main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Dear Diary Challenge 2015 Updated Index 2014 Diary winner announced

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    This challenge was created in 2007 by the_wandering-shadow. It was/is such great fun, that it should be done again...and again and again and again. Now under a sock to ward of DRL, so if something happens to your current host (JediFalcon) the thread will go on anyway.:D

Teh Rulez:

1)
    You have to keep the diary of a character for a whole year. It does not matter if it's canon cast or OC, AU, non-Star Wars, whatever. Write the diary of a droid, surprise us all. There was a diary of Yoda's Lightsaber once. Nothing's impossible!:D

2)
    You have to update a least twice a month. You can update as often as you want. Just remember you need to have enough story left for the rest of the year.;)

3)
    The length of the updates does not matter. Write a paragraph, write pages, do what you want. Just do it.

4)
    I'm the keeper of the documents, meaning the Indexer. If you fail to update for a month, I'll send you a reminder and give you another week to update. This means seven days from the missed month update, not seven days from the date of the PM. For example, if your diary was last updated on March 3, and you haven't updated in 31 days - April 3 (NOTE: the number of days is subject to the number days in a given month, so if you last updated in February, it would be 28 days +7), you would have until April 10 to update, regardless if I failed to PM you until the fifth of April. If you fail to update after the extended 7 days, you're out. NO Exceptions! If you want to do NaNo, keep that in mind. Do some updates up in front, you'll be amazed how little time to write you might have.

5)
    Make my life easy, will you? PM me when you update your diaries. [face_batting]

6)
    No posting (and writing) until January 1st 2015 [face_shame_on_you]
    Think and talk as much as you want though.

7)
    There will be a mini-challenge each month. I will give you a theme or topic to integrate into the diary. It is NOT obligatory, just something to get your imagination running.

8)
    If you failed to update for a month three times, the next time you don't update for a month, the diary will automatically drop out of the challenge. It does not matter if that three times are in a row or scattered across the year.

9)
    Voting for the winner will be in the first two weeks of January. Everybody may vote, so invite your readers to do so, and everybody you know.

If there are any questions left, post them here in the thread or pm me.

Old Challenge Threads:
    Dear Diary Challenge 2007
    Dear Diary Challenge 2008
    Dear Diary Challenge 2009
    Dear Diary Challenge 2010
    Dear Diary Challenge 2011
    Dear Diary Challenge 2012
    Dear Diary Challenge 2013
    Dear Diary Challenge 2014
    Dear Diary Challenge 2015

2. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    2015 Index
    The index will be sorted by era and title. The color coding is as follows:

Green = within the updating schedule
    Orange = 14 days without an update.
    Red = one month without update, you have 7 days to update, or you're out of the challenge
    Blue = Out of competition. Diary is currently still being updated.

Before the Saga

The thoughts of the Light and Dark Sides of the Force by Lady_Misty Completed

The Saga

Iron Butterfly: The Diary of a Queen by Briannakin Completed

Mick’s Notes by earlybird-obi-wan Completed

The Secret Diary of Kaagi Adin by earlybird-obi-wan Completed

The Chronicles of I 5yq by Ewok_Slayer Completed

A Shining Light into Darkness: Silver Lining by Falcon Completed

Turn Your Face to the Sun by JadeLotus Updated Dec 30th 2015

Beyond the Saga

The Journal of Talon Tantiss Jedi Knight and Reluctant Vornskr Owner by Jedi_Lover Completed

The God of Second Chances The Journal of Breha Amidala Solo by divapilot Completed

Notes for when you are older by Kahara Completed

A Secret Ally: Scoundrel Trouble by Falcon Completed

Non-Star Wars

An Unofficial Captain’s Log by Nyota’s Heart Updated Completed

My Family of the Soul by Nyota's Heart Completed

Mini Challenges

Jan Wet and cold
    Feb Love
    March n/a
    April n/a
    May n/a
    June vacation gone wrong
    July n/a
    Aug n/a
    Sept n/a
    Oct Trick or treat

Out of Competition

Dead Diaries

Hunters Logs, Tales of a Champion by SabyneAmberle Updated Feb 23 2015

An Officer and a Gentleman: The Private Journal of Malavai Quinn by SabyneAmberle Updated Feb 23 2015

Watching Death: The Secret Journal of Praetor Ordo by Volund Starfire Updated Feb 13 2015

Artoos Frazzled Circuits The Hand of Thrawn by Hazel Updated April 06 2015

Redshirt: Ships Record of UCAS Murphy by Volund Starfire Updated Jan 24 2015

Ramikad Jorso'ran Jetii'kad by Revanfan1 Updated Jun 30 2015

The Hobbit LORD a Slingshot for a Scribe by Space_Wolf Updated Sept 20 2015

3. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    2014 Index

The index will be sorted by era and title. The color coding is as follows:

Green = within the updating schedule
    Orange = 14 days without an update.
    Red = one month without update, you have 7 days to update, or you're out of the challenge
    Blue = Out of competition. Diary is currently still being updated.

