main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    For non-SW fandoms, see the post in response to Nyota's Heart somewhere before this. Yes, I have quite a few. :)

Aside from the beach in Mexico (where I think half the Southwestern USA goes on vacation :p), my favorite place that I've actually traveled far to visit was Inverness (Scotland, UK) this year. It's probably colder than snot in the winter, but in early September the temperature was perfect and I could feel what was probably a sea breeze (there is some part of the Atlantic nearby.) There's kind of a foresty terrain in the surrounding area (pine trees, lots of ferns and berry bushes of some sort -- maybe blackberry), and this neat river running through the middle of town that has paths you can walk. The paths even go onto some little islands in the river. The buildings (at least towards the area where we stayed) are very old and give the city a neat feel -- neither totally ancient nor modern, but a blending of both.

Nearly everyone else posting fanfiction feels the same way, at least a bit. Most of the authors (fan or otherwise) that you admire worry about the quality of their writing. When controlled and channeled, this is probably a good anxiety and means that you care about your projects. It's just really hard to learn balance with it (yes, we're going to the Jedi place, sorry.) And I wish I had better advice on that, because it's something I struggle with constantly. There are a few people with great stores of natural confidence. Try to be happy for them and not throw pies in their general direction.

In school, either history (because the past has always interested me) or art (because we were often left to choose our own projects) was my favorite. But in college, I went into a psychology major. This was the BA, not the BS which is a different and more science-oriented thing. It's not related to my current job much at all, except that they were looking for employees with a 4-year degree in something, anything, more or less. Since my job is odd and probably identifiable, I won't say what it is. But it's nothing to do with psychology, which you typically have to go for a Master's and/or PhD to do much -- this is for everyone's protection since it's worrying enough that psychologists call what they do "practice"; trust me, nobody wants a BA-only recent graduate working on their brains. ;)

Salamandastron, or something else with the badgers. I really liked the badgers. It's a little hard to distinguish between the books anymore since they did repeat the formula sometimes (it was a fun formula, though.) Outcast of Redwall bothered me because it seemed like Jacques was going to go somewhere more complex with the carnivores and then kind of swerved away from it. Not totally, but it still felt like a let-down. I'm fond of foxes and ferrets, so the always-evil of the Vermin was disappointing.

Music has a large role in producing plot bunnies, and I like to try to work out what songs are somewhere in the "soundtrack" for a story. It's fun when other writers note the songs that inspired them; ThreadSketch's soundtrack listings for her current fic are a nifty extra. I like a lot of the epic/trailer music genre for Star Wars inspiration -- Audiomachine, Thomas Bergersen, and Mark Petrie do some wonderful instrumental music. Sometimes there is a song with such good lyrics that I think about doing a song-fic (or at least something with a quote from the song at the beginning/end; does that count as song-fic?)

While actually writing, lyrics distract me so much that I really can't listen to songs that have them. Anything very fast-paced also makes my attention wander, so if there's any background music at all it usually has to be something slow and quiet. Nature sounds (ocean waves, rain, etc.) are sometimes easier for me to work to than music.

Hmm, hard to say. If the Jedi count as a culture (and it seems like they should, at least in the prequel era), then I'd choose them; I love seeing the traditions fleshed out in profic or fanfic. For cultures that seem interesting and which I would like to see explored more, the Mon Calamari. There are so many inconsistencies in their history thanks to the changes in canon, but it would be fascinating to learn more about how they came to create their starships and take on a central role in the Alliance.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Fanon you have about something in SW?

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I always liked the badger lords (and ladies) of Redwall too—Lord Brocktree was one of my favorite books in that series. I think I too was somewhat disappointed by Outcast for similar reasons; I kind of wished Jacques had let Veil go farther in redeeming himself. Though as non-villainous Redwall carnivores go, I thought Jacques did a good job with the ferret pirate captain Romsca in, I think it was, Pearls of Lutra.

Next question: have you ever met anyone from these forums in person?

Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  4. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    The Twi'leks have a bunch of colony worlds in the Ryloth system and elsewhere. It just doesn't make sense for them to all be from a tiny, scarcely populated world with a harsh environment when they're one of the dozen-odd most common species that we see in pretty much any crowd scene. Even assuming that most of every generation gets sold into slavery offworld (other fanon: this is one of the chief proofs that the Old Republic was kind of a mess; seriously, in umpteen generations they couldn't fix that and Ryloth still had a seat in the Senate?), the numbers still seem sketchy.

Taggerung looked like it might have something along those lines too, but I haven't gotten around to reading it.

