main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I don't understand.

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    This is what I said:confused:

My money is on Gleeson. For some reason I feel Issac is either going to be a by the book military officer under Solo's command or the morally ambiguous character of the trilogy - not a villain or hero - a criminal of some sort.

Never said or thought anything of the sort - where did you get that from "Yes, they aren't going to officially announce every actor. Only major players, the open call and the prize winner. "

That of itself isn't any indication of the significance of a role - but as I said above, I never voiced an opinion that the role was insignicant. Nor have I considered such a thing.

3. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Yes but I'm saying that he doesn't have to be a lead to fly back to London to take part in the script read. He could have done it because it was possible. Actors travel quite a bit if and when they can. He could be playing a lead or a supporting role. I doubt he's playing a role the size of Rabe, but he could be playing something the size of Sio Bibble.

You separated the open call actors from the rest of the announced actors which you labeled as major players. This indicated that you do not consider the open call actors to be major players but consider the rest of the announced actors to be major players. Even actors who were not at the script read or were announced later. Since you and I know that not every announced actor is a lead, that means you consider some supporting actors in the major players category. So now by saying you do not consider Clarke and Andersen's roles to be insignificant, it places them in a very strange and elusive spot which makes one wonder why they are where they are in your reasoning.

Given what is known about past script reads and what we don't know about the movie, Andersen and Clarke could very easily have a role as significant as Domhnall Gleeson, Gwendoline Christie, Oscar Isaac, or Max von Sydow. Who knows.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    He's playing Palpatine, a clone of Palpatine and Palpatine's son. All three are minor background characters though.

5. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    Gleeson is such a mystery. I feel he will be a baddie, though. Just because the goodie column is already so overstuffed.

What kind of baddie, I wonder? The new Tarkin? The new Fett? The new Emperor?

6. Varinnia

Varinnia Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 15, 2014
    wow [face_laugh]

Anything else? I think it's more simple and obvious.

starocean90 likes this.
  7. Lurknomore

Mar 18, 2014

Simple like... the new Maul? The new Jabba? The new Dooku? [face_whistling]

8. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014
    Judging by thread views on this board Gleeson is the third most "popular" actor of the new cast behind Ridley and Boyega. There's something about this kid that is just intriguing people. :cool:

I think it's a good sign he's still in the running as the third member of this new trio :D

starocean90 and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. Varinnia

Jul 15, 2014
    All begins with the new ...[face_laugh]

Maybe it could be [face_thinking] I see the character that many expect and others hate.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I agree. I said it earlier, but I don't see Gleeson as a baddie, at least not the way he currently appears. To me, this is bad Gleeson:

[​IMG]

Long hair, scary appearance, made scarier by his lack of facial hair. The jawline is very intimidating, so if I were casting and I wanted him to be the villain, I'd request he keep clean-shaven. He looks very intimidating like this. On the other hand, the way he has been since the casting of VII:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To me, the beard and hairstyle make him far less intimidating, even making him look like a person I'd describe as "kind," "heroic," or even "approachable." He looks to me like the farthest thing you can get from a typical Star Wars villain. Palpatine, Maul, Vader...even Fett under his helmet had a gruff, intimidating look. Gleeson, with this look, evokes a more Kenobi or Skywalker feel. Now, I've made it no secret that I hope Gleeson is a Skywalker (or, barring that, perhaps Obi-Wan's great-nephew or some other distant relation), but even putting that aside, I don't see him as a villain.

Although I do have to say, it would be hugely ironic if it turned out that Gleeson, one of the guys that people are expecting to be the third member of the lead trio, was the villain, while Driver, who has been rumored to be the villain since day one, was the third member of the trio. I'd probably laugh out loud in the theater–but I'd probably also be disappointed, honestly. :p

11. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Devin Faraci says Gleeson's character is a major spoiler.

starocean90 likes this.
  12. Varinnia

Jul 15, 2014
    I think he will be the good guy, somewhat awkward.

starocean90 and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. Lurknomore

Mar 18, 2014

Considering this is JJ Abrams, I have a feeling "The new _________" will be applicable to every character in the picture...

14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    the new what??????:p

Hopefully, he's not playing Luke's son who became evil and that's why Luke is also evil. (and with that we get 3 for 3 male Skywalkers who become villains):p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I could see him playing the role of the awkward hero.

Ridley: the new Luke/Leia/Anakin
    John: the new Han (?)
    Oscar: the new Lando (?)
    Dom: the new (PT) Obi-Wan

Mixing casts from the trilogies, sure, but I'd be okay with that. :p

16. Lurknomore

Mar 18, 2014

He's had that beard the entire time?

I'm calling it now.

[​IMG]

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Just curious–why?

starocean90 likes this.
  18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    so you think with Faraci "hyping" his role that he would end up being a Trooper????;)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. Varinnia

Jul 15, 2014
    You may be right.

But speak to almost all the characters and I think the options are few ;)

starocean90 likes this.
  20. Lurknomore

Mar 18, 2014

Because I believe this poster's black-helmeted rogue character really exists.

I believe the only bearded-good guy-Obi Wan type will be Luke.

I don't believe Gleeson would be playing a soldier, either of the Republic or the Empire, with facial hair.

I don't believe he would be wearing creature makeup over a beard.

I don't believe they'll have a bearded aristocrat/Emperor type.

So that leaves a mercenary who never takes his helmet off.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Fair enough. But my opinion is the black-helmeted mercenary might be Oscar Isaac.

Trebor Sabreon and starocean90 like this.
  22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    or it could be PP(Parkour Pip).;)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014

That's how I perceive Luke through the first half of ANH, actually :) I can totally see it!

Off-topic, but I forgot how much I miss using smileys when I'm on my iPad. I may have to boot up my laptop more often :p

24. Varinnia

Jul 15, 2014
    I can't explain it, but I can imagine wanting to be a farmer, but he must make a big decision.

Ignore me, I'm wrong [face_laugh]

25. Lurknomore

Mar 18, 2014

I have another theory about Pip, based on his age and character description...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.