main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Clone Wars Multimedia Project vs. The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Orman Tagge, Aug 23, 2014.

?

Do you prefer the Clone Wars multimedia project or The Clone Wars?

1. Multimedia Project

62 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. The Clone Wars

34 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. Werebazs

Werebazs Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2013
    Sorry, yeah when I use "nerd" in Star Wars contexts, I specifically mean the rabid EU-fans, who worship the EU as much or even more than the OT-maniacs do the OT.

Yeah, I guess that explains why is Grievous a ridiculously overpowered juggernaut,why the MM Clone Wars does absolutely nothing to expand Anakin's character beyond him being an ***hole, why does every single villain have the same basic backstory, and why is the tone far darker than it has to be in a Star Wars story.
    lol This is rich. Sorry to break it to you but the EU stuff has even less to do with the movies, than Ahsoka does. Regarding Darth Maul's survival...you do realise that your worshipped EU has several far stupider concepts of characters surviving Grievous injuries?

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    How are Labyrinth of Evil and Revenge of the Sith novelization not more than enough to make the Clone Wars and Anakin amazing?

Where was Ahsoka in anything related to the films as they happened? Grievous and virtually all other examples of survival stories are far more believable, because they all had medical attention available immediately.

3. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This EU stuff is getting too grimdork for me you guys.

AusStig, Davak24, Gorefiend and 17 others like this.
  4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I thought Star Wars was like Toy Story.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  5. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I personally like a fine blend of the two, where things fit. TCW, pre-Season 6 and with a few retcons/issues, still fits with the old project well enough. Admittedly you have to throw out Obsession, but one arc really isn't that huge a tragedy.

However, if I absolutely had to choose (and I don't, thankfully), I would have to keep The Clone Wars. We got plenty more of Anakin and Obi-Wan as friends, and the former as a well intentioned but brash and emotional hero. I actually liked Ahsoka. We got to see more of individual Jedi being good, individual Jedi falling, and the Order as a whole having issues and the Council being out of touch and flawed. We got the Clone centric episodes that actually made me care at least a little, where as before the clones before were the weakest part of the period for me. And practically all of it is on screen, masterfully animated and voiced (for the most part), and at the touch of my fingertip.

It's no contest, really.

Gamiel, Vthuil and Werebazs like this.
  6. Werebazs

Mar 20, 2013
    Let me ask you something. What's the total amount of time those and everyother darker and more violent scenes took in the movies? Fifteen minutes? Probably twenty. The remaining over 700 minutes are an equal mix of goofy, and cool.
    And what's the amount of utterly grimdark, totally hopeless **** in an average EU entry? 90% if I'm generous.
    LoE is okay, but in the RotS novelisation he is far more stupid and whinny than the movie version (seriously the scene where Palpatine reveals himself is laughable. He explains in great detail that if you want something just take it, and he still literally has to say out loud that he's a Sith for Anakin to catch up? And what about him getting jealous out of nowhere as Padmé tries to tell him that she's pregnant?).
    Where was ANYONE from the EU in anything related to the films as they happened? In the EU, that's where! The EU stories matters just as little to the Movies as Ahsoka does.
    You guys put way too much emphasis on this whole this continuity ****. The original trilogy is a continuity nightmare. The EU is a continuity nightmare. So why is suddenly Anakin having an apprentice is such a heinous crime? Nothing in the movies implies that Anakin couldn't have one for a while.

[​IMG]
    Right, totally believeable that he survived long enough to get medical attention...:rolleyes: .
    And how about Caleb knowing how to heal someone who's been burnt to a crisp and poisoned by creatures that's mere existence is such a huge secret that even the Jedi Archives barely has any mention of them, and using herbs to do it? Yeah...that's totally believeable. Or what about this guy http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Sion? Or Starkiller surviving being gutted, crushed and thrown into space?

7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    All I have to say to this is, if the opening epigraph and introduction to RotS novelization can't get your attention, then there is something seriously wrong with you.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

I would make a sincere argument, but I'm pretty sure it would be a waste of my time.

9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Maul was bisected and thrown down a nearly bottomless shaft, which is little different from what you are complaining about, while also having no one around to help him.

Davak24 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He hated everyone and he hated being alive. Plus he sold toys.

Pretty good guarantee that he would live forever. It was his destiny. As was the ability to drink tea without intestines.

Davak24 and spicer like this.
  11. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    At least the Seapertists weren't a joke in the multimedia project. I was a huge CIS fan before ROTS and TCW hurt them. I like both versions of the Clone Wars, but prefer the ones where the CIS were filled with freakin awesome villains that could bring fear to the Republic. Ventress seems to the only character done well in both versions, I'd say Dooku too but there just wasn't enough of him.

I will never forget the first time I saw the un-cowardly Jedi killer General Grievous in the microseries. One of my top 10 moments in all of Star Wars I think.

Davak24, AusStig, spicer and 6 others like this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Micro-series Grievous would not have lost to Gungans.

Davak24, AusStig, spicer and 4 others like this.
  13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I liked Grievous better when he was the Terminator

_Catherine_ likes this.
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't normally, empty post, but...

