main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT You Give IATI Dating Advice

Discussion in 'Community' started by I Are The Internets, Jan 31, 2015.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hello friends,

Thanks to the wonders of the internet and OkCupid, I'm going on my first date since this summer with another human being on Monday. We're going to Caribou Coffee. What should I do while there?

Don't be a Beezel.

Actually, if you can imitate his posting style I'll WUL you. Is that still a thing?

Darth Punk likes this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Do you own a van and a knife?

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You have made an excellent choice. Breakfast is a good meal for meeting new people, since it ensures they are productive, motivated individuals who get up early and utilize the fullness of the day. I further commend this choice in that, if pleasant, the interaction can be extended without creating inappropriate or suggestive overtones. If you continue building in this fashion, I trust you will have great success.

I would recommend foregoing any tea or coffee, since you don't want your judgment skewed by the influence of any substances with addictive potential. Instead, try a healthy glass of juice. Position yourself so that you both can enjoy the warmth of the risen sun, as this a pleasant thing and will help you two to enjoy one another. Discuss your families so that these others can get involved as early as possible before the process moves forward.

4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Wocky, that's great advice and all, except we're meeting at like 6PM.

Ezio Skywalker, jp-30 and harpua like this.
  5. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Why would you get coffee at the time when you ought to be eating dinner?

jp-30 likes this.
  6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Also the rest was terrible advice.

Penguinator, jp-30 and harpua like this.
  7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    We may have dinner. Their biscuits are yummy. It's more of an informal get-to-know-you sort of thing.

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

This is actually a pretty valid question.

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Why would he go to a coffee shop and not have coffee?

jp-30 and harpua like this.
  10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Because coffee is disgusting. Get a hot chocolate.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Step 1) Presumably if you've gotten through his or her OkCupid profile, you should have a generic sense of interests, etc. Be sure and ask about those.
    Step 2) Don't discuss anything volatile on the first date unless it comes up naturally. No ex talk.
    Step 3) Listen, listen, listen.

Really, that's it, except for Step 4) Ignore any and all rules listed above, and if something comes up naturally go with your gut/instinct during the date if you feel it's the right thing to do because no two people are ever the same.

Plus, Step 5) If his or her favorite book is The Secret end the date right there.

EDIT: Step 6) Paper cups.

12. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    My advice: you should just talk to each other. And then see if you hit it off. Simple really.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Have an exit strategy, should you not hit it off. Have your "mom" (friend) call around 6:45 - "Sorry, it's my mom. I gotta take this" is perfectly valid. If the date is going badly, react to bad news and gtfo. If it's going well, tell your "mom" that you're on a date with a really nice woman, and will call her later.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That's what I'm thinking. Just talk and get to know ourselves better.

15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I was trying to frame my advice positively. But since you are going to be blunt about it, yes. It would have been much preferable to meet her at farmer's market or a local breakfast restaurant.

16. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Tell him/her that you went to a Star Wars message board for dating advice.

17. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

Juice is full of excessive sugars and can be just as if not more unhealthy for you as a cup of tea.

IATI - how hot is this chick, post pics plz

Rosslcopter, Arawn_Fenn and jp-30 like this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Who goes to breakfast for a first date?

19. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    You do if it was a good night.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That's what I'm saying.... breakfast date is a morning after thing--not a first date.

21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Ess Ell Gee raises a good point. I was mostly thinking about your desire to enjoy yourself, but sharing a pitcher of water may well be the wiser choice. Taking this in common will help you to bond to one another. It also strengthen the one interesting aspect of your date site: by foregoing luxuriant or addictive drinks, the two of you will be demonstrating your discipline and fortitude. If one of you gets weak, the other can encourage them, and thus test the emotional bonds that are central to meaningful relations.

22. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    TBH I would prefer a breakfast date. All other meals are pointless.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Meeting up to have a pitcher of water will make him look pretty cheap, man. :p

Coffee isn't luxuriant or addictive. Meeting at a bar for margaritas would be a bad choice, and your advice would be good for that scenario, but coffee is pretty harmless.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Rob Reiner advice from the Sleepless in Seattle movie is pretty good; meet for a drink first, then if it works out, have dinner next time.

That's what he's doing.

But yes, order coffee, something you know you like (no new drinks on a first date), she orders what she wants, just hang out and have fun and try not to overthink it. I know that last part isn't easy.

25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well, you don't see any romantic potential in sharing water?

As for the comments about beverages, the caffeine in coffee is addictive. As you saw, I originally wanted to go with fruit or vegetable juice, but Ess Ell Gee rightly explained how this was luxuriant.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.