main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    We've already had one major episode on the boards today. Let's not make it two.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I dunno, I guess Return of the Jedi?

jp-30 likes this.
  3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    i started watching queer as folk. it's pretty awful, but the chiropractor and Sean Astin are adorable.

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Season 4 opener of Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown. Shanghai. A great travel show, wrapped around the guise that it's a food show.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Semper I - Homeland

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I feel sorry for The Strain. It may be the worst show on television. Upsizing Salem's Lot into a major metro area seemed like a fantastic idea on its face, but the execution gets worse with each episode. Rarely does a show feature a group of protagonists that I'd like to punch in the face all the time, and yet they're slightly less annoying than the monster--modeled on Krusty the Clown--and the entire population of the United States that doesn't seem to notice or respond when New York City plunges into chaos/rioting/looting.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Is the show really that bad? I read the book several years ago and it was ****ing awesome. And I don't generally read/watch much horror.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Hell on Wheels. Excellent show.

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    it's really that bad. The only interesting thing about it is that they've ramped up the f/x requirements of their hive mind vampire/zombie Resident Evil creatures. I've watched it this long hoping that it would improve and find some kind of groove. The protagonists are so unlikable that not even the Vampire Doomsday Scenario can cheer me up.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I watched the fifth episode of "You're the Worst" on my lunch. It is a very good comedy.

11. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    It got less sexy, but funnier. I like it, hope it gets a 2nd season.

Diggy likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "The Simpsons Guy."

...I don't know what I expected.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It feels weird to post in a thread that exists because I was the biggest dumbass on the planet.

But it would also feel weird not to post in a thread that exists because I was the biggest dumbass on the planet.

Veep: Nicknames (2012)

[​IMG]

This episode isn’t quite as bad as the last one, but it’s still weak. The titular plot thread has Selina discovering that bloggers have given her nicknames. She, of course, becomes obsessed with finding out what they all are. I find this story really not funny at all; most of the nicknames are pretty lame. And does a woman who has reached the level of Vice President of the United States after twenty years in politics really not know that people give powerful people unflattering nicknames? And then the episode takes an odd dramatic turn near the end when the President kills Selina’s Clean Jobs bill and Dan, one of Selina’s staffers, manages to get it put on as an amendment to another bill. When the vote (coincidentally) on that bill ends up as a tie, Selina has to decide whether to defy the President and sneak her legislation through or to do the procedurally correct thing and kill the bill and, thereby, her own legislation. It’s really played pretty straight, but it just feels very low stakes and the sudden drama comes out of nowhere. I did really like a side plot where Selina assigns Dan to cozy up to White House liaison Jonah in order to get intel about the White House. Reid Scott as Dan and Timothy Simons as Jonah have really great chemistry and a scene where Dan goes along with Jonah to an extreme metal concert (“You know how extreme these guys are? They DON’T EVEN HAVE A NAME. THAT is how extreme they are.”) is hilarious. Still, even in a season that only runs eight episodes, the mid-season doldrums are still a thing. Hopefully things take an upswing quickly. Above average episode of television. Whatever. 2 ½ stars.

tl;dr – strange shift into drama in this episode’s third act is clunky and unmotivated; a couple of funny scenes can’t elevate a pretty mediocre episode. 2 ½ stars.

Coruscant and jp-30 like this.
  16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Hi 1.5, nice to have you back.

I'm hoping the new episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks is "available" soon. So happy they've finally ditched the guest hosts and have returned to a single host. Love the captains Jupitus and Fielding.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Veep: Baseball (2012)

[​IMG]

Veep recovers from a couple of lesser episodes to once again knock one out of the park. Hmm, pun not intended. In this episode, Selina has been tasked by the President with heading up a task force on obesity. She’s hosting a kick-off event at Camden Yard as the episode begins and the episode really piles on the laughs and the awkwardness as Selina is forced to schmooze with people she doesn’t care for in service of a cause she clearly doesn’t give a **** about. Then comes a surprising revelation and I guess I’m going to spoil this one because it’s kind of necessary to talk about why this is a great episode.

SPOILER ALERT

Anyway, Selina’s possibly pregnant due to an irresponsible, drunken night of unprotected sex with her boyfriend. This plotline really goes in some unexpected and hilarious directions. The phone call where Selina informs her boyfriend is great, as is the extreme difficulties raised by trying to procure a pregnancy test. When it appears the media has gotten wind of the story, things reach a fever pitch of hysteria. The climax of the episode is absolutely phenomenal. Louis-Dreyfus has a wonderful dramatic moment that closes the episode and, unlike the previous dramatic moments the show has tried, this one lands perfectly. It’s, as so many of Louis-Dreyfus’ great moments in this show are, totally wordless, but the slow push-in on Selina’s face as an incredible range of emotions play across it is an astoundingly great moment. In short, the show has once again given us a no-doubt great episode of television. Highly recommended. 4 stars.

tl;dr – hilariously funny episode with some genuinely shocking plot twists and character revelations manages a perfect step into dramatic territory in the final moments. This is great television. 4 stars.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Bananas, Crackers and Nuts from M*A*S*H

19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Boardwalk Empire - S05E04 - Cuanto

I tried watching the first episode of Gotham. I could not get into it at all. I'm not even going to give it the four episode test. I'm done with it.

20. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    A season 2 X-Files episodes that involved exorcism on a American/Romanian boy who's stillborn twin possessed him and made him kill his little brother, father and grandmother.It was creepy.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I watched the sixth episode of "You're the Worst" on my lunch. It is a very good comedy.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The Star Wars Rebels premiere.

I have brought shame to my family.

I liked it.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Thanks for that info. :)

Also, I watched the season opener of Never Mind the Buzzcocks. I like the new host, though he needs to be meaner to his guests.

I'll track down 'Star Wars: Rebels' today and watch with the kids tonight.

halibut likes this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Good news.