main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Veep: Hostages

[​IMG]

Okay, this episode is . . . I mean, wow. This episode is as great as the series has ever been. It’s maybe the best episode yet. Anyway, some hikers get held hostage in Uzbekistan and Selina finds herself caught in the middle on the issue. It’s just a really phenomenal episode. Sufe Bradshaw gets to shine a bit more than she has before as the Veep’s Secretary; she has to testify before a Congressional committee on government waste and it’s a really, really funny scene. While Sue’s out of the office, her temporary replacement name of Cliff comes in and it’s a hilarious, cheesy performance from guest actor Craig Cackowski. Would that he’d stick around for a while. Meanwhile, Selina and SecDef Maddox spar over language: Selina says that there will be a “robust” response to the hostage crisis, while Maddox calls for an “aggressive” one and, no, Kevin Dunn’s Chief of Staff Ben informs them in a hilarious scene, those are not the same ******* things. Using the same words, Ben explains, is the only way to know we’re “on the same . . .” “Diet?” Selina asks. What about Gary Cole’s Kent? Well, he gets an astonishing scene where he discusses the hostage crisis in term of the noodles he’s warming in the microwave; the punchline to his monologue was so brilliant that it literally made my jaw drop. Then there’s a scene of Selina doing the swearing in ceremony for the new Senators. She’s desperate to finish in time to be in on the hostage rescue and the scene of her blasting through the swearing in is probably the funniest scene yet. But then the episode has a strange, utterly confounding and surprising climax as Selina is forced to face the darker side of being involved in international politics; confronting the reality that one of the soldiers on the hostage raid lost his leg shakes her to the core and Louis-Dreyfus nails the surprisingly dramatic scene. Yes, now that I muse on it, this isn’t a maybe – it’s DEFINITELY the best episode of the series so far. Highly recommended. 4 stars.

tl;dr – a hostage crisis in Uzbekistan gives us both the funniest and the most surprisingly dramatic episode yet; Louis-Dreyfus nails both to absolute perfection in this episode, the best of the series so far. 4 stars.

More Veep Reviews!

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Stargate SG-1 Season 4 Small Victories and The Other Side.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Once Upon A Time, Season 3, Ep. 14. I have struggled with this season, and then some. The Pan/Neverland arc seemed almost interminable and its final resolution seemed like a good way to end the series. Really, I would've been almost content if things had ended right then and there. But no. Now the..Jesus...******* Wicked Witch of the ******** West hit the fairytale @$$#0/3$ with yet another curse. And now I in the latest season the Frozen characters have taken over the first half of the season (or more?) and the villain has, you guessed it, hit the heroes with ANOTHER bloody curse. Seriously? Is every season going to be like this now?

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Stargate SG-1 Season 4 Upgrades and Crossroads.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    "Now?" There was a time when this series used different plot points?

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Buffy S1 Ep 2

7. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    A Fairytail episode.

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I've been binge watching it over the past few weeks. Season 1 was decent. Season 2 was...meh. But season 3 has been the worst. But having two separate villains use the same plot device within just two episodes is just woefully lazy writing.

9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Niel deGrasse Tyson's Cosmos season 1 episode 6 on Netflix in my PE class.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I am totally behind that, but does PE mean something besides Physical Education these days or something?

Veep: The Vic Allen Dinner

[​IMG]

So, Mike & Dan are tasked with writing a parody song for Selina to sing (oh, Lord) at the Vic Allen dinner, some sort of gathering where politicians play comedians. She ends up doing a parody of 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover; it isn’t very funny, but then I think it’s supposed to be bad. Gary Cole gives a masterclass in line reading by sitting in the audience and, halfway through the song, saying four words: “Well, this is asinine.” Funniest moment of the episode. Not even kidding. Well, except for one glorious scene in which Gary talks Selina into going to lunch with him so she can meet his girlfriend. And let me tell you, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Tony Hale and Jessica St. Clair around one table is like the comedy equivalent of whatever those ASMR people are always on about. The rest of this episode isn’t so hot. It’s the first episode of this season to just be kind of meh. The next episode will follow Selina and team to Finland on a diplomatic kinda thing; that has a lot of promise. We’ll see what happens then. Whatever. 2 ½ stars.

tl;dr – only one genuinely hilarious scene; this episode is the closest this season has come so far to a skippable episode. 2 ½ stars.

More Veep Reviews!

11. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    No, I was in gym class.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine... "The Road Trip"... a fantastic episode, with each plot being funny & interesting. Though the likely pairing up of Amy and Jake is cliched as all hell -as that's where things could be headed-, there's been a nice-enough build up at least. One can't never get enough of Rosa/Gina/Terry/Boyle/Holt. The only knock on this episode? Not enough Scully & Hitchcock. **** out of ****.

Darth McClain likes this.
  13. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Banshee- season 1 episode 4. This show is ******* great.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Red Rose - Sons of Anarchy - Final Season

15. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Resurrection. But I think the last episode was pretty boring.
    They started going in circles around the same thing.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Why play Cosmos in Phys. Ed class?

17. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Because we live in the 21st century and its better than playing basketball. :p

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Stargate SG-1 Season Four Divide and Conquer and Window of Opportunity

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Stargate SG-1 Season Four The Curse and Serpent's Venom.

20. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The latest episode of Ancient Aliens, which wondered if aliens were involved in resurrecting people in the past (They don't really come out and say it, but they imply aliens were involved with Jesus's resurrection), among other wackadoo theories.

I don't know why I'm still compelled to watch this bantha poodoo.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Because its bizzarely fascinating to watch a bunch of kooks and wierdos get paid to pull complete nonsense out of their collective asses for an hour?

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  22. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I guess you're right.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Forever S01E11- Skinny Dipper

Ah, this show strikes a nice balance between the ridiculous and more sensible drama. Had a good appearance by Burn Gorman, and Ioan Gruffudd was great as always. At least it didn't try to go too overboard as a "mid-season finale" and felt just like any other episode this season.

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Sons of Anarchy - S07E13 - Papa's Goods - Series Finale

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Same here.

TiniTinyTony likes this.