main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Post-Mission Unburdening - Obi/Anakin friendship. Gift-Fic for jcgoble3!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Dec 5, 2014.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: “Post-Mission Unburdening”
    By Nyota’s Heart with characters: Obi-Wan & Anakin
    Genre: Introspection & growth of characters.

Gift-fic for: jcgoble3

Their request needed to include: “A life lesson; Anakin saving the day: when a battle/mission goes wrong.”

Did not want – “Anakin falling to the Dark Side.”

Please enjoy! [face_batting]

It was a cold and dark evening. Rain had fallen earlier that day and the skylanes were devoid of all but the most necessary traffic.

Anakin was glad to be done with the last mission. It had involved a reconnaissance to meet a high-ranking official who wanted to turn on the Separatists for their own reasons. They had wanted to divulge important details, but unfortunately, had been actually a plant by the Separatists to bring out the Republic flotilla for an unpredicted attack.

Anakin’s force nudge and quick battle sense had saved the situation from becoming an all-out rout. Ahsoka had given him a smile of gratitude when her team had come back unscathed.

He was in a quandary now, though. He wanted to visit Padme … her company always lifted his spirits, but he didn’t want to arouse suspicions, either.

He frowned. Niggling little whispers from the Chancellor about the Jedi way etc. kept replaying over and over in his mind.

Still, there was something about Palpatine that made his skin crawl. He was a bit too oily.
    One thing Palpatine said rang true with Anakin, however. The whole thing about attachments …

Anakin shrugged and decided to just turn in for the night.
    The following morning over breakfast, Obi-Wan noticed Anakin’s preoccupied and pensive mood.
    “Anakin, we need to talk.” His Master said without preamble.

Anakin scowled. Was he going to get a lecture?

He felt defensiveness rise almost instinctively.

But what Obi-Wan had was praise for the way he had handled the last mission: snatching success of sorts from disaster.

Anakin squirmed. He always wanted affirmation, but when he got it, he had a profound sense that he didn’t deserve it.

“You have to be confident in your abilities, not over-confident,” Obi-Wan said. “You have to know how to accept affirmation graciously and criticism.”

Anakin sighed. “I have to admit that last one is still a problem.”

Obi-Wan laughed. “It was for me too, at your age.”

“Really?”

Obi-Wan regaled Anakin with a couple of his more harrowing adventures. It amused Anakin and also impressed him that Obi-Wan was as dare he say it? Headlong and reckless as he himself was.

It drew them closer together – having shared this.

In the ambience of this newer intimacy, Obi-Wan broached the subject that had been oppressing him of late: Anakin’s friendship with the Chancellor. Somehow, he felt it very strongly that it was ill-advised. He felt this even more strongly during periods of quiet meditation.

He expected Anakin to bristle and become all barricaded, but to his surprise, Anakin nodded and admitted that he had been having similar forebodings.

“If you cut all ties abrupt, it’ll look strange.” Obi-Wan advised. “Taper off gradually, have a couple or a half-dozen legitimate reasons not to chat.”

Anakin agreed readily with the strategy.

Something in the Force eased more than a trifle.

These deepened bonds of filial affection and candor between Obi-Wan and Anakin would prove to be essential and life-changing in all that lay ahead.

+++++++

[face_dancing]

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Very nice. To think that that simple measure, of cutting ties with Palpy, would have potentially saved an entire galaxy. You have certainly put a smile on my face this morning. :D Thanks!

Chyntuck, AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks bunches! Part of that aha! moment was inspired by the great lightbulb moment between Jacen and Tycho Celchu in a fic I just read. :D @};-

AzureAngel2 and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Would you mind PMing me the link to that fic? It sounds like something I might be interested in. :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Nice work. It's simple things that make big differences; Anakin's admission that there was something he still needed work on—accepting both praise and criticism graciously—is an important first step that allows him to take the bigger step of backing off from the influence of Chancellor Sheevy P. :) Anakin couldn't ask for a better guide here than the kind, caring Obi-Wan you've written.

6. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Very nice! Good to see Anakin using his head and listening to his own instincts about Palpatine. :) Wonderful gift-fic.=D=

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  7. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Nice description of the brotherhood of the Jedi. And Obi sharing how he was like Anakin when he was younger helps Anakin see that they aren't so different at all.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :D Which makes Anakin more comfortable sharing whatever because there's a feeling of safety and camaraderie.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Sweet little moment between Obi and Anakin! And a gentle nudge for Anakin away from the path of darkness.

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yes ... I was thinking that it would be harder for Palps to undermine the closeness and trust between a more solid Obi/Anakin friendship. :) Anakin would be now more likely to defend and be wary of any slurs and insinuations. [face_thinking]

Kahara and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    :) This part rings so true to Anakin's problems, and is good advice in general. It's bittersweet to see them start unraveling Palpatine's scheme just with a simple conversation -- and one that I can imagine they might have come within a hair's breadth of having some time before ROTS. They both know something is off and it took only a bit of honesty to start things on a different track. Obi-Wan is a good strategist here, making sure that it will take longer before Palpatine realizes he's lost some control.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :cool: Exactly what I wanted to put forth as a strong plot point... that openness between them would lead to bigger steps in preventing and forestalling disastrous choices. [face_thinking]

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    True brothers

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Absolutely! It's just something Anakin has to make sure he remembers, which I was wanting to set the stage for.

15. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I really enjoyed this. Obi-Wan being funny & honest, not a total boar. A reflective Anakin. Well done!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks. LOL My Obi inspiration comes strictly from fanfiction. ;)

17. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    This was cute! I definitely enjoyed it.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks!!! Nipped the sithy turn in the bud. ;)

skygawker likes this.
  19. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    *Grievous voice* "General Kenobi! The (natural-born) negotiator." :)

I loved how you built the camaraderie and warmth between Obi-wan and Anakin before they stop beating around the bush. And now I have a request for a spin-off: the stories Obi-wan told Anakin about his wild teenage years :p

jcgoble3 and Nyota's Heart like this.