main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode VII teaser trailer - it's here!

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by DarthWilliams, Nov 28, 2014.

1. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
  2. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    What did everyone think??

3. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Cannot get over how lame that lightsaber is...
    (The board must disagree with me though, because every time I come back, my post on it has disappeared.) Phineas and Ferb, leave the canon movies' sabers alone!

4. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    I like Sydow's voice as narrator and the Sith Broadsword; but it doesn't look like SW to me. it looks like a JJ Abrams movie - slick, empty images. Kind of like every modern movie. Dunno. I'm sure it will be fine; but no Luke, Han or Leia, Chewie? And all that shaky-cam. It didn't do much for me. At least we have some footage.

5. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    It's not confirmed to be Sydow. I've actually heard/read more speculation/"confirmations" that it's Andy Serkis.
    The shaky cam didn't bother me at all - it was only in the trooper landing (understandable for a shot done inside of a landing/moving craft to be a bit shaky) and the Falcon sequence, which wasn't any shakier than, say, the trench run in ANH.
    I, too, wish we had seen Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, or R2 and 3PO. But I think this was a smarter move by Disney - it gave us footage from the film to get us talking, all new faces, without really giving anything away. It did what a teaser's supposed to do - tease us.
    I'd imagine we'll see the OT characters out in full force in the full theatrical trailer, whenever that comes our way.

Revious Nugo and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  6. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I honestly don't think we'll see any of the OT cast in the trailers. But if we do, I bet it'll only be Ford. I just have a gut feeling that they will not want to spoil what's going on with Luke and/or Leia.

Anyway, I really like this teaser. There is an impression of urgency and intensity on the faces of our characters, which I like. And though some of you have an interesting point about it clearly being a JJ Abrams movie, I don't mind it. I try not to be too judgmental or have prejudice about what a SW film is or is supposed to look like. I'm sure that TFA will have enough SW elements to set it aside from other movies.

Revious Nugo, jaqen and Pensivia like this.
  7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    It's lacking something. Feels a lot more like a well-done fan film than a SW episode.

And that shot of the Falcon just looked . . . wrong, somehow. Looked too CGI.

8. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014
    I've been a Sydow fan my whole life I'm certain that's him.

9. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I loved this trailer, and given that the movie just finished filming, it's pretty freakin' awesome!
    I've got a screen capture of the X-wings as the cover photo on my Facebook page
    New Stormtroopers? Here? I must tell the others!
    The camera pan following the Falcon definitely drew from the trench run...It's exactly what I thought of when I saw it. Maybe it's the POV of a following TIE fighter.
    Indeed, the movie hasn't been given away, but oh the TEASES! I think the release of this trailer has accomplished everything they set out to do...get people excited and talking about Star Wars!
    Yeah Star Wars!!! AHBY!!

10. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    The voice is Mr. Andy Serkis. :)

11. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    They made a pretty good choice with what to show (and what not to show) to get us adequately hyped. As much as I'd have loved to see one of the veteran actors, Abrams was out to prove that the movie could stand alone without them. And it did give us the right atmosphere without throwing a bunch of Star Wars cliches at us. The momentum all lead up to the triumphant conclusion of the TIE Fighter chasing the Falcon. That's enough to leave any fan craving more.

Now for the nitpicks: the first part was a bit goofy with the guy popping up onscreen. I say that mainly because I've been fooled a few times with parody trailers, and immediately expected the worst. Something just struck me as funny about that. Also, the locations are rather earthly. We're not given much in terms of the lush planet atmospheres seen in the prequels (Felucia as a shining example).

I like the new Stormtroopers. Honestly, we've seen an evolution from the Clone Troopers up to the Stormtroopers, and this seems like a good progression. I wonder what (if any) connection will be made to the use of clones in the past (especially with the EU de-canonized); the unmasked trooper we saw didn't exactly look like Temuera Morrison. I was a bit skeptical of the return of the Sith after a fairly definitive ending to them, but the short snippet we saw leads me to believe we're in for something different.
    [​IMG]
    Aside from the crossbar, look at the blade; it's long, and looks more like a plasma blade than a laser. With the technology around, we're bound to see a counterpart to the lightsaber. Episode I gave us Darth Maul's iconic blade, so I'd give this new design a chance. Seeing it in action will be the final test.