Before the Saga

Silver Swarm of Ships by Goodwood Completed

The Saga

Trouble in the Ward by Earlybird-Obi-Wan Completed

Pilot Log by Earlybird-Obi-Wan Completed

What Evar by RX_Sith Completed

The Journal of Jax Pavan by Ewok_Slayer Completed

A Shining Light in Darkness by Falcon Completed

Beyond the Saga

A secret Ally by Falcon Completed

On the Run: The journal of Mark Devlin by RevanFan1 Completed

The Journal of A Very Married Talon Tantiss by Jedi_Lover Completed

Journal of a Forgotten Child by Briannakin Completed

Writing on pages by Lady_Misty Completed

Non-StarWars

A Hobbit in Ered Luin by Space_Wolf Completed

“the histories shall say” by Miria_Jade Completed

Mini Challenges

January Sick day
    Feb Love poison
    Mar cabin fever
    April Spring is not found
    May New lease on life
    June There is no turning back
    July A heros day off
    Aug wilderness adventure
    Sept Winter is coming
    Oct Fright Night
    Nov Cold and wet
    Dec N/A

Out of competition

A heart Untrammeled By Nyota's Heart Updated April 20 2014

Dead diaries

Clone Wars Friendship is Magic by Volund Starfire Updated Feb 3 2014

DARKEST JOURNEY: THE JOURNAL OF VYDEL DIR’NUL/KARDEM by Volund Starfire Updated Feb 3 2014

The Odyssey of Jacen Solo by windu4 Updated Jan 07 2014

Journal of Raltharan by windu4 updated Jan 31 2014

Clara's Journal: Clara Oswin's Diary #2 by Juliet316 Updated Feb 12 2014

Jori Lekauf of the 967 by aalagartassle Updated April 24 2014

The Diary of an Impossible Girl: Clara Oswald by Juliet316 Updated Mar 27 2014

Dear Diary by moosemousse Updated Mar 04 2014

Moon's Glow & Noontide by Nyota's HeartUpdated April 20 2014

The Chosen One's Padawan, Ahsoka Tano's Diary By Padawan Fangirl Updated May 1 2014

Captain and Pilot (a Mara Jade diary) by Tarsier Updated May 23 2014

Diary of the Doctor by RandomComments updated Sept 01 2014

Diary of a Moisture Farmer by MsLanna Updated Oct 17 2014

4. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    Index is now updated and now you may begin discussing ideas for 2015.

Let me know if I missed anything

5. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I have an idea for what I think would be a rather amusing DDC. The Secret Lives of the Light and Dark Sides Force. Going to Couple/Marriage Counseling, dates, arguments about the Jedi, Sith and other Force Users, getting arrested on Coruscant after singing the National Anthem of the Galactic Republic while drunk in front of the Galactic Senate Building and wondering if they should just destroy all parties disrupting Balance so they can raise their child in peace.

Kahara, Nyota's Heart, Falcon and 2 others like this.
  6. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Sounds like a winner to me!

My 2015 entry will most likely be some sort of continuation of previous stories (not telling you lot which one, though!). We'll see how that works out... ;)

Falcon likes this.
  7. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    I would love to write a diary for one of my girls...but which one? :confused:

Falcon likes this.
  8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm really conflicted as to whether or not I am going to do a DDC this year. If I do it will be my 5th year. On one hand, a DDC is a great way to make sure you have a fic going on (as a student, it is sometimes months between when I'm posting fics). But I have so many ideas for long fics biting me right now and none of them can really be put into diary form (that would last a year) and I'd like to get a couple written and not be distracted by a diary.

However, I do have several ideas for diaries if I decide to do one. 1) I'd like to revisit the idea of a Beru Lars diary; TEH MOVE of 2012 kinda killed the one I had been working on that year and I would like to write some sort of AU where she survives ANH and joins the rebellion with Luke, so I though I'd maybe combine the two ideas. 2) Years ago someone did a Breha Organa diary. Sadly, I think it didn't make it past January and since reading DL:TRODV I've always wanted to take the concept up myself. 3) River Song's diary. I thought about doing this last year as well and I even had it plotted out somewhere. It kills me how badly I want to do a DDC for River Song, but the work is daunting and if I'm going to do it, I want to give it justice.

