main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Me likey. Me likey a lot. :D Thanks, JadeLotus!

JadeLotus likes this.
  2. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    To rephrase mine if it fits the challenge better: "Mara's first day back at the Academy after becoming a Jedi Knight" ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    First day after a victory/defeat with celebration or commiseration. Now, someone ;) give me a mushy! prompt. LOL

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Umn, no one needed a prompt. So I'm not sure who this is supposed to be for.

BUT your prompt is First day back to parenthood.

AND IF NO ONE ASKS FOR MY TOTALLY AWESOME PROMPT, I'm going to make it october's challenge.

5. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well... I might as well make my presence known, as I'm one of fanfic authors active on fanfiction.net: including writing the Mara/Luke AU 'Infinite Rebellion' storyline, which, yes I'm still working on occasionally...

I've been working on a number of original works, but recently I've hit a bit of a writers block where one story idea has been taking a jackhammer to my creative process. Worse, it's Star Wars fanfiction, and... even worse then that, it's not Infinite Rebellion.

I've got a working title and basic plot outline, and it'd be very heavy Luke/Mara based, and totally AU from the last chapter of the Thrawn Trilogy. I'm more trying to see if there's enough interest for me to break down and start working on this ravenous hive of plot bunnies.

The working title I've got (It'll probably end up just being the first chapter's title) is simply: Rukh Fails.

The 'Meta' plot: Thrawn survives the assassination attempt during the Battle of Bilbringi, and manages to turn the New Republic's attack into a strategic defeat. Without Wayland, the Noghri, or C'baotha... Thrawn no longer has the military capacity to continue the offensive, and starts trying to use diplomatic overtures to pull worlds out of the New Republic while slowly rebuilding his forces.

At the same time, the Imperial Forces outside Thrawn's control begin to move... essentially moving the story into Dark Empire with Thrawn's Imperial holding in the rim acting more like a third side in the galactic war during the Reborn Emperor's campaign.

The story focuses on Mara and Luke struggling through this three way conflict as Imperial Intelligence tries to kill Mara, capture Skywalker, and present the both of them to the Reborn Emperor. I'll take elements from the Dark Empire era that I like while having Mara an active participant in the war... and ultimately building the Luke - Mara relationship up earlier then in the previous timeline.

JediMaster_Jen and Gemma like this.
  6. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Let me be the first to welcome you and say that I SHIP THIS BUNNY WITH THE FIERY PASSION OF A THOUSAND BURNING QUASARS.

*ahem*

I mean...please do go on. [face_batting]

:D

Revanfan1 and Gemma like this.
  7. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    stellarmagic01 - Count me in as a reader and supporter of the fic. Tag me in when you start, please.

8. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Sounds really good. Tag me when you post. :)

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So, Luke/Mara fans–this may be a bit off-topic, but if you like Luke and Mara at all, get A New Dawn. I've only read a few chapters, but I can already tell that Kanan and Hera are totally a reverse Luke-and-Mara. Kanan's a sarcastic, caustic person with a secret heart of gold like Mara, and Hera's the heroic freedom-fighter who seems like a naturally good person like Luke.

Gemma likes this.
  10. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012

Okay, I started writing... and am already 4k words in on chapter 1. The first chapter is all about Bilbringi and incorporates a scene from X-wing: Isard's Revenge and a scene from The Last Command, up until Pellaeon says the word Noghri. I've also written a couple big scenes that were gnawing at my brain (including an assassination attempt on Mara Jade that nearly succeeds, Kyle Katarn's first appearance, a debrief with NRI where we see Page's famous commandos, and a lightsaber duel with Luke and Mara -vs- Sedriss QL and Vill Goir).

Bilbringi is interesting... The way I've written it, Thrawn realizes that with Wayland under attack (and certainly lost by the time he can respond) that Bilbringi is no longer as valuable to him as it was, since he no longer has the manpower to crew the ships they're building. As a result, he turns the New Republic penetrating the defenses into an advantage - surrounding the fleet and essentially pinning them in the shipyards. This results in severe damage to the yards, while still allowing Thrawn to all but destroy the attacking force.