The final chase between the Falcon and TIE Fighter was phenomenal. An effect that couldn't be done with the technology of the past really adds a new dimension to these classic ships.

Alienware likes this.
  12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I liked it.

It is strange to see such an obviously different visual signature on a SW movie and I'm sure there will be plenty I don't like but... yeah, got chills.

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    That lightsaber is stupid looking.

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Probably true. From the point of view of the average fan (and not us crazies who post on internet forums), the fate of the OT characters is by far the most anticipated part of this movie. Disney won't want to make the mistake of some of the PT trailers and unnecessarily give away those key plot points.

I have a strong suspicion Han won't survive this movie.... Ford has been trying to get that character killed for 30+ years, so he wouldn't have agreed to come back if he weren't getting his wish. However, Luke and Leia could come back in future movies, so it's all the more important for Disney not to spoil their roles in TFA.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  15. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008

Must be Gary the Stormtrooper from the Robot Chicken specials. :p

16. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    So, when the (Stormtrooper) gets up at the beginning...did anyone hear an "Imperial Code" being transmitted?
    Edit: You'll possibly hear it at 0:23-26
    Maybe it's just me!

jaqen and Dark Lady Mara like this.
  17. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013

I didn't hear anything until the person I was watching it with pointed it out (he said it sounded like the Imperial Probe Droid from ESB).

Edit: Though I liked the trailer quite a bit overall, I am also wary of the potential "slick-but-empty" JJ factor mentioned by EternalHero...the part that seemed the most like this to me was the part with the stormtroopers.

Alienware and EternalHero like this.
  18. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    Yep, I hear a probe droid.

19. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014
    Okay I played it on a big widescreen TV a few times and it worked much better for me. We're definitely past the GL era when it comes to the visuals. JJ's images pop and fizz but they still feel like advertising to me. The depth, breadth and elegance of GL's visuals are probably a thing of the past for SW. But seeing it a few times on a bigger screen certainly delivered some real excitement. I probably should have waited till my workday was finished before I watched it but there ya go. Out first new live action SW images since 2005!

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I must have watched this teaser 50 times today, easily. Just amazing. I like the level of information they're divulging so far (not too much, but enough to really get people paying attention), and the already classic-looking SW shots like Daisy on the speeder bike or the new X-wings over water. And I loved the opening shot of Boyega in his stormtrooper armor, looking really nervous and apparently on-the-run.

Also, please note: all discussion of the teaser here in the NSA forum must take place ONLY in this thread.

21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I love the new saber thing, but I don't get the whole "unstable" look to it

I don't think this mystery dude is a Sith so much as a "Darth Wannabe" or something

And I think it looks Star Warsy enough for me. I think what a lot of people are doing is being pessimistic about it and looking for every possible chance to say "It doesn't look like SW"
    We've seen 88 seconds of footage and barely 3 environments

jaqen likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Either old version of a saber, damaged in some way saber or crystal overpowering the saber or something are what I've come up with.

23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Yeah, my main theory right now is it's some kind of synthetic crystal or something

24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I love the feel of this! There's not much we can gather from these short clips, but so far, I get a feeling similar to what I got out of the PT trailers: a bit different because it's a new movie, but still clearly Star Wars because of the costumes and environments.

Regarding that sword, I think it's most likely a very, very old one.

EDIT: Oh my, how could I forget? That droid... [face_love]

Kiki-Gonn, Seagoat and FRAGWAGON like this.
  25. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm sold. The only thing that surprised me was how I was a little underwhelmed by the Falcon/TIE bit.

And even then, it was neat to see it soaring in a clear blue sky; like a kid with the toy on a summer day.

Love the saber, and more, how the villain lurches a bit when igniting it.