Kahara, Nyota's Heart and Falcon like this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Ky, please, please, please. And Goodwood - this is one relieved puppy about a continuation ;) of Silver Swarms? [face_batting]

Lady_Misty [face_rofl] [face_rofl] Too hilarious! [face_party]

I will be plotting out one or more diaries and see how many entries I can outline up to. :p Pros of that is it counts in the Word Race [face_laugh]

Kahara, Falcon and Lady_Misty like this.
  10. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I really did enjoy doing this and it got me back into writing, so I shall give it another go in 2015, just because I enjoyed doing it. I probably won't write as much this time round because I have quite a few things to work on but I should be able to make a couple of posts a month. I'm going to do Ori this time (before the Hobbit takes place.) I've always thought that his family situation (from the Peter Jackson version) would be an interesting subject to write about.

Kahara, Falcon and Nyota's Heart like this.
  11. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I plan to continue both of my diary's in 2015, I feel one of the two definitly has potentional to continue the other well it would be fun to do Courtship of Princess Leia through Anakin's eyes. That sounds like a fun hoot :D

Have Isolder show up one month before the wedding

Kahara and Lady_Misty like this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] Totally Falcon - CoPL through Anakin's eyes. [face_batting] Can't wait [face_laugh]

Falcon likes this.
  13. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Han taking off with Leia or maybe have Isolder lose his mind and take off with Leia. Which one would be more fun to write. [face_thinking]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  14. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    That sounds just as good as my idea Falcon.

The first one.

Nyota's Heart and Falcon like this.
  15. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    marriage cousiling between light and dark siders sounds like a fun read :D

I can just imagine the kind of sarcasm coming from that [face_mischief] :p

16. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Nyota's Heart likes this.
  17. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007

Well the plot bunny is sort of demanding that the marriage counselor be suggested by Q but the problem is that with the Force's Limited Time Travel Policy the Counselor that he suggested hasn't helped him and his wife/girlfriend get back together after all the trouble their son cause. "An acquaintance of ours from the Q Continuum suggested you to us; it seems that you will help him and his lady friend mend bridges some thousand years in the future."

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Misty!!! Yes, [face_rofl] You have to include someone from the Q continuum. [face_mischief] Woot!

Falcon and Lady_Misty like this.
  19. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Go for it Misty

Lady_Misty likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I wish we knew a bit more of the plot for Episode VII, or even character names–I'd love to write a pre-movie diary for one of the new characters. As it is, we don't even have character names beyond the OT characters. Oh, well. :p

In any case, I'm definitely doing this again next year; this year's was definitely a test run, and I think I'll probably do a lot better next year now that I'm kind of more familiar with the way it's done now. But who to write? [face_thinking]

Hmm. Maybe I'll continue the Ben Skywalker and co. storyline I've been writing for the past year or so via that medium. It's something to consider.

21. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Here's a thought I had this morning. Can we have a framing device of sorts for the diary? For example, if the character whose diary we're writing is killed/incapacitated/missing/etc., can we set it up that another character has found their diary and is reading it?

Kahara, Goodwood and Findswoman like this.
  22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    That seems like a really cool idea. All you'd have to do to make it work, as far as I can tell, would be to have the diary entry itself first, then have a section for the musings of the person reading it. TrakNar did something like this for her diary of Zuckuss a few years back; first was the entry written by Zuckuss, then there would be a set of "Doctor's notes" from Dr. Gawynn Karastee, the psychiatrist who was assigned to him, regarding her concerns for him and his situation, etc.. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kahara, Findswoman and TrakNar like this.
  23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I may or may not do a diary next year (if I do, blame Nyota's Heart -- she planted the idea in my head and it's been growing on me :p) but I have a few questions about the format. Question 1: how strictly "diary" does it have to be? Can it be a slightly different format e.g. a series of letters? Question 2: does it have to be a single person's diary? One of the things I have in mind would be like a cross-diary, with entries by two people who narrate the same series of events. Does that (remotely) make sense?

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  24. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I think it's really intended to be a single diary by one person, which of course doesn't prevent things like what I stated above. As for formatting, there's really no definitive way to write an entry; you can be as simplistic (a simple jotted note) or as complex (full log entry with technical details and attached AAR—after-action report) as you desire. It's all up to you. :)

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Chyntuck - I can give you a few examples of interesting blended or sequential posts. :) [face_dancing]

Chyntuck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.