main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Calusari is the name of that one. It's one that doesn't get talked about as one of the best of the show or anything and it probably isn't, but it is definitely one of the creepier ones from the second season.

2. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    season finale of homeland S3. i think this was my favorite season of this show, actually. probably because there wasn't as much of the guy with the annoying scrunched facial expressions. enhhhh i'm a tewwowitht. i wish they gave f. murray abraham a little more to do other than follow saul around.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Poor Little Lambs - Sons of Anarchy

4. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I think the second season is creepy in general. I thought it was pretty good.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Blind Spot - Homeland

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    American Horror Story season 3 ep. 2

7. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    SOA - Poor Little Lambs

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Wendigo - Supernatural

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You're The Worst, episode 8. Episode 9 in about an hour...

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Good Soldier - Homeland

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Veep: Full Disclosure (2012)

[​IMG]

Well, here we are, coming up on the season finale. This episode has a heavy weight on it. It’s the lead-in to the season finale and it also comes right after the best episode of the series so far. The episode is somewhat disappointing in some ways, but it’s a solid enough episode. I enjoyed it, let’s say that. Why is that damning with faint praise? Well, funny as it is, it’s disappointing that the show dodges the huge plot revelation of Selina’s pregnancy last episode by just briefly referencing a miscarriage. What really felt like a plot development that would really impact the show is dealt with in, I’d say, less than ten lines of dialogue, scattered throughout the episode. I won’t fault Baseball; it’s still a fantastic episode. And I don’t necessarily blame the writers/producers for deciding they didn’t want to go down the baby road. But it still feels a little cheap to have something as huge as the pregnancy plot just hand-waved away.

But the episode is still very funny. The best plot thread has Selina threatening to fire one of her top three staffers, either Matt Walsh’s Mike, Anna Chlumsky’s Amy or Reid Scott’s Dan. The scenes revolving around her attempting to decide who to fire and the desperate efforts of the staffers to weasel their respective ways into staying are very funny. This one isn’t bad at all and I suppose it’s a measure of the good-will the show has built up over these seven episodes so far that I was able to accept the miscarriage resolution without feeling particularly cheated or angry. It’s a good show. Recommended if you’re into it. 3 stars.

tl;dr – episode is solid, if mostly unremarkable; an annoying, lazy plot resolution doesn’t sink the episode, which speaks well for the show. 3 stars.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Star Wars Firefly Rebels. Was expecting worse, wlii keep watching (for now).

Actually, after that I watched the first episode of the new LEGO Yoda Chronicles cartoon - some damn funny writing on that show, I tell ya.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Doctor Who: Kill the Moon.

14. Jeff McKissock

Jeff McKissock Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 11, 2012
    Ultimate Spider-Man: The Vulture

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  16. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Reign Season 2 Episode 1 "The Plague."

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Veep: Tears (2012)

[​IMG]

OK, so here we are; final episode of the season. I’ve been writing my reviews slowly (psychotic meltdowns will screw with your blogging schedule, I tell you what), but I actually blew through the entire season in just four days; that was less than an hour a day of viewing; two twenty-six to twenty-eight minute episodes a day is doable, even for somebody with my busy schedule. This is genuinely a case of a season you could knock out in a Saturday. I like these shorter seasons. It makes the shows able to be better paced and of all around better quality I feel and also the barrier to entry isn’t so high. Would I have been as quick to start this series if the first season had been twenty-two episodes; doubtful.

Anyway, on to the episode, which is another really good one. In this one, Selina has travelled to a political event in order to give a candidate an endorsement, but by the time she gets there, her approval rating is low enough that he decides he doesn’t want an endorsement. Throughout the episode, he flip-flops on whether she’ll be a help or a harm if she endorses him. The centerpiece of the episode is a hilarious scene where Selina breaks down and cries in front of him; the awkwardness of the scene is absolutely epic and so is her anger, once she recovers. Dan Bakkhedahl is the candidate and he’s fantastic. However, her staff decides that it will humanize her if she cries on camera, so they arrange for an interviewer to push all of her emotional buttons so she’ll tear up. This whole plot-line is really funny. Meanwhile, Dan’s political finagling has come back to bite him; to the degree that the show has a cliffhanger, it’s about an investigation into the backroom dealings on the Clean Jobs bill. Reid Scott has some nice moments; it’s nice to see the consummately poised Dan actually feeling threatened and acting stressed and scared. All in all, I thought this was a really good episode and a nice ending to the first season. Recommended. 3 ½ stars.

The first season as a whole? Well, I figured out what I thought I’d give it, which was a solid 3 stars, as in a conditional recommendation, recommended if it looks interesting for whatever reason. And then I just did a straight average of my episode ratings and it came out at 3 stars as well. So, I guess the first season gets a solid 3 stars. Certainly smart, certainly funny, certainly incredibly well acted and directed. Not going to set the world on fire, but a show that you’ll enjoy and enjoy quite a bit if you’re into political comedy or Louis-Dreyfus or some other element of the show. Second season blu-rays are already in hand, though I still need to finish the extra features on season one and I may watch some other stuff in between, I don’t know. But I’m looking forward to season two; I hear the show gets better, which would be great. Anyway, there you go.

tl;dr – very funny season finale juggles some nice plot threads and possibly sets up a nice tension for season two. 3 ½ stars. Season one as a whole is a consistently solid comedy with plenty of laughs and genuinely wonderful performances; a few missteps are to be expected and none of them are crippling and the show snaps right back from even the lamest bits to being really good again. Plus, it’s less than four hours and energetic enough to be a quick, entertaining watch. 3 stars.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Weekend - Homeland

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That's probably the show's peak. After season 1 it's a train wreck.

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Yesterday I watched 7 episodes of Arrow.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Jesus. Isn't that an hour show?

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Some Strange Eruption - Sons of Anarchy

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Forever ep. 4- The Art of Murder

I always like good detective shows, and though I'm not watching this show regularly as of now I do tune in a little, mostly because it follows Agents of SHIELD. It's got good characters and the murder mysteries are decent so far. It almost reminds me of Monk, but instead of a homicide consultant with OCD we have a medical examiner who's immortal.

This was the first episode I watched all the way through, and I found it enjoyable. It had a good use of Henry's knowledge of the past to help him solve a case, combined with his natural deductive capabilities. Might pay more attention, now that I have a better idea of what the show is capable of.

24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Skin Wars Reunion. The Face Off / Creature Shop challenge format being stretched out to a season worth of repeating the same thing - body painting. Had its moments, but it didn't need a damn reunion show. More bickering, no artistic talent on display. Gah.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Gotham: A balloon, really?