main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Disney should make an Adult Oriented Live Action Drama.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by comet1440, Nov 24, 2014.

1. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    I know Disney is in charge now but does Star Wars have to be kid oriented? As a lifelong fan I am concerned about the future of the franchise. Do people really want to see a cartoonish kid oriented show like Rebels? The Star Wars universe has so much story telling potential and is above silly X-men type cartoon shows like rebels which I can't take seriously. Disney needs to tread carefully here. I feel the real success would be in doing a live acted adult oriented drama. Something along the lines of "Law and Order" "The West Wing" or "Homeland" set in the Star Wars universe. The potential shows could have plots tying them directly to events in the movies or could be independent/happen in a time period away from the movies. The fictional Galaxy of Star Wars is vast and has thousands of planets and the timeline spans thousands of years so the possibilities are endless as to what stories you could depict. The important thing is for the shows to have a serious/mature tone and be made in a manner in which there is no desire for them to appeal to a young audience (like, a 7 year old.). A show that would be fitting for a TV channel like HBO or Showtime, not something that would air on the Disney channel. A show that would be comfortable showing a sex scene. I'm not a professional script writer but here are some TV show pitches I came up with off the top of my head, to give you an example.

Show #1.
    Star Wars: Guardians of the Republic
    124 years before the events of The Phantom Menace, Jorsa Avrus, a senator from the Carosus system and leader of the core faction, has just been elected to his first term as Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic after a hotly contested election. At the same time, his daughter Lensa Avrus has just completed the Jedi Trials and is now a full fledged Jedi Knight. A few months into his term and after signing several controversial pieces of legislation into law, he survives an assassination attempt by unknown actors. With many in his own faction unhappy with how he is governing, rumors float of traitors within his inner circle and that a group of senators and representatives in his own faction are developing a plot to have him impeached. Amid all of this, the commander of his protective detail informs him that he believes there is a plot to assassinate him being formed by soldiers in the protective service who have been bribed by members of a rival political group, the Rim Faction. Unsure of who he can trust, he turns to the Jedi Council to lead an investigation into who is behind the attempts to assassinate him. They send Lensa (who only they know is his daughter) on a mission to the far reaches of the galaxy to investigate and ultimately bring treason charges against the powerful Zurac Exlam, king of the planet Sraxa and head of Perzus Banking Clan. A known Rim Faction henchmen and one of the only people in the Galaxy with the clout and deep enough pockets to pull all of this off. Meanwhile with all of this going on, Jorsa must balance his personal life, safety, marriage, keep his grip on power and deal with the stress of living day to day as the most powerful man in the Galaxy.

Show #2.
    Star Wars: Treason
    10 years into the rise of the Galactic Empire, Javen Vilner is a rising star in the Imperial Intelligence Division, when he is promoted to a newly formed task force directed to track and discover the identity of a high level mole within the Empire leaking crucial intelligence to forces not loyal. When Javen finds evidence leading to another IID agent, his friend and former mentor, an elder senior agent named Fikrin Zalus, he confronts him and is told a terrible truth. His father, a former Star Destroyer commander who died 7 years earlier, did not die in an accident as he was led to believe. The real truth is he was executed on orders directly from Emperor Palpatine himself after threatening to reveal the Empire's dark secret plan. To kidnap and enslave force sensitive children from Javen's home planet of Nesmor with hopes to breed them into a race of super force sensitive dark side wielding Sith warriors. When faced with this information and other news of the Empires evil ways, Javen must decide whether to remain loyal to the Empire, or switch sides and join Fikrin and other imperial officers in their efforts to feed intel to a fledgling organization known as the Rebel Alliance, who seek to destroy the evil Empire and restore peace and freedom to the Galaxy. (this could tie into how the rebels obtain the death star plans)

Show #3.
    Star Wars: Renegade
    (Setting: 74BBY)
    Tylo Menall, a well respected and prodigy Jedi Knight, is climbing the ranks towards becoming a Jedi Master, but is having doubts about the life he is leading. He feels out of place. He wants to know who his family is/was, he wants to start a family of own, but that is forbidden for a Jedi. He feels lonely and, despite his success as a Jedi considers quitting the order and leading a different life. He becomes distant from his Jedi peers, something they notice. One day he is called before the Jedi Council. They tell him that they sense something is wrong, and ask what is troubling him. He tells them how he feels, and asks them to give to him information about who is parents/family are and where they live, so he may make contact. They tell him that they cannot do that, and that is not the way of the Jedi. He must refrain from developing an emotional connection with people as it will only weaken him. This angers him and he storms out of the council chambers. A few days later, he decides to try to sneak into the private chambers of the Jedi Archives which only members of the council are permitted and steal the information he seeks about who his family is. He finds the information about what planet he is from and who his family is, but is caught in the act, and some of his fellow Jedi try to detain him. In a rage he ignites his saber and ends up killing one of his fellow Jedi. He is very strong with the force, and is able to fight his way out of the temple before he can be stopped and escapes into the dark Coruscant night. Now he is a fugitive. He knows he must leave. On the run, he finds transport to his home planet of Halbara, where he finds his family. His father has died but his Mother, and two brothers are alive and well. His brothers are both members of the Halbara police force, and under an assumed identity, Tylo decides to join. Now Tylo must work on finding himself, developing a relationship with his long lost family members, finding a wife and starting a family, and adjusting to life as a civilian who is no longer a Jedi. All this while balancing his new career as a crime fighter with the Halbara police force.

