-date and accurate.
    - There were several MySQL and Elastisearch issues and downtimes. All of them could thankfully be solved via the true and tried "turn it off and on again" method.

Bazinga'd , jcgoble3 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Would there be an option to fold LFL into Community using an LFL tag?

If not--we're looking at Indiana Jones, Red Tails, American Graffiti and Howard the Duck, right? And Indy gets the most discussion so make an Official Indiana Jones Film Discussion thread under the Amph tag, and then if anyone wants to discuss one of the other three films, make an Amph-tag thread for those?

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    It would probably use the existing Amph tag, yes.

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I don't know... There could have been an uptick in Howard the Duck talk after the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.:p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Where else am I going to post my daily gushing about Willow Ufgood?

24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    So there hasn't been an update in a while. Things have been slow. It looks like no one missed them, anyway!

We will be posting an end of the year update very soon.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012