main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Path of Light - SJRS September Challenge one-shot

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ThreadSketch, Sep 28, 2014.

1. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Just under the wire! [face_relieved]

Thanks to JadeLotus for providing the prompt and brainstorming with me on this, although after thinking about it some more, I realized the timing just wasn't going to work for what I wanted to do. I can explain after the fic. I'll confess - I didn't really meet the prompt's expectations. I hemmed and hawed and tried a few different things, and ultimately chickened out and settled on this little, wimpy piece. Maybe I'll do better next time!

The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society's September 2014 challenge: First Day Back
    My prompt: Mara's first day as a full fledged Jedi Knight

A Path of Light
    A cacophony of life rose from the dense jungle and rolled through the humid air, in spite of the early hour. The rainforests of Yavin IV never slept.

How Luke could manage to meditate through all that ruckus, she'd never understand.

Leaning against a great column at the front of the Grand Audience Chamber, Mara Jade gazed out past the clinging vines to the verdant expanse below. Although dawn was barely approaching, Yavin's reflection almost always painted the night in shades of orange; true darkness was a rarity here. In spite of the irony Exar Kun had brought to this tableau, she supposed this was another reason Luke enjoyed the moon.

She was still ambivalent about everything, even though she'd made peace with her decision months before. Wearing garments more akin to Jedi robes than designer spacer's gear was an alien sensation, as was the fact that in four more hours she was scheduled to begin teaching her first official class on self-awareness and danger sensing, followed by hand-to-hand combat lessons in the afternoon. The uncustomary nervousness worming through her gut had driven her from bed and up here to the chamber.

Luke – bless him, she thought – hadn't followed her. He understood her need for space. He'd been as supportive as he could muster, drawing near and retreating as her moods dictated. However maddening it could be at times, the presence of their bond was an intrusion she was growing to welcome more and more each day.

Having a fiancé for an instructor was surreal, although she'd come to have no qualms about calling him Master at certain times. Being able to make him blush in front of the students was just a little too enjoyable to pass up on occasion.

Mara fingered the cool metal of the lightsaber hanging from her belt. Luke had discussed constructing a new one; it was one of the chief rites of passage for a Jedi apprentice. Although it had been his gift to her, he had ventured that her own sense of accomplishment might be better satisfied by putting it aside to test her new skills and allow her to define her identity as a Jedi. She'd been touched by his willingness to have this piece of his family's heritage relinquished for her sake.

But no, she'd said. She'd never give it up or discard it, short of losing it in battle or passing it on in death. As the weapon of Anakin Skywalker and his son, it meant little to her. As the token of her threadbare ally and future husband's trust, however, it was priceless; more valuable than a Gallinorian rainbow gem. That gesture had set them on the long, tumultuous path that had finally brought them together a decade later, and opened up an even lengthier road of promise that had yet to stretch forth.

And besides, she'd reminded him, someday she was going to knock him flat with it. Someday.

She smirked at the memory of his surprisingly ribald retort and what had ensued afterward.

When things settled down – after the media circus that would result after Leia's public annoucement, after their wedding and honeymoon – Mara suspected she would soon tire of Yavin IV again, and though he was hopeful, Luke's expectations were no less realistic. But for now, the challenge of the praxeum was fresh once more.

She turned at the gradual sensation, and saw Luke standing far away at the entrance to the chamber. He hadn't made a sound, but the unfiltered brilliance of his spirit gave him away. He smiled softly, tender admiration in his eyes. Her contemplation was finished, and he'd known.

Smiling back, Mara descended the steps to join him.

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku likes this.
  2. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I loved it. The lines above though beg for a little more attention.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    That was really good. I quite enjoyed it!

4. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I'm afraid that's all you're gonna get out of me. ;)

Thanks, I'm glad you did! It's pretty underwhelming, but...at least I made the deadline. :p

5. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Lovely! :)

6. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    :D

7. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I like how Mara's thinking of the future even as she's rooted in the present. Yoda might approve? LOL I also like how this is sort of the pre-game moment of her first day, and we can fill in the gaps. I bet she did a great job and put a few students in their place. [face_laugh] I also really like her reflection on Anakin's lightsaber. Perfect!

8. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    This was wonderful! It think it still fit the prompt in the uncertainly and newness of Mara's life.

Loved this.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well done! =D=

10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Very nice!

11. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    AKA, me not knowing how to write action to save my life, LOL. I left it up to y'all's imaginations rather than fail spectacularly. :p

Yeah, the most important note I wanted to hit here was her fondness for the weapon Luke gave her. It's become something really meaningful to her because it's a symbol of his love for her. He didn't feel that way about her back then, but it's that loving, compassionate aspect of him being reflected in that gesture of him giving her such a major heirloom in spite of who she was.

I'd venture to say that over the years Mara would have probably had mixed feelings about the lightsaber - she was blown away by having it given to her, but there may have been times that she'd think, "Hmph, this is just his nagging way of guilt-tripping me into becoming a Jedi someday. Feh. Kark him, I don't have to." But at this point in their lives, it's a treasure to her.

Aye, there's the rub - writing a character at a time when she still hasn't gotten everything squared away. Mara still has more character development to go three years later in Survivor's Quest. As a soon-to-be-newlywed she's excited and antsy, and coming back to the Jedi path hasn't become boring again, but at the same time she'll wind up getting restless quickly after their marriage and wind up gallivanting with Mirax while Luke trains his niece and nephews. (LOL, cue JediMara77's EXONERATED: The Jade Terrik Adventures! 8-}[face_rofl]]

Thanks for the reads and the kudos!

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    ThreadSketch - beautiful gentle warmth permeates. You have Mara's attitude of "I'm enjoying this but I'm still snarky Luke." Loved that she calls him Master, already [face_rofl] ;) [face_love] She is so perfect for him, the only one who is or ever could be. [face_love] Superb challenge response. [:D]

13. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, it's, uh...more for recreational purposes. ;) :p *ahem*

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great piece showing Mara's thoughts

15. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Thank you! :)

16. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Very nicely done. I particularly like how you capture Mara's evolving sense of self and how that evolution is intimately tied to Luke but also in some ways independent of him. She is still herself even as what that means changes as she grows both as a Jedi and in her love for Luke.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  17. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I'm glad all of that came out in such a short piece. The effort was worthwhile then! [face_dancing]