As we Friends say, "Friend speaks my mind."

But I guess to actually contribute:

I'd love to hear a single example of how the OT is a continuity nightmare. If that's not too nerdy for you, of course!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My 14-year-old cat with chronic pancreatitis can fight better than TCW Grievous.

AusStig, Davak24, Darth_Garak and 4 others like this.
  16. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

And yet how did Darth Sidious not realise that Maul was still alive? He managed to avoid detection by the Jedi Council but never realised his apprentice survived a vivisection and then a 100 foot drop down a shaft - smashing his body in various and obviously painful ways downward - then made it off world into the Outer Rim. It makes Sidious an idiot if he didn't realise. And Maul's body going down would've had broken bones, not to mention if he ever reached the bottom of that shaft, smashed his skull open. Physics works, even in Star Wars.

AusStig and spicer like this.
  17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    ...Kind of my point. If you're going to say that TCW is better than the old EU, and use as one of your main points of justification the fact that Grievous survived a bombing, then you're kind of being a tiny bit selective in your outrage over the believability of villains' injuries.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Sith Hunters, Maul lands in water.

19. Werebazs

Mar 20, 2013
    Ehm, How about Vader going from being the murderer of Luke's father, to being Luke's father? And Leia becoming Luke's sister?

Facepalm No, I did not use Grievous's survival as a justification. I'm not outraged by it at all. I merely pointed it out, that the EU has tons very stupid stuff itself.
    And yet, How did Darth Sidious not realise that Luke was on the shuttle that landed on Endor? Or how about he managed to lure the Jedi Council into an extremely well constructed trap, but never realised his handpicked battallion could be defeated by teddybears?

Riiiiight like Luke didn't survive the same, because he was lucky enough to be sucked into a ventillation tube....

Okay, now to clarify things a bit I don't care all that much about continuity, okay? For me Star Wars isn't about this continuity BS, and anyone who makes a value judgement based upon how much something fits into it, has probably waaaaay to much freetime at their hands.For me Star Wars is NOT about fitting every tiny-little utter TRIVIALITY neatly together. For me Star Wars is a feeling, and the EU has very rarely -if ever- gave that to me. For me Star Wars is as much goofy as it is cool. It's as much campy as it's serious. It's twice as much fun adventure, as it is violent and dark. And it definitely has at least a glimmer of hope even at it's darkest moments. The EU is all about being dark and serious and angsty, because True Art is Angsty! And that's why it's 90% ****.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd say only a small portion of the EU falls into this class.

AusStig, mnjedi and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm an inclusionist so I follow both the MM and TCW as both have good and bad things - TCW did good work with Anakin and Obi-Wan, it also presented the clones very well while the MM made the separatists a credible threat to give a few quick examples. Now some people prefer one to the other and that's fine, each person has their preferences and they don't have to justify or defend them.

Grim dark stories never bothered me, I tend to gravitate towards those. In fact if you look at my bookshelf you'll notice that the one thing all the fantasy, SF and historical novels I own have in common is that they are either about war or set during a war - and war ain't sunshine and rainbows. I enjoy the adventure aspects of Star Wars very much but the military side of it (the rebellion vs the Empire) is what ultimately drew me in and I stayed because I like the setting and the characters in it.

Now how much of the EU is grim dark ... well YMMV about it. It's a fair topic to discuss (so is comparing the MM with TCW, and looking at what both did right and wrong, and what everyone likes/dislikes). The one thing I would like to see however is a civil discussion about that, without resorting to ***** type of words and such (calling the Vong Dorks and people who care about continuity nerds -even if we are). When you criticize a work as being BS and a piece of ***** and just keep throwing at it, you also end up attacking the people who like it (or making them feel attacked which is the same thing). And that doesn't accomplish anything.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked the inclusionist approach in The Essential Atlas and The Essential Guide to Warfare.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A lot of the stories in SW are set wars. Last time I checked, wars are not full of sunshine and daises.

mnjedi and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, a so-called war story in which the pubescent heroes always beat the villains--who are always "old" (read: over 30) people without two brain cells to rub together; in which only the villains die and in dumb ways (like being hit with a paint can)--is not even worth laughing at, much less forming a fandom over.

mnjedi likes this.
  25. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012

Well for one, Luke pretty clearly would have died had his friends not been there to save him and give him immediate medical attention, and Luke only lost an arm in the fight. Maul got cut in freaking half, tumbled down the shaft, then thrown into a trash barge and wound up alive halfway across the galaxy with no medical attention. Not that I really mind because Maul was criminally underutilized in the PT, and it was good to see his character getting some development, but come on.

As for the EU being 90% Dark I call absolute and utter BS. Not even Dennings novels were not 90% death and despair.The Thrawn Trilogy, The X-wing Books, KJAs stuff, all were not anymore dark than the OT in the slightest and actually captured the sprit of the original movies far better than the prequels ever could, and Even the darker stuff, like Shatterpoint, or the NJO have plenty fun lighthearted moments, and even these books, for their darkness are hopeful stories at heart.