main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

If that's the deal then this show just got a lot darker. It would certainly justify why the narrator keeps calling the Empire "evil" and that it's a "galaxy ruled by fear".

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Does it? Even if the torture is so I worry about the handling and the reaction. It's not enough merely to see it.

3. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

Quite right. I'll still see the first couple of episodes just to be able to judge it accordingly, but if they are like the shorts, the Empire being "dark" will not be enough for me to come back and watch more episodes.

Also, the handling of what and the reaction of whom are you referring to in your post?

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    The handing of the 'dark' topics like warfare and torture. The reaction of characters in-universe. That seems to be severely lacking in SW visual media. I consider that dangerous and bad form. Star Wars deals with serious things yet mostly treats it pretty shallowly in visual tv and film media. I think that's erroneous because it distorts what the topics impact in reality is.

darthosaka and Lord_Anzeroth like this.
  5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Yes, they're called "traveling racks," and are used both for carrying Stormtroopers and prisoners.

I've got one of the original Kenner versions, by the way. Pretty neat. And it comes with these black, I don't know, almost straightjacket thingies which go over the head and onto the shoulders of any prisoners while they are being transported.

I think it's awesome to see this old classic from my youth used in Rebels!

darthosaka and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013
    You are absolutely right and I completely agree. :)

Unfortunately, I really believe that Rebels won't be the exception regarding the handling and/or the reactions.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    That transport looks ridiculous IMO. Makes more sense as a prisoner transport than a troop transport. The idea of having prisoners contained to the exterior of the ship and exposed to the elements seems more cruel (fitting in line with how the Empire is). The way the troops are just sitting in these little slots on the side when there's a perfectly good interior that can't hold 6 additional personnel? It just seems awkward to me, especially when it looks like they are kept in an uncomfortable standing position.

I'm not knocking the toy. It like all toy vehicles had to be constructed in a way to accommodate the build of the action figures, which probably weren't articulated to really sit, and so are stuck standing. But in the comic book illustration, it just looks weird to me. Fine for a toy, but harder for me to picture troops really being transported like that in a Star Wars tale.

Again: Seems more apt for the cruel/uncomfortable transport of prisoners than as a troop transport. I don't know if they were going for the whole tank thing, where in WWII movies and such you will see passengers riding atop the exterior of a tank. But at least they are seated.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    DANG IT! I knew it sounded familiar! I literally went through half my iTunes looking for a song that sounded familiar to the Rebels theme because I was positive I had heard it in something else. I've got the score for The Terminal on my iTunes, but it never crossed my mind to check that one. Drat!!!

From one film score connoisseur to another Mr. Erevador, I salute you. This has been bugging me for a while.:p

Gallandro and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree it's a tad awkward looking, but to the bold part, the conceit is that there are Imperials inside, as well.

The racks, originally, were really described as for prisoners, with most of the Imperial troops who are being transported located within. In fact, the toy was re-released, minus the sounds effects, as the Imperial Cruiser. With the removal of the battery compartment, this version (the one I own, BTW) allows for more Imperials to ride within.

I don't know if the racks -- when used for Stormtroopers -- are meant for overflow, or what? A means of very publicly flexing their muscle? But they have always absolutely been said to be used for prisoners:

From a 1979 Kenner in-package catalog:

A thrill-packed working replica of the Imperial STORMTROOPERS "HOVERCRAFT" VEHICLE accommodates up to 11 STAR WARS Action Figures. With six original sounds from STAR WARS including C-3PO, R2-D2 and STORMTROOPER plus others to relive exciting events from the movie. Each sound activated by its own button. Front hatch opens to control area with seats for two STORMTROOPERS. Manual rotating laser gun and swiveling radar disk. Six side compartments hold captured rebel prisoners. Opening rear "DROID prisoner" compartment.

From the 1981 Sears Wish Book

Imperial Troop Transport carries up to nine of figures [1] - [5]--not included, sold above. Button activates six electronic sounds, including engine, laser battle, Storm Trooper and C-3PO voices. R2-D2 beeps. Laser gun dome and radar dish rotate. Front and rear hatches open. On the sides are six cell units to hold prisoners--2 immobilization hoods fit over their heads to "brainwash" them. Plastic. 5x5x13 in. long. Uses one "C" battery--not included, sold on page 502. Figures shown not included. For ages 4 and up.

Oh, and notice the note about the included immobilization hoods used to "brainwash" their prisoners? :D Great stuff!

Anyway, all I'm getting at is, although the comic panel (and the cool little story booklet which came included with the toy) show Stormtroopers, the way the toy was sold to us in its description was that the racks were meant for prisoners, and that's what we actually see in the Hera/Sabine clip. I'll be interested to see whether Rebels gives us Stormtroopers riding in the racks, as well as rebel "sympathizers"?

That's a pretty good take, I think.

darthosaka and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    Anyone got A New Dawn already?

11. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014

I do. Its really good so far.

I hope Rae Sloane is in Rebels.

12. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    I ordered it from amazon and they still haven't even shipped it. *sigh* At least its nice to know its a good book.

13. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    I ordered it from Amazon too, and it just shipped today. Hopefully yours ships soon too!

Jax_the_Admiral likes this.
  14. MrRC-Sev

MrRC-Sev Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2014
    Is it a good video game?

15. vstarvan

Aug 11, 2013
    Is what a good video game?

16. MrRC-Sev

MrRC-Sev Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2014
    A new dawn or something

Nvm it's a book.

17. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
  18. vstarvan

Aug 11, 2013
  19. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Got it. Finished it. Posted my spoiler-y impressions over in the Lit forum. I will drop one spoiler tidbit here that will likely be relevant to the show:
    Five words, quote: "Kanan Jarrus was in love."
    If there was a doubt before, there's not one now. Kanan, at least, is very attracted to Hera, almost to the point of it being love at first sight, though the attraction is purely physical at first.

Hera, for her part, likes him, but seems content to neither encourage nor reject his attraction for the time being. Then again, this book also takes place six years before the show, so that could change. In "Rise of the Rebels" and the preview clip with them and Chopper, she's certainly warming to him quite a bit.
    Oh and no signs of Sabine or Zeb yet, so their origins are yet to be determined. Likely they're saving that for the show.

Gemma and darthosaka like this.
  20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Figured as much.

21. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Senator Kelberry While I agree that Kanan and Hera are in space-love by the time of Rebels, I should point out that in the line you quoted, Kanan is thinking about the ship, not Hera.

darthosaka likes this.
  22. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010

Eh. I read it both ways. It's true either way. :)

darthosaka likes this.
  23. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I need this book in my life. Off to Amazon I say go.

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    So in A New Dawn Hera is a bit of a **** tease?

Todd EDIT: Language

25. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

What do you think those lekku are used for...

darthosaka likes this.