main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A List of SW Names and Their Meanings

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by thejeditraitor, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    You could simply translate the two elements of Obi-Wan as well. Obi means Heart.

2. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    According to Wikipedia, Sith is the spelling in Scots Gaelic. In Irish Gaelic, although the pronunciation is essentially the same, the modern form is "Si" and an archaic, but common, alternative version is "Sidhe."

You're quite right: probably the malevolent faeries of Celtic lore were indeed in Lucas's mind when he named his evil knights. But Burroughs' monstrous Barsoomian wasp likely was an influence as well. Quite a lot of the names in SW pack in multiple allusions at once--just check out my analyses of "Carlist Rieekan" and "Mace Windy" above.

PS: In what language does obi mean "heart"? I'm only aware of its meaning in Japanese, where it's "belt"--as in "sword-belt," or kenobi. Not that it couldn't mean both at once in different languages, of course.

Iron_lord and thejeditraitor like this.
  3. Thom Skywalker

Thom Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    A curiosity about names...

Here in Brazil, some characters have names which somehow got conflict to other portuguese words in such a way (embarassing or funny) that demanded the dubbers to contact Lucasfilm and explained the problem (what people would "hear" while they were watching the movies)...

They have suggested alternative names, and Lucalsfilm accepted saying "Lets not ruin Mr. Lucas's work."

BTW, only the Star Wars fans know and refer to those characters by their real names....

I wonder if something like this had happened in other countries....
    I know that Vader means FATHER in dutch....
    So, imagine the irony: an unintentional spoiler!! [face_thinking]

teamhansolo likes this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It is an African language. :)

5. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    So now I'm curious - what are some of the Brazilian character names?

6. Thom Skywalker

Thom Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Dec 1, 2014

Panaka sounds like "panaca", which means "dork" / "idiot".
    He was renamed as Panas.

Dooku sounds like "do cú", and Sifo Dyas sounds like "se fodia".
    These terms are very obscene..... [face_devil]
    They were renamed as Dookan and Zaifo-Vias.

Han sounds like "rã", which means "frog".
    They didn't change his name, but the first dubbing (before the Special Edition) would some times call him "Solo" instead.

7. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    One other possible association of the name Obi-Wan occurs to me: a reference to Abraham van Helsing, the aged doctor and vampire hunter in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

This isn't as far-fetched as it seems: in the 1974 rough draft, Princess Leia's principal handmaiden is named Mina (as in Stoker's heroine, Mina Murray).

And Leia's own name, beginning with an L, brings to mind the other major female character in Dracula: Mina's best friend and Dracula's first victim, the beautiful golden-haired Lucy Westenra. (Leia, too, has golden hair in Ralph McQuarrie's paintings from 1975.)

8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Sidious - short for insidious : causing harm in a way that is gradual or not easily noticed and a : awaiting a chance to entrap : treacherous

b : harmful but enticing.

Thanks Merriam Webster.

Interesting definitions here, had no idea Vader was Dark Water. I enjoy name creation when it comes to characters.

9. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    In the 1973 Journal of the Whills outline, the surname of the narrator Chuiee Two Thorpe probably comes from Jim Thorpe, a famous American athlete of the early 20th century. Thorpe competed at both Olympic and professional levels, and achieved success in such diverse sports as baseball, basketball, and American football. His namesake CJ Thorpe, as a daring space pilot and Jedi Knight, was to be similarly multi-talented.

Interestingly, Jim Thorpe was actually multiracial, being of mixed white and Native American ancestry. This probably increased the appeal of his surname to GL--as it brings to mind Martin Pawley, the youthful protagonist of John Ford's The Searchers, who is one-eighth Native American himself.

The middle name of CJ Thorpe's father, Han Dardell Thorpe, likely derives from the Dardanelles, the outer strait at the mouth of the Sea of Marmara in Turkey--which controls naval access to Istanbul, and was historically the boundary between Europe and Asia. This latter fact again brings to mind the mixed heritage of Jim Thorpe in real life, and of Martin Pawley in Ford's film.

Darth Basin and thejeditraitor like this.
  10. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015

I always tought that Maul's name was a refference to the meaning of this name in spanish and portuguese combined.

Mau (portuguese) = Bad or evil
    Mal (spanish) = Evil or wrong

teamhansolo and ATMachine like this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

i believe it's the english "maul" but it works either way. in english bears maul people. as in "i was mauled by a bear".

teamhansolo and Messi like this.
  12. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015

Yeah, it works in both ways.

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  14. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Somehow I suspect "Rey" (if that is indeed the character's name) is actually a rather bad pun. Involving tigers.

15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Luke reads like a common Slavic word luk, which means ONION. if we were to look (no pun intended) for weirdness all the time, we would find a lot of it. :p

That said, when a character's name is a butchered spelling of a bunch of related names of Germanic, Latin and Slavic origin, it's pretty hard to kno what the authors wanted to communicate. *shakes fist*

16. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    Minch may be taken from mensch the german for human being And in yiddish it means a person of integrity and honor.

17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    ATMachine

If that was Yoda's original name, he could've been known as Buffy, the Sith Slayer. :p

Darth Basin and Kenobi098 like this.
  18. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Minch may be taken from mensch the german for human being And in yiddish it means a person of integrity and honor.[/quote]
    Well, if we're talkling about German, then Boba Fett is Boba Fat. Or is it Boba Phat? ;)

Interesting thread, though. Many different origins for the names. My favourite still being Nute Gunray :)

19. Celidore

Celidore Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2015
    I add the meanings I know:
    Luke = light (from Greek "leukos"), Skywalker = who walks in the sky
    Solo = alone
    Padmé = lotus (from Persian language), Amidala = amigdala
    Vader = father (from Dutch)
    Leia (name with Hebrew origins) = meadow
    Anakin (maybe from Sanskrit) = warrior
    Obi = heart (from Nigerian), Wan = gentle (from Chinese), Kenobi ("ken"+"obi") -> Ken = strong (from Japanese)
    Chewbacca (from Russian "sobaka") = dog
    Yoda = maybe from "yoga"

I don't know if they're all true, I've only found them making resources on the web.
    Anyway, I find these meanings very interesting :)

teamhansolo and thejeditraitor like this.
  20. Celidore

May 2, 2015
    Edit: *making researches*
    Sorry for double post.

21. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Arabic names:

"Ackbar." Arabic for "great," as in "Allah akbar," God is great.

"Asyr Sei'lar," from the expanded universe. "Asyr" is Arabic for "juice," "seiarra" means "car."

"Garm Bel Iblis." "Iblis" being an Arabic word for the devil.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Garm is the hound of Hel, goddess of the underworld in Norse mythology. So "Garm Bel Iblis" apparently means something like "hound of the Devil."

PS: Celidore, I like your username. Very euphonious, as a philologist might say. ;)

23. Celidore

May 2, 2015

Thank you! :)

24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    As somebody who studied Italian language and literature at the uni, I love it, too. :D

Celidore likes this.
  25. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    Some I don't think have been said:

R2-D2: Lucas saw "reel 2, dialog 2" while making THX-1138
    C-3P0: Ive heard that he was originally named just C3, and based on a map reference from Lucas's hometown, of a post office (the added PO).

teamhansolo and Darth Basin like this.