main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Official Character Names Announced

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by EHT, Dec 11, 2014.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    cubman987 and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  2. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I love all of them. What a pleasant Thursday afternoon surprise.

EDIT: EHT, is it OK to post the actual images here in some capacity, or are there enough folks who think character names are spoilers that we should avoid that?

TheYodaPagoda and EHT like this.
  3. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    So, is this thread the only location we should discuss character names? Or any thread with the tag Official Info?
    My sentiments exactly! [face_party]

4. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Well, they're all strange, that's for sure. As is SW tradition (though one wonders why ANH remains the outlier in this regard; many of the names introduced in that film are pretty darn normal compared to the rest of the series). I think Finn is my favorite, sure it's the most normal of the bunch, but it sounds appropriately adventurous with its Mark Twain influence.

Interesting to note that they are introducing that villainous character with a full first and last name, Kylo Ren, and not some Sith Lord "Darth" title.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I am banking on Rey is a Skywalker. Skywalker is a pretty great brand name for Disney to capitalize on for their heroine. Solo is a very recognizable name too but I'd bet that the name Skywalker has more encompassing brand awareness with Star Wars than Solo.

Also, Rey, Ray of Light. Sky? Hurmph.

Neat, Rey has her own Wookiepedia page! She is a female who drove a speeder in the desert of a planet!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rey

6. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Rey Solo IMO.

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Not too crazy about Pullto Inflate's actual name

Oh and Ball Droid will always be Ball Droid to me

The Bops likes this.
  8. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    So no last names. A clever move on JJ's part. BB-8!

9. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I'm gonna be saying this forever when watching the trailer - "Get her, Rey!"
    Freakin' Ghostbusters.

10. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    "It's right here, Rey!"

The Bops likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like them. Not ordinary but not off-the-wall either.

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    It should be OK, just within this thread.
    Only in this thread, please. And then the other pieces of official info should be discussed in their own official info tagged threads.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I hope Rey's last name is Skywalker, because I really want [YODA] another Skywalker [/YODA]. But it seems more likely she's a Solo.

Anyway, I've certainly not gotten used to the names yet, but I think I like them!
    Kylo Ren - that's very similar to the old Droids character Kybo Ren, don't you think? His son? :p

14. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I'm also hoping Rey is a Skywalker, because I'm still banking on Anakin Solo somehow surfacing :p

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like Anakin Solo, but I hope the GFFA doesn't become a small town in the Southeastern US where there are only two or three last names and everyone is related.

16. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    I mean, here you've got Rey, which isn't any stranger than Leia, and Finn, which isn't any stranger than Luke. Han Solo is just as strange a name as Poe Dameron, it just doesn't seem as strange since we've been saying and hearing it since 1977. Kylo Ren is weird, but so is (again, out of the context of being a pop culture phenomenon for nearly 40 years) Darth Vader.

17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Poe Dameron is weird. Kylo Ren too, but not as.

Rey Solo makes me think solar ray... It would be neat!

Finn... Calrissian?
    Probably not. Doesn't quite have that Star Wars ring to it.

So, are Finn, Rey and Poe the new lead trio? Would make sense, since they made a point of showing those three characters. Still, "Poe"...
    I have a feeling that Lucas did not come up with these names. At least not all of them.

Anyway, BB-8 FTW! [face_love]

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I like all the names... they all feel like SW to me. I also like that none of them have the silly "a'post'rophe" naming conventions from the EU. :p And yeah, BB-8 is a perfect name for him/her.

19. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    Yep, and Boyega, Ridley, and Isaac are the first three names listed in the cast listing on the trailer page. Adam Driver's the third, which leads me to believe he's Kylo Ren.

Now that EHT has given his blessing to post the images in this thread, I wanted to point out some interesting correlations I discovered last night between the numbers on the cards and the card numbers from the original trading card set released in 1977:
    BB-8's card has the same number as a card that featured R2:
    [​IMG]

Poe's card's number matched with a card that featured an X-Wing:
    [​IMG]

And perhaps most interesting, Rey's card showing her on her speeder in the desert matches the number of a card that shows Luke on his speeder in the desert:
    [​IMG]

None of the other cards really matched up, but I have a hard time believing at least these three were coincidental.

20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I like all of the names a lot, especially BB-8 for that droid....seems pretty much perfect. And releasing the names in this way was pretty great.

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    DarthWilliams : Good work there. The article even says, "Asked if there was significance to the numbering, Abrams replied: “YES.”"

DarthWilliams likes this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Someone over in that other forum said that they hope Poe Dameron's X-Wing is nicknamed the Raven. Count me in.

23. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    "Poe Dameron" will look great on the packaging of an action figure.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Absolutely!