main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics "Droids" Season 2, "Ewoks" Season 3?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kez-Iban, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    As far as I can remember, I don't remember ever hearing if a second season of Droids was already in the works before the series came to an end. Has anyone else ever heard of any unaired episodes? Same question for Ewoks. I have heard that there was a cancelled pilot concept for Ewoks that would have had an Imperial pilot crash landing on Endor, but have never heard if there was a season three in the works. I guess it's possible that Droids could have been planned to only run for one season, but I doubt it since Ewoks went for two. Another thing I would be interested to know is if any other Original Trilogy characters were scheduled to appear in the cartoons. Now in the era of the internet, we know all sorts of behind the scenes information on The Clone Wars, but still know very little about the making of the original two Star Wars series. I wish starwars.com could put together a 'behind the scenes of Ewoks and Droids' article to answer some of these questions!

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    No, I haven't heard much at all (if any) about continuations of the two series, but yes, a behind-the-scenes article concerning this would be interesting.

3. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I'm hoping one of these days Lucasfilm will put out some material about these shows. You know, a complete, high quality release of the entire series, and perhaps a making of/behind the scenes of book. Same thing goes for the Ewok film duology.

To answer your question, though, I've never come across any additional information regarding further work on these two shows.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    Maybe Tim Veekhoven could shed some light on this. He has contributed some great articles on starwars.com and I'm sure could put together a great piece on the making of Droids and Ewoks if LFL is willing to share with him some of the material that they probably have in their archives. Could be a great feature to commemorate the 30th anniversary of these shows next year.

AniSkylover and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I havent seen these old toons since the mid 80's.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This would be cool but I doubt it.

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    As far as I know - which is admittedly not all that far - it is fairly uncommon for cartoons to be worked on so far in advance like TCW was, so there wouldn't be a comparable stack of episodes in the works for Ewoks and Droids. That is merely a hazarded guess though.

8. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    Good point. According to the Wookieepedia article on Ewoks, season 1 ran for a little over 2 and a half months. Season 2 ran for 3 months. So if LFL decided midway through season 2 that they weren't going to do another season, it's certainly possible with such a big space of time between seasons that little to no work had begun on season 3. I would be surprised if the story writers hadn't started work on a third season Ewoks and a second of Droids, but it's hard to say about the animation department. With everything being hand drawn and painted, I imagine even one episode could take a long time to make, so I guess it's possible that at least some concept animation would have begun. Who knows though. Maybe LFL was unhappy with the final product or with the censors limitations as to what was acceptable on children's TV at the time so they just pulled the plug early.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I have this little fantasy: I like to believe that there were story concepts for the second season which was meant to look like the first and that some of those scripts were dumbed down to a certain degree. E.g. Night of the Stranger is surprisingly clever compared to the rest of the season, so is the series finale, so perhaps they were meant to be produced with the original art style and original complexity?

As for actual material other than story concepts, everybody who's ever tackled classic animation knows how much time and resources it consumes would doubt that...

10. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Droids was awesome. I'd love to have it on Blu-Ray.