main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I wasn't playing in the lead up to RotHC, so anyone who was might be able to answer this: how much info was released prior to launch? Are we likely to get more info between now and December or will this be it until it drops?

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    From memory, we knew practically zilch about RotHC.

Which was why I ended up enjoying it, because I expected the most boringly cliche storyline about Hutts and Nar Shaddaa, but I ended up pleasantly surprised at how original the story was.
    I can't say making Yavin's rich forests have some Rakatan background would have been much favourite idea, but at this stage, I'm just content to take what I can get when it comes to using TOR to answer as many of the lingering unanswered questions left by the EU, with the third Star Forge being one.
    Although there's no way in heck it'll happen, my hope is that Revan doesn't die at the end but that you free him from Naga Sadow's influence, and then unite with the Revanites to take on the Emperor in a final expansion in another year's time.

I'd just like to see Revan get to have a rematch with the Emperor one day, both to finish off the TOR era, and to allow the entire KOTOR/TOR/Sith era of the EU to be given a more satisfying send-off. (coughcinematicqualityendingvideocough)

RafSwi7, Kylun, Vthuil and 1 other person like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was actually thinking about SW overall. For example so in Dawn of the Jedi do the sith, who are (to my understanding) supposed to be pureblood with no human mixed in look like humans-sith hubrides
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Cronal, Zorrixor and darklordoftech like this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I wish to see some confrontation between Revan and Satele.

Zorrixor likes this.
  5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The mechanics will probably be up on the public test server in a few weeks. They'll probably keep the story under wraps, but some details will probably leak when people go digging through the data.

They're supposed to go into more details about the new replacement for skill trees, the Discipline system, or rather their latest attempt to kill off hybrid play styles, even the dev post references that goal. I don't play other MMOs yet, but based on the forums posts, they're following WoW's lead, hopefully the transition won't be too messy.

Lana looked like she had some special lightsaber color (wonder if that's in the cartel market yet), I'm curious if the rest of the Sith will ever find out about their ruler being an omnicidal maniac intent on godhood. I still have some mixed feelings about Revan being the new third faction that will be beaten up, but I hope to at least see Revan, Theron and Satele actually meet up on screen finally, assuming this really is Revan.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    With some Lana, right. Because Lana. Being Lana, and doing Lana stuff. Lana Lana Lana.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I remember the days when Naga Sadow was considered extremely powerful and was among the most talked-about and influential Sith Lords of all time.

[​IMG]

After all these years of (KO)TOR, it's about time that Sadow remind people who's boss.

Cronal, Zorrixor and Gamiel like this.
  8. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I stopped playing WoW after WotLK, but got back into it earlier this year to play Pandaria with a friend...

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was thrilled at the updates-- which did the opposite of what it sounds like TOR is planning, if you're correct about the Discipline system killing off hybrid play styles. Back when I played Wrath, WoW was a lot more restrictive, if I played a Frost Mage, I was a Frost Mage, and there were good and bad things about being a Frost Mage. Vice versa if I respecced to a Fire Mage (and god forbid even bothering to try Arcane in those days). But when I got back into WoW this year? It was entirely different. Any spec was viable, and all were just as viable for PvP, PvE, solo, raiding, they all worked. Yes, you have to play a bit differently, but you weren't useless just because you were the "wrong spec".

And that's why I loved playing WoW again, since I could just easily swap from playing some PvP to doing some raiding to going out and soloing, and my gear and spec still be totally decent.

I do hope TOR isn't doing the opposite, and going back to the most linear, restrictive setup, as that would be... irritating. They'd need to include free respecs, or double specs, or something (like WoW has) because if they want to box you into only being able to play Tank, DPS or Healer and never swap, then that's very, very yesterday, and not at all what I feel most other MMOs are doing today, which are embracing more player choice and flexibility.

9. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    News form the official SWTOR forum:
    - They will release solo version of Forged Alliances FPs.
    - SOR will include one singular storyline which is being told from two different sides and additionally, each player class will be given one unique Class Story Mission as part of the storyline.
    - No new PvP content.
    - PTS will be on a closed server.

Yeah, me too. The story was good but IMHO it lacked interesting characters. At this point Revan/Theron/Lana centric story looks far more promising.

10. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    RafSwi7 agreed. I loved the Archon in RotHC, but wasn't that interested in the actual quest givers that much. Theron and Lana seem much more well established (even if I've only watched the cutscenes on YouTube). Speaking of which...
    YES!!!!! [face_love][face_dancing]

The Extreme Moderate likes this.
  11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Hey, I missed the "Solo versions of Forged Alliance" thing! That is beyond wonderful news! :D

Zorrixor and Vthuil like this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    NEW

CLASS

STORY

MISSION

!!!!!

13. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Having played the game since beta (and still playing it), having 22 toon's with 8 of them being 55 and mostly 180 gear on all of them, I for one am excited about Revan's return. Imo KOTOR and SWTOR are at its core a Revan based story so it only makes sense to have him back in it. I am also glad Bioware got his armor set right this time, and not some ridiculous shoulder pad gear that looked like a 2 yr old designed it as the last version was. I'll be getting his new set to unlock in Collections for sure.

However, I would have liked to have some new character customizations. New hair styles and colors (or expand some of them to be used on other species), new skin colors and eye colors (for ALL), and more tattoos.

HAIL WOOK!!!

Zorrixor likes this.
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Is Revan a Cylon now?

Ulicus , Cronal and Zorrixor like this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Why is a solo version of the flashpoints a good thing?!

16. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Because some people want to enjiy the story with out having team members go "Skip cutscenes pls".

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    WoW pulls off letting you do easy mode or hard mode raids well enough. You can't solo Siege of Orgrimmar, but you can solo in all but name with Looking For Raid, which doesn't require you to be in any guild or even know what you're doing, as it's easy enough to just tag along provided you don't have a Leeroy Jenkins moment and behave like a complete total ass.

I dunno if TOR has any feature like that now or not...? Back when I played, I think there might have been... but it seemed fairly primitive, and more like the LFG system used to be in WoW back before I stopped playing years ago. I was very, very impressed with the new system in WoW though, and how many different modes the raids had, and how easy it was to "solo" it.

I didn't have the impression TOR had gone that far though yet? I last played when they patched in the Dread Lord planet, which I never finished, since I was so badly geared.
    Although I'm hoping it's not the case, and would prefer something tied to Naga Sadow and the Sith spirits and alchemy or something, but I must admit I won't be surprised if he is half-Cylon, having been remade with Rakatan technology akin to Vader, and now half-Rakatan-machine as much as man.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I just explained it was my first time and most players are ok with that. For example, with the Rakata Prime FP, we did it on launch day and everyone was new to that FP so we watched it.

But first time I did, say, the Korriban FP I was new to it and someone was saying "skip pls" and I said I was new and they were fine to leave it be.

There's something nice about getting a non-Force using party, for example - or just seeing 3 of you take the light option and one the dark, or vice versa. :D

19. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    When everyone is nice about it, it's ok but you never know when you run into that one guy. Also you might want to solo a FP in order to see a different outcome or branch to a conversation.

20. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Has anybody on here actually pre-ordered the expansion? If so, I have a question concerning the 12x XP boost. With you're leveling as quickly as you are, can you afford your abilities?

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I think they answered that on the official forums, that skills are free with the level boost- since otherwise you'd run out of money really fast. The bigger problem is staying geared. I haven't had time to try it myself (busy at the moment), but if you're doing only story missions, keeping yourself or your companion geared might be a problem.

Yeah, I always like to explore conversation choices, but its kind of hard to do that in a group FP. Also personally I never do group content much as I rarely have that much uninterrupted time. I can do some dailies for 15 minutes, but then I have to attend to something else in the house and so on. Also I just prefer to maintain control of how the conversation goes, so I'm glad to hear they're working on solo versions of the storyline so far.

SWTOR has respec but every time you respec you have to rearrange your hotkeys and skill tree which takes at least a few minutes. I've heard of people asking for... what's the MMO term, double-spec? Or at least saving a bar configuration between respecs, but that's been on the developers' supposed to-do list for a while.

22. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    "Revan was created by BioWare. He rebelled, he evolved, and he has a plan"

:p

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I just went from sub to preferred. Ugh, there goes 400,000 credits forever. Didn't even go to escrow.

24. DarthKenny

DarthKenny Jedi Knight

Feb 11, 2010
    That's what I'm hoping will happen, too. I would really like to see Revan team up with the players' team to take down Vitiate, and to die at the end doing it. It would be a suitable and fitting end for the character. WHo knows, Zor, maybe TPTB are indeed planning what you want.

Zorrixor and darklordoftech like this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It will come back if you sub again.