main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Writer's Block Discussion and Challenge Thread- Block Breaker 7 - 3/15/15

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Jan 11, 2015.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I (temporarily) defeated DWB tonight. :D So I've now written for... *drumroll* ONE consecutive week! :p (I did some editing on my fic-gift early last week, but it was written the week before, and I didn't add any significant new content in the editing process, so I'm not counting it as a week of writing.)

Unfortunately, what I wrote is a post for my RPG that cannot be posted until Monday, and as it represents a major turn of events in the RPG, I cannot post even a small excerpt here in the fanfic section because of spoilers (and because a few players in the RPG do have story threads here in fanfic as well). I'm hoping to write another major post tomorrow or Saturday, but again I won't be able to post anything directly here.

None of the prompts were used, as I had a specific plot already ready to go (same with the next major post).

Starting next week, I hope to start a proper DWB thread here in fanfic and write some pure fanfic. A third RPG post will need to be written next week, but I also want to try to write a random scene or something that I can post here and do some plotting on a longer fic idea with the goal of starting writing on that by the end of the month. In the long run, while I don't want to give up my RPG, I want to try to transition more to pure fanfic.

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I hope my advice isn't coming across as knowing everything, I certainly don't, just trying to help in any way I can. :) (And hopefully I'm not too cliché!)

:( That exact same thing happens to me sometimes, usually while I'm at work. Then I get home, gone.

That book sounds great, I'll have to check it out! The only thing you can do to get out of the habit, is practice and don't be too hard on yourself. If you fall into them again, when you realize it, just take a step back and start again.

Thank you for sharing and joining us!

Of course you can take part! Writing is writing!
    Don't let others bring you down. You are your own person, do what makes you happy!

Congrats on conquering DWB jcgoble3 ! Even if it was just one night, that one night could turn into 2 and then 3, and so on. Looking forward to your thread and fanfic!

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    DWB came by and kicked me right in the face, mostly in part due to the incident I mentioned in the Pet Peeves thread.

The ideas are flowing for one character's RPs, but not the other's. And while I have no plans on changing that other character's history or timeline, I'm now looking over it and having doubts. The character's timeline was already hashed out with the person I RP with, and we're happy with how it turned out. It's when I bounced the same ideas off of another person who isn't in the RP that things went to crap.

Despite bouncing the same ideas with other non-RPers who followed the story and have no problem with it.

BLARGLE

*fights off DWB with a wood stove poker*

Kahara and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks, Mav and Trak. [:D] Cushy was able to write 3/4 a page on my Tribute to Sir about three nights ago. I have been reading a lot of reviews and such lately and many people seem to equate detail and description as boring, nothing happens, and pointless because don't advance plot. I am Ms Detail and Ms Relationship and details mean everything for me. I certainly am not changing my style but it is a bit saddening it seems many prefer only action. Aww well, different tastes.

My present struggle because it is partially linked to the noxious history I am recovering from is whether or not to address smoking as Sir's main vice and drinking as Christopher's via my tribute characters: Elisha and Envoy.

I am desperately hoping to avoid having a major scale external war in my peice. First I detest war, Peter was very peaceable so I want harmony to be a core theme in my Tribute for him. Cushy wants to show war is not NEEDED to craft an engaging tale.

Kahara likes this.
  5. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks for the discussion this week everyone!

Here is this week's Block Breaker. Remember, you don't have to use this weeks prompts, you can use some from week 1 as well, nor do you have to use all of them.

Block Breaker 2

Word Prompts:
    Honesty
    Neglect
    Perfection

Quote:
    Begin each day as if it were on purpose. ~Author Unknown

Idea:
    Writing a letter to an absent loved one, be it someone who has died, moved on with their life, or just away for a period of time.

