main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    @ThreadSketch: Yeah, I remember when they announced the WC film I was stoked then when I saw Mark wasn't in it I was actually rather upset. [face_not_talking]

2. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Love the flightsuits, but I can't stand that camera angle. It just over-emphasizes his wonky eye. [face_laugh]

3. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well... outside of the catsuit (which I don't like) we've got quite a few different outfits that Jade uses in the EU...

The Last Command - She's wearing a tight full-body jumpsuit with a camoflage pattern. I think this might be a 'one-off' for her, as I don't see her wearing camo unless really required. Also, the novels always have her using a 'sleeve' blaster which would be a bit hard to have a holster for with a tight jumpsuit.
    [​IMG]

Mysteries of the Sith - She wears something you'd expect from a smuggler, just with a few nods to combat utility (kneepads, huzzah!) While this image is from a mod, it is accurate to what Mara wore in the Mysteries of the Sith Game. The look of the belt buckle suggests it may be more then just a buckle but a personal energy shield (which would match game mechanics). I'm not sure its ever explained what happened to the purple-lightsaber she had in the game, perhaps she destroyed it while confronting Kyle.
    [​IMG]

Thrawn Duology - Blue-green tunic and trouser combination with shoulder pauldrons. Hmm, something she picked up from Kyle maybe? I've always had a sneaking suspicion that Kyle hides a shield generator in his shoulder pauldron XD. The outfit is greener in the other cover, but basically the same.
    [​IMG]

NJO Era - Faded bluegreen jumpsuit of a style similar to that worn by Leia on Hoth.
    [​IMG]

4. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I typically overlook Teh Wonky Eye, as well as his other flaws. :p We all get old, and most of us don't age gracefully, but his personality is so ridonkulously adorbs that I'll always find him endearing. [face_batting]

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It's also a green-screen shot (from the looks of it) from the 90s, and a really badly lit one at that.

Speaking of the 90s, oh those book covers. I love the bantam-era book covers from the early 90s. Some are just so awful, it makes me laugh. Sorry, but I can never see Mara in camo unless it is actually needed.

6. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    stellarmagic01 Thanks for sharing those photo/pics -- I really liked that last one -- the detail is unreal. I've read the NJO books --- don't remember that as a cover -- where's that from?

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Gemma, I'm pretty sure that last one is from the Essential Reader's Companion book, which is a rather pointless book now that the EU has been thrown out (I feel so bad for Pablo Hidalgo), but it has a ton of BEUTIFUL artwork and illustrations.

8. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I have one of the Encyclopedia's and another one done on the costumes. The Art above is very very beautiful -- it's like her hair is being blown by a wind machine.

9. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    But seriously, though, he photographs so strangely. In one minute...YES...in the next...WTF?? [face_tee_hee]

Let us embrace all the flaws along with the all the personality. ;)

10. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, they could be pretty ROTFL-worthy. Then when Drew Struzan started doing them, he's a terrific artist, but it always made me o_O a little to see a random portrayal of ultra-young versions of The Big Three on the front cover when they're getting older and older in the actual stories, lol. I guess the GFFA has Botox. :p

'Cuz our heroes always have to look FABULOUS while kicking butt. [face_laugh]

Yeah, I know - he did have an accident and had reconstructive surgery. Thankfully he lived through it and just came out with a slightly rearranged face. So he lost a bit of his looks, but he's still around and kicking, so it's all good. :)

Gemma likes this.
  11. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    The Bantam covers are all awful, in my opinion - I don't see Mara wearing any of the outfits she's depicted in (skintight full length camo? No. Robin Hood outfit? Double no.) Luke doesn't fare any better - poor guy never got a change of clothes from his ROTJ outfit! They both look better on the Japanese NJO covers.

Although I didn't mind the Truce at Bakura cover - Han, Luke and Leia at least looked something like themselves.

12. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    That thing seriously needs to be laundered by now. [face_sick][face_laugh]

Yeah, at least there it made sense for them to look young (although Drew painted ANH Luke, which looks a little goofy post-ROTJ, but oh well).

13. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Ugh, it annoys me so much. I mean, I like the costume and all, and I understand from a filmmaking perspective why they had him wear it to emulate Vader, but it just doesn't make much sense in-universe. What exactly was Luke's thought process? "Well, I'm going back to my childhood home on a desert planet with two suns and putting myself in a situation where it's likely I'll have to exert myself. Hmmm....I guess I'll wear BLACK pants and BLACK boots and a BLACK shirt - but not just any shirt, one with a HIGH COLLAR, and then I'll put a BLACK wool vest over the top, and you know, just because that won't be warm enough, I'll wear a heavy cloak as well. Sure it will be uncomfortable, but how else will they know to take me SERIOUSLY?" :p

The TaB cover was very pre-wampa, wasn't it? Hella cute, though ;)

14. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Eh, well, to be fair, layering seemingly heavy clothes in the desert actually isn't a bad idea - it insulates you from the heat. Granted, yes, the black color is too absorbent and white would be reflective, but yeah, this was done for narrative purposes. (And it's brilliant, since it neatly symbolizes his character arc from innocence to maturity. You can see that discussion here.) Still, it was indeed silly for every artist and their mother to keep him in the same outfit for the next several decades. :rolleyes:

From Luke's perspective, though...yeah, Wormie needs some dope rags to be taken seriously. [face_laugh]

15. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Oh, yeah, I do love the symbolism, but as someone who lives in an extremely warm climate, even looking at that costume makes me sweat! :p

That's why I like the Heir to the Jedi cover - new outfit! It's still a variation on a theme but hey, progress :D

16. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I agree - South Texas native here, aka Ovenland. [face_relieved] [face_laugh]

And I can personally attest to that - I'm very much a lady, but in my crazy fangirl days I cosplayed as ROTJ Luke...at San Diego Comic Con. [face_plain][face_shhh] Yeeeeah, it's warm. But KayDee is AWEsome.

Yeah, HttJ is bringing back the Original Captain Tightpants. :p

Exhibit A:

[​IMG]

Ehhh, he was rockin' the black well back then too. ;)

EDIT: Oh, yeah, almost forgot, 'cuz I haven't seen it around this neck of the forum's woods yet - HAPPY BIRFDAY, MARK! [face_party][face_dancing]

17. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Contrary to popular opinion, that is my favorite look. Yes, even with the yellow jacket (although imagine if it was blue... =P~ )

18. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Is the yellow jacket unpopular? I really like it! The brown pants black shirt is my fave as well, especially that photo.

And happy birthday to Mark!

Revanfan1 and taramidala like this.
  19. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I'll take bacta tank Luke. Ha!

20. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm partial to Dagobah Luke. :D

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku likes this.
  21. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I just call it the Bumblebee. ;) (But seriously, it is a rather dashing look. Kind of like a cowboy shirt. *waits for space cowboy puns*)

Of course. o_O[face_laugh]

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Happy birthday to Mark Hamill :)

I think my favorite Luke has to be the odd time we see him in actual brown Jedi robes, like the THTBAW Luke :p (I know you cant see much of his body, but it's clear he's wearing brown and greenish robes).

23. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Well now you've done it.

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    [face_laugh]I'm just here, dying.

And Mark Hamill is a Joker. :p

taramidala likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6