main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Luke and Mara Index & Discussion (2.0)! *New Topic: Change is Hard!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 1, 2014.

1. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Here's my challenge response. Not a minute too soon. ;)

taramidala likes this.
  2. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    New L/M thread!!!!!!!!!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'll have a new challenge and discussion topic up in February. If you have any suggestions for either, feel free to comment or PM them to me.

Also, if you want fics up in the index, PM the sock them, but also PM me and let me know (I like, never sign into the sock account.

4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    SISTERPILOT!!!! (Tackles and hugs)

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh Jade_Pilot am I glad to see you back! I don't usually participate in this thread but I've been waiting for you to update, like, since 2014 :p

Jade_Pilot and Nyota's Heart like this.
  6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Also, just a note. The promotion policy has been changed (info here), so I've edited the first post to reflect it. Basically, you are now free to mention specific fics and talk about them in detail. I just ask that you make sure you don't cross the line into shameless promotion.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Follows suit like a fool! Jade_Pilot! [face_dancing] [:D] [:D]

8. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Stupid Question Alert: I presume the index is only for completed fics?

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Stupid Answer Alert: I don't really know :p This has never come up. Ummm, I say if you got a good chunk of it done, I say go ahead and send it to the sock.

10. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    LOL. Well, that makes me feel...a little less derpy, thanks. [face_laugh]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It’s time for: The Luke/Mara February 2015 challenge.

For this challenge, I’ve squashed my inner hatred for Valentine’s Day and gathered 10 VERY silly quotes/sayings about love (I can add more). It’s a very simple, pick a number and I’ll PM you a saying. You then have to make that saying an inspiration for a LM fic (bonus points if someone says it in the fic and even more points if you put me in a diabetic coma). Again, these are all silly, but you can write any sort of genre you want.

2 - divapilot
    4 - Revanfan1
    5 - Nyota's Heart
    6 - Jedi_Lover
    7 - JadeLotus
    8 - Annia Piet
    9 - Briannakin

As for the discussion: What is your favorite L/M romance(ish) scene in A) Profic, B) a fanfic that you have written and C) a fanfic someone else has written? (please don’t use this opportunity for shameless pimping).

Oh, and someone pick a number for me!

12. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'll play - No. 7 please.

As for my favourite moments - in profic the romantic scenes are few and far between, but I always liked the "little hopes, little joys" (i.e. the scene immediately before Ben is conceived ;)) "agent of life," and "refresh" scenes in Balance Point - actually all of the L/M scenes in that book I enjoy.

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    PM sent.

I'm going to roll for mine below.

As for the discussion question:
    1) Union - Just all of it. It is so corny, mushy and wonderful. It reads like fanfic but it's written by MICHAEL STACKPOLE!
    2) I HAVE NO IDEA. I guess the first that comes to mind is the post-operation scene of Dawning. It was just too fun to write.
    3) Ginchy once wrote a short fic for some challenge where Mara had ALS (the title escapes me). It was so good :)

Edit: I guess I get #9

14. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Time is going to preclude me from participating, but to answer the question:

A. I'll second @JadeLotus's pick of Balance Point. *swoon* Kathy gave us everything we could have ever wanted. [face_love]
    B. I have one from something I haven't finished yet. In a moment of doubt, Mara says to Luke: "When I promised to love you ‘forever and always’ I meant it, then and now: the good, bad, present, future, and past. Your past doesn’t scare me, and it never has. Trying to forget is a disservice. I’ve never wanted you to forget; I’ve never needed that nor asked for it. If your heart hadn't been big enough, Luke, we wouldn't be sitting here." I'm rather proud of that one. :)

C. Something from someone else's fic? Wow, that's hard. I think I'm going to refrain from picking, because I can't possibly. [face_laugh]

15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    What is your favorite L/M romance(ish) scene in A) Profic, B) a fanfic that you have written and C) a fanfic someone else has written? (please don’t use this opportunity for shameless pimping).

A) My favorite profic scene wasn't romantic but I still loved it. It was in the novel Rebel Stand. During the Vong war Luke had to swim through a pond full of Red Devourers and he used the Force to keep them from eating him, but they ate his clothing. Mara's reaction to him almost exposing himself to other female Jedi was funny. I just thought it was a cute scene.
    [​IMG]
    B) For some reason I like the L/M scenes in my least read L/M story "Life Sucks and Then You Live On". It is probably the title that turns people away. Also it is probably my most angsty story. I think that is why I like the scenes. Mara is the one caring for Luke...reluctantly. :p

C) Although the story was extremely angst-ridden, I think Kayladie's Whisper Your Weakness always stands out for me because it was the first time I read fanfiction and it was L/M smut! HA! I was hooked on fanfiction from that day on. [face_laugh] I was not happy about the evil turn the story took or how long it took for the story to get finished, but I still loved the fic. Of course, I love all L/M ginchy -shine.

