main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource National Novel Writing Month - November 1-30 2014 (All Over Now!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LAJ_FETT , Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the end of the year is creeping up on us which means November is right around the corner. And what is so important in November? Well for the last 15 years, it's been crazy, it's been fun, but most importantly it's the time to write your heart out because November is...

[​IMG]

What is NaNoWriMo?

At its most basic definition, National Novel Writing Month aka NaNoWriMo aka NaNo is writing a 50,000 word novel in the 30 days of November (That's only 1,667 words a day!). Many people get so much more out of it, some people don't, it's really up to you what NaNo is about. If you've always wanted to write a novel but never got around to it, this is your chance. You'll be doing it along with hundreds of thousands of other crazy people, so don't worry about being alone in your insanity!

NaNo is not about writing the next best seller (though it has been known to happen) or writing the perfect story, it's all about the writing. Repeat after me: "It's all about the writing." The goal is to get it all out there, get your entire novel down and don't worry about editing, grammar or plot holes... those are things that can be taken care of once the writing is done. This is a rough (sometimes very rough) draft. I'll say it again, it's all about the writing.

If you should decided to take on this challenge, I promise you this: you will write some utter crap so go ahead and turn your inner editor off now or it's going to be a long month. But in writing impetuously, you may find that giving yourself the freedom to just write -without worry- results in some truly amazing prose!

How do I participate?

You go to the NaNo Official Site and sign up. Don't be alarmed if it takes a while for the site to load, it tends to be a little busy this time of year. Then starting at midnight November 1st (and no sooner!) write your heart out! You can write in a notebook, on your computer, heck, you could write on your walls, just as long as you don't write the same word over and over again!

Don't forget to check out the official NaNo FAQs.

I've signed up, what do I do now?

Well, you can start outlining your story, make your characters, do some research (but remember, no actual writing until November 1st!) or if your more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of writer you can check out the Forums at the official NaNo site and discuss pretty much anything with your fellow Wrimos!

What Do I Get If I Win?
    Absolutely nothing!!

But seriously, you get to know you wrote a novel in 30 days. How many people can say that? Even if you don't make it to 50,000 words you've done more than the majority of people in this world will ever do! They also make some shiny web badges so you can show off to the the internet how awesome you are! There are also a few companies that give you discounts or something free when you win so I guess technically you could win something!

If you've read this far and decided this isn't for you, just remember you'll never make it if you don't even attempt it. Many people don't make it to 50,000 words but there's still a lot of adventure and fun along the way!

Still not convinced? Feel free to keep tabs on this thread and cheer on those who are participating. We will take all the cheering (and caffeine) we can get!

So you've decided to tackle the challenge?

Great! We are glad to have inducted you into the insanity... er, um... Welcome Aboard!!

[​IMG]

If you are planning on participating this year, post in this thread and if you use a different screen name at the NaNo site let us know that as well so we can find you and make you a writing buddy. Once NaNo starts keep us up to date on your progress and it will be shown beside your name on the participants list.

Throughout October there will be some discussion questions leading up to our insanity and in November we'll all cheer each other on while we write as fast as we can.

The Obligatory First Discussion Question: Have you done NaNo before?
    If yes: How many times? Have you won? What is your advice for someone who has never done NaNo?
    If No: How did you learn about NaNo? Do you have any questions for people who have done this before?
    And most important - what goodies will you stock up on to see you through NaNo?

With thanks to mavjade for the initial post, which I copied from last year's thread. The FanFic mods are battling Darth Real Life and probably won't be doing NaNo this year so I've volunteered to guest host the thread.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Participants List

LAJ_FETT (LAJ_Fett on the NaNo boards) - 50,518 - Winner!
    moosemousse (moosemouse) - 34,113
    JadeLotus ( jadelotusflower) - 50,007 - Winner!
    Darth Eddie (Will the Poet)
    Space_Wolf (Shistavanen_Jedi) - 37,540
    SabyneAmberle
    Jedi_Lover - 50,467 - Winner!
    Grade - 26,658
    ginchy - 20,072
    Ballad - 3,413
    gracesonnet (sonnet2005) - 50,446 - Winner!
    Ewok Poet (sheisalurdo) - 20,000
    my kind of scum (C.c. Russell) - 50,400 - Winner!

gracesonnet likes this.
  3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I've been wanting to do this for a few years, but given that my RPG storyline is rapidly approaching a major climax, I need to be focusing on that. So this is not the year.

