main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Word Race! Post your final count by January 2nd. Survey Now Up.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    1453 words until now. Of course, given my obsession with adjectives and adverbs, you could say I'm cheating, since 30% of that will vanish after I edit it :p

jcgoble3 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Up through today, inclusive of the first day's tally, I now have words = 1,048.

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've actually started! 301 words today. Not much, but more than I've written since July! I'm hoping this challenge will inspire me to finish a short story (really, finish anything 8-} ).

Nyota's Heart and Chyntuck like this.
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, I'm now up to a whole 737. Yes, I know. But given that I resolved on 100–200 words a day, and it's been three days, methinks that's not too shabby. :p

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am up to 1869. I need to keep track of new stuff and edited stuff added to WIP fics. I am writing too many fics at once.

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Nothing added today, though I probably will do some plotting for my fic-gift exchange story before I go to bed. I envy those who can actually write every day, even a hundred words, and not get burnt out. :p

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  7. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    First post for me, all done today Dec. 3rd: 589. Here's the funny thing: when I'm not editing while writing, I actually write much less. :p Everything is bare bones, just enough to indicate some body language or facial expressions along with dialogue, with an occasional important inner thought or two as placeholders. I don't start padding things out until I begin editing simultaneously. So I'm sure I'll be limping along in last place by the end of the month, LOL.

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I know what you mean. I'm the same way. :)

Chyntuck likes this.
  9. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm at 4251 words so far. I am determined to finish my fic by the end of December.

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    List has been updated.

I got to 3017 today. I would have gotten more done but I got distracted by Christmas, cats and errands. Tomorrow I have nothing planned so I'm hoping to get a nice chunk written.

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I absolutely add stuff while I edit! Whole sentences and paragraphs and sections. Particularly if it's a piece I've put down for a while.

12. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    I prefer drafting (and redrafting) in longhand, only typing up the first-stage fair copy, so I'll post word counts more sporadically, if that's all right?

I did try turning off my inner polisher, but I find it really hard to work that way. Just. Can't. Move. On. To the next section if I'm not satisfied with what I've got at least as a solid first crack :p So I'm just going to work at it the way I usually do, which probably means I won't get very far. (I'm only counting the words in the "solid first crack", obviously, not the drafts.) But I'm just taking this race as motivation to keep at it, rather than setting any specific goals, so, all good. :)

Chyntuck likes this.
  13. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Well, I haven't gotten to write again since that first day, since this has been the week from hell. But I hope to get back into the race tomorrow. I'm loving seeing how much fanfic is being written!! :cool:

Chyntuck and taramidala like this.
  14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Up to 1251. I must say this challenge has got me generating way more text than I ever would have otherwise—thank you, mods! :)

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thats fine. I'll try not to miss your counts when I update.

I'm the same way. My first draft is often very similar to my final draft. I basically only add/change grammatical stuff when I go back through the second time. If I don't add something I think of in, I'll forget it.

Despite my very late start today, I got a good 703 words in, bringing my total up to 3720... unfortunately, it was on a random angsty plot bunny one-poster (I hope) that decided to bite and not on the story I want to finish or the holiday fic I want to do. Oh well. When they bite, they bite. Hopefully I'll get back on track tomorrow.

16. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm up to 2866 -- but like Cael-Fenton my inner polisher wouldn't go away, so that was around 3500 before I went on an editing rampage ;) But I find it easier to continue now.

I'm happy to see all the activity on this thread. Tons and tons of fics to read over the next weeks/months, yay!

Findswoman likes this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Up to 1,718 today. :D

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  18. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I had a good bit of "inner polisher" trouble too. There was a lot of moving paragraphs around and angsting about what things should happen in what sequence, etc., etc. Since editing's my real-life job, that makes it all the harder to resist! But things got sorted out, and it looks like I may even finish the chapter that I've been stuck on so long. Whew!

Chyntuck and Nyota's Heart like this.
  19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This was all Bri's baby! :)
    I have an idea for those with writers block (or for anyone, really) that we may do sometime early next year, but it's not as awesome as this. ;)

I haven't written in the past two days, work wiped me out and I really didn't have time to do anything other than sleep. I did write some the second day and I'm hoping I'll write a bit tonight, I'll update my total later.

20. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I'm really behind at 305 words,
    But I'm mostly working on sequencing the plot, and that is in my head and post-its so I'm not idle. It has just been hard to find the time to sit down in a quiet plce and WRITE.
    Oh, well... the month has just began.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot, got 2,300 words up through today. [face_dancing]

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  22. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    My workload hasn't lightened because I've gotten really behind in it, so I'm still sitting at my original number. Looks like it'll be December 18 after all before I can get started. [face_frustrated]

Chyntuck likes this.
  23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Now at 1704. As Ny said above, woot! [face_dancing]

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Managed 791 today, bringing my current tally to 1,380. Still very much meh, but a slightly better meh. :p

Nyota's Heart and Chyntuck like this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    List has been updated.

The last few days have been weird for me, but I've still managed to get to 4525. Though I now have to start thinking about studying for my one lonely exam (ggrrg). But I managed to complete another chapter in the fic I wanna get done (2 more chapters to go!) but this darn angsty bunny keeps bugging me. I don't think it is going to explode into a long-fic, but I can see a long one-post or a two-post story springing up. I want to try to finish this long fic and a holiday challenge piece before Christmas goes into full swig (its a big deal for my family). But this angsty fic is just being a distraction.

So, we are a week in... how is everyone doing? I see work and DRL is killing some people. EEEKK! Are you hoping to recover and keep up with your final goal (if you have one)?

I'm thinking of just doing a day of writing tomorrow before I gotta worry about my exam, but things never go my way when I try to plan.

Chyntuck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.