main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Word Race! Post your final count by January 2nd. Survey Now Up.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Again, I agree. Maybe we could do prizes every few months or twice a year? I think just stirring one's inner competitiveness is enough to keep folks motivated.

Edit: it may also keep the barrier to entry low if there's just a running competition with only occasional prizes. Anyone can start at any time.

ginchy, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Fun, great fun and now at 5222 words

Chyntuck and Nyota's Heart like this.
  3. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Woot! I broke 6000 :D. Total: 6111

So having this challenge has been a good thing as it prodded me along to reach my goal. I got three and a half scenes written in my AU, and when I got stuck there, forced myself to write species notes for the Fanon thread and an outline for a story that's been lurking in my brain for ten years. The downside is that since I've been churning out rough draft, I haven't done any editing on the the stuff I've written, and haven't posted anything new.

I'd be up for trying again sometime, but I'm not sure I want to do it every month. As satisfying as it is to have a large block of text written, I'd also like to have some polished work to share.

4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I completed my fic-gift! New total 24965.
    Not true, you posted loads on Doran's story (but you can also count me in as a reader for the sequel [:D])

5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Yes, but Doran's Place is a repost. I've tweaked it a little, but the bulk of it was written over ten years ago. (It's good to know I have a reader for the new story, though :D)

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    QUICK! Find 35 more words! :p

Jedi_Lover and Chyntuck like this.
  7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Now at 3135—so even if I still haven't managed to wrap up this dangone chapter (always the hardest part! [face_frustrated] ), I've at least broken 3000. :)

Chyntuck, ginchy and taramidala like this.
  8. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    2644. But I still have one day left!! ;) [face_rofl]

9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I've been doing a lot of writing in my head. I just don't have time to put it to paper. :(

ginchy and Chyntuck like this.
  10. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I got to do some writing yesterday so now I'm at 2957 words. Since I don't expect to write anything today, this will be my final count for December 2014.

Congratulations to all who managed to write anything at all this month! =D=

11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    List has been updated. Tomorrow will be kinda insane for me so I'm posting this now:

Please post final counts by the evening of January 2nd. I'll be sending out MASS conversations to the winners of 1, 2 and 7 days of colours. DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THESE CONVOS!!!!!!!!! FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS IN THE MESSAGE (I'm going to get you to send me the colour codes you want in a NEW conversation).

As for me. I'm pretty sure 12258 will be my final count.

12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I updated my fanon post about the Kiffar. After some complicated math, I came up with a new total of 25798 and unless a miracle happens, that will be my total for the month :p

Now back to kneading that New Year's pie...

13. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    It's already 2015 for me, so my total ended up staying at 25969.

Chyntuck, Findswoman and ginchy like this.
  14. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    My total is 3109. Better than I thought I'd get a few days ago. This was awesome and congrats to everyone!!! More fanfic makes the world a better place, imo. [:D]

15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Chyntuck, I just noticed that you mentioned your Kiffar fanon post above... does that mean we're allowed to count posts in that thread toward this race? (I guess technically my original fanon post was in November, but would detailed responses and discussion count? :D ) mavjade? Briannakin?

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    From my phone so this will be short. If the post is more like notes for a fic then yes. If its discussion or a reply then no.

Chyntuck likes this.
  17. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, it's just exactly midnight here in CST and I'm at 3356, but more importantly I think I finally brought Trouble Chapter to what might be considered a suitable endpoint—simultaneous whoo-hoo and whew! Happy New Year to all. [face_party]

Nyota's Heart and Chyntuck like this.
  18. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    No miracle happened yesterday, but there was a lot of dough-kneading... Final count 25798.

Nyota's Heart and Findswoman like this.
  19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Dough-kneading as in making oliebollen?

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Dough-kneading? As in making oliebollen? (Those doughballs are a tradition in the Netherlands on New Years eve)

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  21. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Nose to the grindstone since my last updated total yielded another 1286 words, which means I tapped out at 10,034. Not bad considering I started late. Happy New Year, everyone!

22. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    This thread was awesome, and as there was some talk of doing this challenge again, I just want to throw my hat in the ring and say that I hope we do. I think this is a great way to encourage writers!!

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Once again, please post final counts by the end of January 2nd. I will send out the PMs to to people getting colours then.

Here is the post-race survey!

Do you want more “word races?”
    How frequent would you participate in word races?
    What times of the years/months would work best for you?
    What would you change to improve word races?

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, I just wrote another 837 words, but unfortunately it's too late. December has been over for almost 24 hours, so they don't count (and wouldn't help me get colors anyway). :p

My final word count is whatever I posted earlier and is already listed on the participant list. It hasn't changed since then.

Congratulations to anyone who met or exceeded their goal! :D

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Yes; I would like more 'word races'.
    I think I would participate as time allows, especially in more 'off' times, such as around the holidays and the summer.
    I think quarterly word races could be a good idea, or less if quarterly seems too many.
    I'm not sure they could be improved on. I like how flexible it all was, with few rules. But I might not be thinking of something, so I look forward to this answer from others.

Chyntuck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.