No, I haven't met anyone in person. Though I remember a while ago some of the writers were scheming to meet up at a convention or something. I wouldn't say it could never happen, though it seems unlikely. :)

Note to everyone asking questions after this: I won't have Internet access to answer you for a couple of days. But I would love to have your questions and will do my best to slip the answers in early next week as soon as I get the chance.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What fictional culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

What real life culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Are you a morning person/lark, or a night owl?

7. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Do you have any pets?

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Do you come from a large family, and if so, where do you fall: first, middle, last? :)

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    What's your favorite writing workspace (office, study, kitchen table, etc.), and how is it decorated?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Who are your writing influences? I'm going through your story and whoa, there are a lot of good things about it.

What books are you currently reading?

(hope these two can be asked at once)

Kahara likes this.
  11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    What are your thoughts on the Episode VII teaser trailer? :D

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks Kahara for answering questions! Please feel free to answer your remaining questions!

Our next victim of FFAMA is... Ewok Poet

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm ready, I'm ready! :D

14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Ewok Poet how cold is it where you are? Did you get caught up in the floods?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Currently, it's around 10 degrees Celsius, so everything really depends on wind and rain. Today, it was raining, so it was too meh to cycle. We have pretty weird seasons here: autumn most certainly lasts longer than the other three, spring is a blink-and-you-will-miss-it event, one literally leaps from winter to summer.

Belgrade didn't get floods this time, minus one stream that took away a pedestrian bridge. The floods were most notorious in Obrenovac, which technically does count as a suburb of Belgrade, but it's 30 km to the west, where the river of Kolubara flows into Sava. Years ago, people were warned not to build their homes that close, as it could be an issue, but as it's the case with pretty much every ex-YU nation, nobody listened. Not to mention that they built a coal mine near that confluence.

If you're referring to more recent flows, close to the Romanian border, I'd say people in that area were lucky, as Danube is like a small sea there, and it could accept a large portion of water from the fast mountain rivers that caused issues.

If anybody donated anything to people here during any of these floods, we're more than thankful. And I do hope our politicians and tycoons are not reselling or re-purposing any of that.

Side note, in case your first question confuses somebody: I'm in SERBIA, a small country in southeastern Europe with a mix of continental and Mediterranean climate, depending on the area; not SIBERIA, as in, enormous area of Russia covering all of the northern Asia, known for cold. We were not in the eastern block, nor do we border any of the ex-USSR. ;)

Kahara likes this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I wasn't sure exactly where the floods were. I am online friends with an artist who later joined the Serbian military. He put photos online of the areas he went to to help flood victims. It looked bad. I am glad you are okay.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  17. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I ask this of all bilingual folks: what language do you dream in?

jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi there! Am enjoying your Ewok-centric fic very much.

My question is: What fascinates you the most about Ewoks as a culture?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    How did you first get interested in fanfic?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Who do you consider the best dressed male in SW?

Who do you consider the best dressed female in SW?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Have to ask this one ... What do you wanna see in Ep7? ;)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Are you into the EU novels and such? If so, do you read them in English?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Language-related questions: where/how did you learn English, do you write fiction in both English and Serbian, what do you find most challenging about writing in English?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I admire people like him, who were able to help out. I couldn't, as I was only two-three weeks into my therapy at that point and I had no stamina to lift sand bags or do anything of such importance yet. So, he's a hero!

Also, the footnote I added wasn't directed at you, but at anybody who could misread the weather question and lacks what I believe is elementary knowledge of geography. Hope that did not seem offensive.

This is a hard question, as I'm fluent in two foreign languages - English and Italian, I understand 90% of Russian and German though my writing in case of the earlier and grammar in case of the later aren't the best, and I started learning Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, French and Dutch on Duolingo earlier this year. Oh, there's also ancient Latin, which was obligatory for Italian language majors.

All jokes aside, I do dream in English often and I can write in it from scratch. All the fics I've ever written were/are in English only, and when it comes to poetry and, less often, prose, there are situations where I start writing in English only to realise that it would sound too simple or sterile in my native language.

I obviously get some tense combos wrong, put an extra article in one place and leave it in another, but hey. :p

(continuing)

Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Hello there, how do you do. :) Since the lovely Nyota's Heart started with exactly the same question I had been planning to ask ( :p ), and since you just ave the answer above to another question I had for you about foreign languages, I guess I'll ask about your interest in poetry: What kinds of poems do you like to write? Ever incorporated any in your fanfic writing? Any favorite poets and particular poetic influences on your own work?

Ewok Poet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.