main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Disney should make an Adult Oriented Live Action Drama.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by comet1440, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The way the economy is those prices aren't likely to hold long. Money doesn't equal quality, either.

2. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    That works better yeah. I could see it. Especially with the amount the special effects are going to cost to fund something like this.

3. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    Well any Star Wars show will be more like rebels where it sticks to a few different locals instead of spanning multiple locations like the films. Al

4. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Aren't we going to see a few other Rebel Cells down the road for Rebels here besides the Ghost Crew. ( Even though the Ghost Crew is the main focus) .

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  5. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Well I guess that's one way of making it more practical and feasible.

So in a KOTOR show, they could spend the entire first season on Taris looking for Bastila with different subplots in each episode throughout the season.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  6. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    Ok. When I made this thread I had only watched the first 2 episodes of Rebels. I will admit that I guess I just had a preconceived notion that it would be bad and that prevented me from watching further. Today I binged watched all episodes aired up until now after I saw so many people defending it. It actually does not pan out to be as kiddy as I suspected it would be. There are serious, somewhat deep moments/plot points. So I would like to scale back some of my criticism of it. My main gripe now, is the simple fact that it's animated. Star Wars shouldn't be animated, but should be shot with live actors. No more cartoons. Make a show with live actors, and a plot somewhat better then rebels (not that rebels storyline is bad, it's not, but there is room for improvement) and we will have a truly great Star Wars TV show.

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    While I would certainly be interested in seeing a live-action TV show, I do think Star Wars lends itself quite excellently to animation. I've enjoyed TCW, the micro series and Rebels quite a lot!
    Also Droids, Ewoks and that animated short from The Holiday Special of course.

8. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    Well... I guess its nice that it converted you. I take it you weren't a fan of The Clone Wars either?

9. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    As I've been saying, doing quality live action sci-fi requires A LOT of money. I agree that it would be cooler in live action but animation is just an easier format.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    For me the medium doesn't matter. Animation doesn't equal childish. What matters is handling and presentation, flow.

11. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    Yeah, I mean the does anybody remember the original Batman animated series? It was really good and gritty even though it was animated.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was never really a cartoon person until the microseries and TCW.

As I said, I'm on board with a live-action show rated TV-14 or MA, but I like what we have as well.

13. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013

Do you remember a little show called Farscape? It was created (partially) to show that Star Wars like production could be brought to the small screen. It was actually the first the show to use the term Feature Television. How did they get around the costs? They filmed in Australia. Still wasn't a cheap show by any means, one of the puppets used on the show was the most expensive one ever created.

Point is it could be done, and in the late nineties no less.

14. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Absolutely there should be some adult themed Star Wars content. A live action show would be the perfect format. Lucas must've thought this was a good idea. The show he was developing was said to be similar in tone to BSG. He even had RD Moore helping develop it. For people saying SW should always be family content & "for everyone", consider that there has always been SW stuff aimed exclusively at kids. That's ranging from kiddie books to shows to video games. The bulk of SW content should always be for the whole family but it'd also be good to have some content that is directed towards little kids & some that is made for adults. Once the kids grow up they can go back & watch this more mature content too. It's a no brainer IMO.

Trebor Sabreon and ScorpionJedi like this.
  15. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    So which of my 4 plots do you guys think would be the most interesting to see? and share your own plot synopsis for an adult themed live show. Maybe Lucasfilm will read them.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    ABC is going to be showing 30 episodes and two TV series of Marvel Cinematic Universe content in prime time this year. I think Star Wars live action TV being on ABC at some point is inevitable. My vote is for a summer TV series of aboot 13 eps or so. Be a way to combat the surefire FX cost that will ramp up any Star Wars live action production. Also if Star Wars films keep to a Winter release date, we can get a Star Wars weekly fix in the summer!

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Before I answer that answer me this did you like the clone wars.

My choice is option one because we need something in that time period and I like the Idea.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly, ever since Revenge of the Sith, I've always wanted to see a show about a band o' Jedi on the run. Maybe half a dozen. Whole lotta getting hunted down and defeated. Wouldn't exactly be an upper. Close after the end of ROTS so maybe we can see the origins of the Inquisitor(s?).

I got it! One of the escaped Jedi is a Pau'an! Played by Jason Issacs! And he has a .... temperament. And thinks there is another path.

19. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    The spacehip effects look terrible but I'll give props to the costuming.
    You've seen my KOTOR synopsis? There is a big audience out there that's into all that medieval and fantasy aesthetics as seen with Game of Thrones. Why not show off the "days of yore" medieval days of the Star Wars universe where we can have an era where both Jedi and Sith existed in thousands and frequently warred against each other? It's unlikely we're going to see that with the ST so why not here with KOTOR?

Just imagine amazing costumes like the Jedi and Sith garbs like this:

Also imagine stuff like this finally coming to life(If the ST doesn't end up doing this):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not sure about putting it on ABC. In Agents of SHIELD, the green screen was so painfully obvious.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Disney owns ABC. If there's a live action Star Wars series, that is where it's gonna go. Can't do much about that. that's why I'm saying shorter, summer "event" mini-series to at least spend more time on FX.

21. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    I couldn't into TCW just because I don't really like animated shows.
    Yeah I saw it, I too think a live action show set in the KOTOR would be really great because that time period hasn't really been explored much so that gives alot of room for what plotlines you could have, I was trying to think of a plot for that era but I'm a little confused about if it should be tied to the video game stories because now KOTOR1 and 2 are not canon right or are they?

22. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Right now it's Legends. Now that Bane is canon, it wouldn't be crazy to bring in Revan. They wanted to use both of them in the Mortis arc in the Clone Wars. Shame they didn't as everyone would have liked it.

23. hirsute_biped

hirsute_biped Jedi Knight

May 11, 2005
    Something with the production values and weight of Game Of Thrones, Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad, etc... would be awesome. It would be great if it could be done in such a way as to be appreciated by kids and adults like the original films, but I understand the desire for a gritty adult show to offset the kiddie cartoons and thus bring balance to the televised force.

24. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    I always thought the idea of a TV show based on a Rebel fighter squadron would be really fun. It wouldn't have to be something terribly deep or meaningful. No need to bring in Jedi and Force stuff all that much. Leave the epic stuff for the movies.

Instead, it's just a bunch of normal guys and gals who hop into a cockpit on a daily basis and duke it out with the Empire in space (or on the ground). Instead of watching the high-level Rebel operations, you see what it's like for the "normal" guys. Supply problems, breaking in fresh recruits, meeting up with underworld contacts, escaping from secret bases when they're discovered...etc.

Someone did a decent mockup of an intro for a Wraith Squadron TV show, using the old Black Sheep Squadron TV show intro. It reminded me of how fun (not necessarily good) those 60s and 70s war TV shows were. Black Sheep Squadron, Rat Patrol...etc.

Maybe the audience today is looking for something sophisticated like Game of Thrones, but I think they might also enjoy something a bit more simple and straightforward if it's set in the SW universe.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am still going with a show set in KOTOR time period.