Next year, however, I will hopefully attack this thing with everything I've got. :D

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Sign me up! I made a typo when registering and I'm moosemouse on the site.

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    First off, a special thanks to LAJ for hosting this thread this year.

I'm still undecided as of yet. My COMPLETE and UTTER failure of last year makes me want to try to redeem myself, plus this year I only have 2 term papers to write (~6000 words) as opposed to the 3 GIANT papers (~10,000 words) and a historiography midterm I had last November. PLUS I now live alone, so I can sit around in my filth and eat cereal for days and no one cares. I also recently got bit by a plot that is begging to be written.

HOWEVER, I also have a driving test in November, and I do want to do well on my 2 above papers. So I really SHOULDN'T do NANO, but I'm still so tempted. I'll probably see how much I can get done over the last half of October, then make like a last minute decision on my participation.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Participant list updated.

7. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm doing Nano, although perhaps unofficially since I'm not working on an original novel, but intend to write 50k words for my current fanfic.

I have participated once before and won. Unfortunately that novel is still languishing on my hard drive in its third draft and still a long way from perfect.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I have no idea what I'm doing story-wise. Guess I need to think about that soon! :p

9. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I attempted NaNoWriMo two years ago now and almost had an emotional meltdown halfway through and had to abandon NaNo.

Haven't attempted it again.

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, thanks to Laj for hosting! [:D]

I'm going to be gone the first entire week of NaNo which is why I had decided not to participate, but two of my roommates (and possibly the third) are doing it and they are trying to convince me I can still do it even missing a week. It remains to be seen if I will give it a shot or not, but I will admit, they are gaining ground.

11. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    My book took 4 years to write and didn't even reach 50,000 words... I will consider participating on the grounds that this sounds like an excellent way to practice and improve my production clip. After all, writing a novel has GOT to be easier than writing an epic poem.

One question though, I recognize I'm in the fanfiction department and I've done a lick of fanfiction in my life. Is that a requirement for our little iteration here?

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Nope, not at all! In fact a lot of us don't do fanfic for NaNo(some do, though), but since we are all writers here, we find it a good space to cheer each other on! Welcome!

13. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Well why not? Count me in! I signed up as Will the Poet.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You're on the list!

15. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I am attempting to do this, but I mainly to continue the Dear Diary Challenge as I have fallen behind in it. I'm not sure if that is cheating or not, but I will only count entries towards Nano once it has started, not what I've done before.

I'm Shistavanen_Jedi

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You're on the list!

I still have no idea what I'm going to do. Normally I at least have a glimmer by now.

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I had a dream last night about a medical urban fantasy, not a plot but just an idea. Apparently my subconscious really wants me to do NaNo. :p

Yeah, only what you write in November counts toward NaNo. It used to be they would say that only something you started in November counted (not that people always followed that), but they've since said you can work on something you've previously started.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I was thinking about re-using some of last year's characters and settings in a new story this year. If nothing comes to mind I might do that.

19. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    I had a friend talk me into considering NaNo, so why not? It'll also help me plan for a visual novel I'm wanting to create.

SabyneAmberle over on the NaNo boards, same as here.

20. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I'm trying to get some of the twitter folks to do it, but I don't think a lot of them will have the time. One of the most frustrating things about Nano is that it comes in the wrong month. I think it would be better if it was in the summer when more people have free time.

Findswoman likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    List updated. Chris Baty (NaNo founder) said in his book that they chose November because the weather is usually crappy during that month and people normally aren't on summer holiday. (It started in the US.)

22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    See, but even in the US, I think people would still have more free time in the summer—even here a lot of folks do go on fairly long vacations in the summer, I'd say more so than in November, where the crummy weather is mostly an incentive to hole up at work. I could see there being a lot of participation by people like schoolteachers if it were in the summer. :D

Just my two cents. I too am one of those who would love to do NaNo sometime, but the whole combination of the time of the year, plus being a full-time working mom, makes it hard to pull off. Someday, though, I hope.

23. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I've done NaNoWriMo before... But then my job gives me a lot of time to play with. I have a story planned for this year... But it's a long one so I doubt I'll finish it in the month.

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Do you want to be added to the list? If so, what's your id on the NaNo boards?

25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    They've been doing CampNaNoWriMo the past few years, it alternates what months it is (usually 2 of them), usually between April and August. It's not as popular as NaNo but a lot of people still do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.