main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  2. LongHairedAussieGuy

LongHairedAussieGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2014
  3. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    Its been driving me nuts that people are saying the dude from Breaking Bad is Han Solo. In my article I tried to make it clear that I wasn't sure who he was playing just that people at Pinewood believe he's involved.

On the podcast I mentioned that we were hearing the production office for this would be opening as early as January 5th when the Christmas hiatus is over. Since then I've heard that some people from the office on The Force Awakens never actually left and have been doing minor work in prep for this film.

4. andreaphilips3

andreaphilips3 Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2014
    I can't wait for this Han Solo film. I hope they get Harrison back for it.

5. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  6. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    So, assuming that Disney haven't thrown out the Expanded Universe in it's entirety...Aaron Paul as Mako Spince, perhaps? He'd be a good fit, certainly more than he would in the role of Han.

7. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I think they'd portray Han as a teenager so they won't have someone trying to imitate Harrison. Aaron Paul could be his older brother, or at least someone in his pirate group that sort of adopts him as a younger brother.

Wonder if Garris Shrine will be canonized.

8. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Yawn. This will likely be the first star wars movie I watch on Bluray vs at the theater.

9. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    Not too long ago people were pretty sure it's a theft (Dirty Dozen/Oceans Eleven in space) movie about stealing the death star plans. So, color me a bit skeptic until there's an actual reveal. But perhaps there's indeed a link between these two stories. Maybe it's a mix of bounty hunters, smugglers and "pirates" all in it because of their individual expertise and credits.

Funny enough, Jeremy Bulloch always stated he believes Fett & Solo were partners at some point who parted ways after a fight, ending up as rivals.

I'm not also that thrilled about seeing the character of Solo portrayed by someone else, i know, the first impression thing is at play here, but whoever attempts this would have to be atleast as good as Ewan McGregor and the way he captured Alec Guinness' earlier work and style.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Except Han doesn't know about the Death Star in ANH so couldn't possibly have been involved in the theft of its plans. Watch Star Wars before you post again, Devin. :p

11. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    after he completes his mission the pirates erase his memory.[face_whistling]:p

12. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    [​IMG]

13. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  14. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Luke'sSeveredHand and TheBBP like this.
  15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The Han Solo spin -off is a must for the first one & as for Aaron Paul there will a lot more roles in the spin-off than just Han Solo.....

16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
  17. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The great thing about these lame rumors/developments is that it's keeping my expectations very low going into the theater.

18. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Aaron Paul is too young to play a young Solo. He's the same age Han/Ford was in ANH. I don't know the guy's work, but I don't think he even looks the age. Maybe another role? Maybe even Fett?

Anthony Ingruber, as pushy as he's been about it, would work great for the look. Perhaps Age of Adeline is a testing ground. Garret Hudlund would be good too as might Dane DeHaan.

As for the story, it could be based on the following premises:

1. Han is a cocky Imperial cadet who gets in trouble from time to time.
    2. The Imperials invade Kashyyk. In true Avatar/Dancing With Wolves form, he saves the Wookiees. But that's just part of the story and a scene rather than the entire premise.
    3. Han leaves the Academy and falls into line with Jabba. They plan some sort of heist against the Imperials.
    4. Fett is somehow involved and Fett and Han have their first confrontation. Perhaps they begin as competitors working for Jabba for the biggest reward or something.
    5. In the process, we see Han win the Falcon.
    6. We end up where Han gets the bounty placed on his head by Jabba.
    7. Correlia, Kashyyyk, and Tatooine are the most important planets, but Han is shown sneaking into Coruscant as well.

Could make for a great movie actually.

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Don't you mean too old?

20. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Oops yeah lol. What the hell is wrong with me? Maybe I'm getting too old to type or think!

Lando Swarm likes this.
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Ha, it’s okay. But yes, I agree. Too old. Also, physically, he just doesn't look right. Obviously I'm not expecting them to get someone who looks like how Ford looked in his early twenties, but some physical similarities would be welcome. Ford is pretty tall, for example, and I don't think Aaron Paul is.

22. Haruss

Haruss Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2014
    Interest level - 1/10. This one of the most overglorified and overrated characters in cinematic history. He's got the "swag" and suddenly people treat him like some grand cinematic achievement that needs more and more deeper 'exploration'.

23. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    And that's part of my concern with any spin-off film centered around Han's backstory. The character is already fairly young when we meet him in ANH. Even if they go back 10 years (to make Han 19), that's still not a great deal of time in which a new actor would really make sense. That's like casting a new actor to play young Obi-Wan for AOTC after having Ewan McGregor for TPM. Harrison Ford is already associated with the character at a young age, so it's going to be awkward to see someone else come into the role. I understand that TPTB may want to cash in on such a popular character, and in order to do so (considering that they go the backstory route), they would have no choice but to re-cast the role for obvious reasons. But if they are really that hellbent on telling Han's backstory, I would prefer that they go the animated/CGI route over live action, but then again, that's just the humble opinion of a long-time Han fan.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  24. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    But he's got a backstory already that hasn't been told on screen, so I think it would be fine. He's the most popular character in SW history I believe.

Have you seen this Anthony Ingruber guy? Geez he looks JUST like Ford holy cow!

cwustudent likes this.
  25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Han? Oh, I don't buy that for one minute.

Insanely popular among SW fans? Of course. One of the most beloved? Yep.

But the most popular/best/greatest Star Wars character of them all? I have a real, real hard time believing that (no matter what one single -- poorly-written -- online article would like to try to make folks believe).

Don't get me wrong: I love Han Solo, and have for well over thirty years, now. But frankly, I don't really know that there is any one single character which stands out from the rest as the hand's-down, "most popular" among the public More like there are a half-dozen, or so, of the most popular SW characters (of which, Han is one).

I mean, I know a multitude of fans who (like myself) look to Luke as their greatest/most popular character pick. Obi-Wan won this past year's OS favorite character poll, and would be right there, too. Yoda won the year before Kenobi. Leia is a heavyweight of the franchise (and by far the most popular female character, I'd wager), and somehow, even someone like Boba Fett (who I love, but who I also have to admit enjoys a popularity which is far beyond his on-screen contributions thus far) makes the list of"most popular."

And yes, Solo easily commands a seat at this table. We all know that. I just don't know that he sits at the head of it..

If I had to guess one single character above all the rest? I'd probably say Vader. [face_dunno]

Dewback and Darth_Pevra like this.