I threw the die and got 6

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'll take Number 9, please!

17. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Number 2 please.

1. Favorite profic L/M moment? So many, so many. Probably Vision of the Future, when they realize the extent of their bonding.
    2. Favorite moment in my own fanfic - probably "Small and Beautiful Ways," where Luke sends Mara an image of the flowers that were next to them the previous night as she flies away from Yavin.
    3. There are so many wonderful L/M fanfic moments and so many wonderful writers, so it's difficult to select just one. The one that comes to mind right now is "A Different Kind of Honeymoon" which IIRC was by RedGold. (It might have been Knight_Aragorn.). All of it.

18. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm deep in revision mode this month, so I won't be able to write a fic, but I'll do the discussion:

1. Favorite profic L/M moment: Luke giving Mara his old lightsaber. It's full of promise and hope and encapsulates their relationship--he believes in her so much that she can't help but believe in herself, too.
    2. Favorite moment in my own fic: Uh, crap. Probably their (second) reunion scene in The Way of the Force, because it was so awkward and full of relief but also they're still so in lub.
    3. Favorite moment in someone else's fic: When Luke and Mara finally kiss in Echoes of Always by ginchy

Nyota's Heart and Gemma like this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    9 has been taken - Pick again.

The rest of you, PMs should be incoming,

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Whoops! Number 4, then.

21. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    What is your favorite L/M romance(ish) scene in:
    • Profic?
      • As embarrassing as this is to admit, I can't even remember at this point. [face_blush] Especially because I tend to focus less on mush and more on GUH MY FEELS moments that tend to come in times of immediate conflict - like that little scene approaching the end of The Unifying Force where Luke wants to go separate ways with Mara toward the Citadel and she's suddenly worried, but he reassures her that he won't make either of them a widow/widower...ugh.
    • A fanfic that you have written?
      • I HAVEN'T GOTTEN THERE YET. [face_laugh]
    • A fanfic someone else has written?
      • ADFJKLDSFJLAJFKLS...just put me in a chocolate shop and ask me to pick a favorite, why don'tcha? :p But if I really have to pick, it's a tie between everything in "Odd Kind of Honeymoon" by deaka (because I'm #sorrynotsorry, but I just can't single out one thing, LOL) and this scene in Niralle's The Dividing Factor:
    They began to walk. With a hand on her hips, the Jedi's wife observed as they all shuffled past her. She started to follow—

The movement was so swift, Matic hardly noticed until it was over. Almost instinctively, Skywalker grabbed his wife by the arm. The energy of his movement seemed to catch Mara off guard; instead of merely stepping back around, she lost her footing and ended up in his arms. The Jedi Master didn't seem to care. Without a word, he placed his lips on hers, lifting a hand to press against her hair.

Matic gazed on quietly. Skywalker held his wife; she seemed more confused than flattered or shocked. After another moment, he released her, and peered into her eyes.

"I love you," he said, the words seeming to spill from his mouth. "You realize that, right?"

To Matic's surprise, she snorted a laugh, both eyebrows narrowed at him. "Are you going nuts? I'll see you in ten minutes."

"Of course. I was just wondering."

Mara's dazzling features sobered. She frowned at him. "You're not planning on doing something unorthodox…are you, Skywalker?"

He didn't smile at her question. Normally, Matic had noticed that the couple had an annoying tendency to tease each other. Skywalker wasn't teasing this time. Quietly holding her, he merely replied, "Get to the roof, Mara. I'll see you soon."

That gave me chills and seriously had me question what was going to happen later on. That encapsulates the L/M relationship for me so well - the romance is almost minimal and yet so meaningful.

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    #5 please. :D

As for the survey:

1. Hmmm. I have to echo the Balance Point lovers. [face_dancing] Kathy should've written the entire NJO with Allston :cool: Stackpole was great too though. [face_thinking]

2. In my own? Hmm. Can't think of a moment. Everything I write is going for the SQUEE factor ;)

3. In someone else's fic? Tie between "Odd Kind of Honeymoon" and the great blow-up followed by the even nummier make-up scene in Chasing Dreams by JadeLotus. :) [face_sigh] Toppers!

JadeLotus likes this.
  23. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013

Thanks for this comment -- I was laughing so hard - I started crying. And yes ginchy should definitely write the love scene - this goes without actually saying of course.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My February challenge is up: Hell Hath No Fury

It isn't my best work, but it was fun. I might do another fic with the same quote, or pick another once I'm sure everyone who wants one gets one.

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004