Show #4.
    Star Wars: Corruption
    (Setting: 1ABY)
    Venka Donnall is a career criminal who has worked for the Hutt Cartel as an enforcer for over 20 years, and has done well for himself.
    When his long time boss who heads the Hutts drug smuggling operation on Nal Hutta is killed, he is personally picked by a top Hutt Cartel Lieutenant as his successor.
    Now in this new position of power, he must balance his personal life, relationship with his former prostitute girlfriend, manage his henchmen and those working under him, and deal with the stress and demands of being a crime boss for the Galaxy's biggest criminal enterprise.

So do you think Disney should go down the path I'm suggesting?
    Which of my 4 plot ideas do you think is the best?
    Also share your thoughts on my plot ideas and post your own ideas for a live action drama.

Darth Rozic and Paparazzo like this.
  2. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Is it really necessary to start your thread off by mindlessly bashing Rebels?
    This will never happen in a SW show.

As for live action, I'm with the numerous other people who are dying to see an X-Wing show.

3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Slow your horse there buddy, while the ideas are good, Disney still has to prove they can deliver. Rebels while being reviewed quite well by the critics is still not doing that great, its animation a paltry smitten from TCW, they just brought out news on the Episode 7 trailer that is an insult to the fans and if the rumors are true about what the stand alone film will be about, it is sad news. I don't want an ocean 14 in star wars. No, hell no. So how can they do a good live action tv series? Lucasfilm-Lucas-Disney don't want to follow the succeful formula of Marvel so then what? I'm telling you this new incaranation of star wars will be crushed. The end of star wars is truly finally coming. Wait until the rest of the Marvel and new DC line up start. This won't stand a chance

4. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    >being this edgy

Arroway and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  5. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    Its never going to happen because star wars is a family brand and when you get a star wars TV show on ABC as dark asits going to get is some of the peter pan stuff from OUAT or the current season of shield.

JediFan215 likes this.
  6. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
  7. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    We should know soon enough since I expect a live action star wars series to be announced pretty soon, for the 2016 TV season. My guess is that its going to ether take place in the 30 year gap between ST and OT or after Force Awakens. I'd have it focused on the politics of a system/Planet on one of the core worlds and I'd use Kyle Katran and Mara Jade as the main characters and give them a relationship similar to Obi-wan and Ashoka or that of Coulson/skye from agents of shield.

8. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I'd watch this. ^ Can someone please make it happen?

9. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Sure! I'll call up the execs right now! :p

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  10. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    I think this thread is gonna be locked soon.

CoolyFett and Darth Doop like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "serious/mature tone"

Because adulthood is srs bsns and nobody is allowed to laugh at anything anymore.

Do people really want a cartoonish kid-oriented show like Rebels?

Yes. But that's why I'm going to live longer than all of you.

...a show that would be comfortable showing a sex scene.

Please let Kanan be involved.

All that said, I'd be fine with an Underworld show along the lines of Breaking Bad, or a Coruscant politics show along the lines of House of Cards, but I am really, really over the idea that an "adult" show translates to "no humor allowed unless it's a dirty Plinkett joke."

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'd love Star Wars to mature and serious but I don't view those terms as many do. Star Wars doesn't need sex.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  13. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    Fun???? THIS. IS. STAR WARS!!!!

[​IMG]

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

We don't need there fun.

Redimet and Jax_the_Admiral like this.
  15. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    AUH! AUH! AUH!

Redimet likes this.
  16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I remember there being talk of a live action show before the takeover. Hopefully they will revisit the idea in the future.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

There had been talk since at least 08 of doing it but GL realized how expensive it would be.

Redimet likes this.
  18. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    If Game of Thrones can do it, why can't Star Wars?

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Each episode would cost around 100 million dollars.

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I guess only time will tell if one will happen now though, and if they want to spend the cash to make it.

21. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Adult oriented? You mean like this?

[​IMG]

Redimet and Miras-Etrin like this.
  22. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    Hmmm Well in any case Disney plans to release a movie per year. So I'll make do.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

It might as well be a show so ya am I the only one more interested in the spinoffs then the main movies.

24. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    If the rumors are true and the first spinoff is a bounty hunter heist movie, then yes, I would be very interested.

25. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    How about Days of our Star Wars...

An epic tale of the forbidden love between a Tusken Raider and a Jawa, set against the stark Tatooine sky. They said it couldn't work, that Tusken Raiders were just vicious animals, but one Jawa proves them wrong, one Jawa takes off his/her/its? hood and leaves the scrap business behind to live with the sandpeople...:_|