Phrase:
    Back to square one
    - To start over/to go back to the begining​

Character:
    Leia

jcgoble3, Mira_Jade and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    It's either that I can see something in everything; or you're tailoring these especially for me. I have an idea...I won't step out of my comfort zone much, but I may step further than I did in my first story. :)

mavjade and Findswoman like this.
  7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The letter prompt is right up one of my characters' alley.

mavjade and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    So there are two canon characters in these challenges that I used to write about a lot? Nice. :D

mavjade , Nyota's Heart and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    mavjade and Nyota's Heart like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Kris Kross - Jump.mp3 ;)

TrakNar likes this.
  11. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    News! Cushy had a very VIVID idea come to her for her Saga AU last night and tonight I wrote at least the basic groundwork of my ending! :eek:

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Fantab Cushing's Admirer @};-

~!

A suggestion for those writers like ThreadSketch or others who are strapped for time with RL stuff... these block-breakers (especially the expressions like "back to square one) - would be great to write a few sentences or a paragraph if they seem to fit the story so that after a few weeks away, you don't come back to your story and think: yikes, the momentum is gone! LOL

I'm gonna keep track of the expression type prompts and use them for my diaries or in my "Assortment of Sketches" thread for themes that fit the events. :cool:

Kahara, mavjade and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks, Nyota. [:D] Though I'm running what I have by a Mod. I don't want my intention misconstrued if I can help it. :)

I think Cushy may well use honesty and letter in fic. Those two things are very Sir. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You know, since I've been struggling with an art block... I'm going to go hunt down one of my blank books and see if I can write. I'll post the results later.

QuickEdit: I WROTE SOMETHING! Looks like I'd better start a NSWFF thread...

QuickEdit: Letter response is up!

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    When you fire, you fire! I like!

TrakNar likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Cushy just got Mod approval about ending so Cushy on a roll for Saga AU! Nearly seven pages now. :D

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Glad to see this seems to be helping some people! :)

I've updated the index of threads. If I've left anyone off, please let me know!

18. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    You know what the hilarious thing is?
    There's actually a letter in the next part of my fic. Srsly. [face_laugh]

Kahara, Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and 3 others like this.
  19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I wrote a vignette, guys!

I wrote a vignette!

Oh my god! Three whole hand-written pages as a sequel to that little letter thing!

Kahara, Ewok Poet, Thumper09 and 3 others like this.
  20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Cushy have several ideas bouncing around. :D I am debating though on how to present them: each thread as a chapter or all three in a single chapter well (intros of characters). Fellow readers and writers, what's your feeling on chapter lengths?

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Just make sure you keep your paragraphs at reasonable length and it will be OK.

Chyntuck likes this.
  23. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Cushing's Admirer, I've found that keeping things in shorter chunks (within reason) seems to help draw in more readers -- probably because keeping up with the story becomes less of a daily time commitment. The boards have that handy function that allows one to go to the latest post read, which is easier than re-finding your place in a 20-page chapter. This isn't always reasonable for everything (believe me, I know.) But if the work lends itself to that kind of arrangement, I'd recommend going with the 3 separate parts.

I haven't posted in here yet, since I don't usually think of what I have as writer's block. But I do have trouble producing as much writing as I'd like to. The most annoying thing for me is one that I've seen mentioned here: free time, long-awaited and planned for, finally occurs and what happens? I sit there with the word document open and get maybe three sentences for a whole day that I could have theoretically spent writing up a storm. I guess the reason I don't think of it as a "block" is that I seem to be able to produce something on regular days when I don't have as much time. Almost everything gets done when I'm staying up too late and will have to get up early the next day. That can't be healthy... :rolleyes:

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    From what I've experienced over the years on here is short-ish chapters tend to get more readers, 1,500 to 2,500 words seems to be kinda the sweet spot.
    I think like Kahara said, it has to do with commitment and when someone sees really long chapters, they may just decide not to even give it a try, where as if it's more managable, they may give it a shot.

I have that happen to me a lot, I find the more I have to do, the more I get done. This doesn't apply to just writing, it also applies to much of my life, including work. I'm with you, I don't know that it's much of a block as maybe a motivation thing, maybe? But we welcome your thoughts and ideas! :D

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  25. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Interesting to know. I don't think Cushy will be able to be that short but thanks for the comments.