Ackbar will nearly be sacked (again), and after Thrawn seizes a couple more sectors in the aftermath - he stops offensive operations, as without Wayland he'll soon run out of steam. As this is happening, Thrawn directs Imperial Intelligence to assassinate Mara Jade, figuring that she alone is responsible for the New Republic discovering the location of Wayland, and sends six Star Destroyers to Honoghr as a punitive attack - which interrupts New Republic efforts to transplant the Noghri.

I'm debating just how heavy handed the punitive attack will be, as Thrawn has a history of wiping out species in the Unknown Regions - and the Noghri certainly did a lot of damage to the Empire already.

11. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    [Mr. Burns] Eeeeeexcellent. [/Mr. Burns]

I presume since you're just getting it off the ground you haven't begun posting - do you have a title yet? If so, I'd love to know what fic to look for when you launch it. If not, I'll just keep an eye out for your username over in the fic forum.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    stellarmagic01 -- let me join my yes please! to the chorus LOL I'll be avidly following this venture of yours and the "Rebellion" fic as well if it starts here. Luke/Mara are fantabulous! Mara period. [face_love]

Gemma likes this.
  13. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, it's in progress... Redacted

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey stellarmagic01, please be aware that you are borderline promoting/pimping your story, which is not allowed. This thread does allow discussion of story plots and specific stories, but posting excerpts is seen as promoting. Just be aware of this in the future.

15. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Sorry... I'll remove them then.

16. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Well, now, this is rather interesting. To me, anyway.

Stumbled across a photo of Mark Hamill from the game Wing Commander (I think) and found it hilariously coincidental that the woman on the right is a redhead. Aside from the differing costumes, that's kind of how I'd picture Luke and Mara around the SotP/VotF era (especially since he'd have some beard growth in the latter novel from their time on Nirauan) if West End Games had illustrated scenes from it. Just thought it was nifty in a throwback, what-if sort of way.

[​IMG]

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    OMG. Lol. I've wanted to play the Wing Commander games since I found out Mark Hamill did the live action cut scenes, but apparently they are pretty hard to find, and you need a computer from like 1995 to play them (and I don't want to play them THAT badly). But that is a great pic.

So, I kinda have 2 different ideas for an October/Halloween challenge. Do you guys want a scary-ish challenge (something with some real potential for horror) or a sillier challenge. I've been craving some horror myself, but what do you all think? Do you guys want an October challenge, or just take a month or two off before the holidays (because I REALLY want to do something for December)?

18. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find at least some of the cutscene stuff on YouTube. I mean, you can find anything on YouTube. :p

Heh, is there some rule that you can't have 2 simultaneous monthly challenges? [face_mischief]

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    There's like a 3 or 4 minute trailer for Wing Commander IV that uses pretty much all cut scenes, but I'm sure I could find an extensive walk through with all the cut scenes if I looked hard enough.

Ummm. There's no rule against it, but the whole point of a monthly challenge is that there is only one. Doing 2 would be confusing.

20. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I know, I know, I was kidding. :p THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.

21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I used to own III, IV, and 5 due to Mark's involvement. For their day they're good games and Blair (Mark's character) is an all right guy.

22. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Cool! :cool::D

I remember when they made a Wing Commander film with Freddie Prinze, Jr. and being all like, "Feh, it doesn't have Mark in it. Boo." :p

23. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Interesting photo! I don't think the costumes are that far-fetched, either. That blue outfit kind of looks like the utilitarian "jumpsuits" I think Zahn sometimes described Mara wearing.

Gemma likes this.
  24. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    No, they're not that out of the realm of SW; just remove the insignias. And yeah, Zahn never really described Mara wearing Teh Catsuit (until after it became a thing, when he started retconning it into books like Allegiance and Choices of One), but rather more practical stuff like this. In VotF I think there's even a quick mention of how Karrde supplies his employees with high-quality jumpsuits that repel dirt and oils, and that type of outfit above is definitely what I'd picture.

25. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have the game and the book and loved it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.