main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars- an anti-power fantasy saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Mr. B, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Actually, I think the movies show us that this kind of victory doesn't end the war. The war doesn't end until Luke refuses to fight.

One step at a time. Peaceful solutions require patience. If you want things to change, be the change. That's how you inspire others to change, too.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nothing in that response gives a practical or concrete solution about how to reach trillions of people using Empire-controlled communication.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Regardless, Leia was the change, and inspired others to change, too.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The Rebels had no ability to negotiate for some peace treaty at that point. It was either flee and let the planet be destroyed only for the Death Star to go around destroying more planets in order to wipe out the Rebels or do what they did and save who knows how many tens of billions of lives. Kill one to save a thousand is better than killing none to let ten thousand die

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That's a very narrow way to approach things.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So...what is the practical, concrete solution here that would enable the Rebels to dismantle the Death Star before it blew up any more planets?

What I've seen so far is a lot of slogans that look like motivational posters from the Facebook page of a group that might be called World Peace for Everyone or something.

But nothing workable or, as I said, practical.

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

So is the refusal to use violence.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "What about this Commander Galloway?"

"She's been working a desk at Internal Affairs for a little over a year."

"And before that?"

"She disposed of three cases in two years."

"Three cases in two years? Who's she handling? The Rosenbergs?"

"She's just not a litigator."

"She's a hell of an investigator though."

"In Internal Affairs, sure. She can crawl up a lawyer's ass with the best of them, but..."

"I know, I know. All passion, no street smarts. Bring her back in."

...That's pretty much how I would see any of the Rebels if they tried to (LOL) negotiate with the Empire. All passion, no street smarts, more planets go BOOM. Just for the LOLz.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    Star wars is many things, but I don't believe its "anti-power fantasy" at all. I think it's just the opposite in most cases. The willfully defenseless are preyed upon on a regular basis by evil, and in the end, the good only win through the use of force*.

Sure, in Luke's tiny little world, the war might be over when he refuses to fight. Meanwhile, outside in space, Rebels and Imperials are pounding the stuffing out of each other with turbolasers, and a quarter million crew members aboard the Exeuctor were busy getting incinerated due to an unfortunate collision with a A-Wing. They didn't get the memo about the end of the war.

Let's remember who the Empire is. They're the guys who murdered a planet as a demonstration and to instill fear in the rest of the galaxy. And you want to negotiate with them?

This is spot on. Among other things, Star Wars is a cautionary tale about the dangers surrounding the concentration of power. By the end of ROTS, Palpatine's been given control of everything he needs to take control of everything else.

I blame Jar Jar.

* Not the Force, necessarily.

11. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    This is a tough one. Ultimately the Rebels win the final space battle by blowing things up and the Emperor is defeated by being manhandled down an open shaft, so force wins out. On the other hand, Luke's triumph is ultimately gained as a result of refusing to fight fire with fire (or lightning with a laser sword as the case may be), so...

12. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    In order for Luke to get to the point where he could refuse to fight, he first had to fight.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Not externally he didn't.

14. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004

That is true. There's no doubt that there's plenty of fighting in these films. That doesn't necessarily preclude the possibility that not fighting could ultimately win out. I've always liked the idea that SW is about human strength overcoming superhuman power.

15. Death Wizard

Death Wizard Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    I believe it.

16. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Time was also a factor, the Rebels didn't have time to make peace with the Empire.The Sith's idea of peace is killing everyone who doesn't obey them. The Death Star just killed a whole world and it is coming for the Rebels next, it was kill or be killed for them. Sometimes there are no good options. Both sides must be willing to listen to be able to settle a conflict peacefully, the Empire was clearly not willing to listen, they only wanted the rebels dead by any means.

Andy Wylde, Sarge, Iron_lord and 2 others like this.
  17. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    How would you seek peace in such little time, the Death Star is almost on top of you, the Empire wants nothing else to see you dead. The Death Star is a threat to everyone and the Empire is willing to use it to kill anyone who opposes them. What would you do?

18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I have already said, sir. From the FIRST I would seek PEACE with Tarkin, that's what. I ain't moving from this. ;)

Seagoat likes this.
  19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Admirable resolve Cushy!

However, let's say Leia did succeed in convincing Tarkin to surrender
    Odds are, eventually Palpatine would hear. Tarkin would be charged with treason and most likely executed, and a new officer would take his place and continue onward. Peace is simply a fallacy in a scenario such as this :/

rumsmuggler and Sarge like this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That doesn't seem the case in the prequels, where the Jedi are quick to use the saber. You're making up things, I am thinking.

And Obi-Wan & Yoda were on the same page in the OT. It's not as if Yoda didn't put Luke to vigorous physical training. I wonder what Luke would need that for if he isn't supposed to fight.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    You missed this sentence: "That said, there are few Jedi in Star Wars who actually understand what true Jedi Knighthood is about".
    Luke makes the right decision where the other Jedi made the wrong ones.

Death Wizard likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Even Luke will fight if there's no way around it (example Jabba's palace). He counters violence with violence.

Like I said, the Jedi will try to seek a non-violent solution, but when that fails, power and might come into play.

23. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Luke learned WHEN to fight. If he'd chosen to fight at the end of ROTJ he'd likely have died and / or the Empire wouldn't have been defeated.

24. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Luke stopped fighting.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  25. Death Wizard

Death Wizard Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    A Jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.