main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD State of the FanFic Address - February 2015

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SabyneAmberle - that thread you're talking about. :cool: I'd participate in it for sure, for sure! Got lots of Revan/Bastila questions for starters. :D And KoTR. @};-

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I'd love to see such a thread as well, and you can bet I'd be lending what expertise I have (all two teaspoons!) to the mix.

Nyota's Heart and Chyntuck like this.
  3. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Read!

Chyntuck likes this.
  4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I agree. There are a few threads where people complain about 'shippers. They blame the poor readership of their fanfics on the evil L/M 'shippers. If we could pull ourself away from our Assassin/Farmboy love stories we would be thoroughly entertained by some story involving characters we never heard of. Although that might be true, I don't like being blamed for low readership of non-L/M fanfics. There are a few people on this site that complain about cliques and that the L/M 'shippers refuse to read not only non-L/M fanfics, but the avoid authors that are not L/M shippers. This is absolutely not true. A writer on these boards created a sock a few years ago and wrote a non-L/M story and it was reviewed well by L/M 'shippers and non-shippers alike.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  5. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Read! And some of those threads do look interesting; I think it's cool that you're trying to get them restarted.

Ewok Poet and Nyota's Heart like this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Agreeing with Jedi_Lover & taramidala ... L/M shippers are amazingly and wonderfully talented authors. [face_love] But I for one have branched out into Before & into the Clone War era because of well-plotted fics and compelling characters. Also, I have fallen deeply, and irrevocably, in love with OC-centric stories, to which more than one author can attest. :) :D

Gemma, Goodwood, TrakNar and 3 others like this.
  7. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004

Old me (from a few years back) can kinda relate to this attitude. It can be incredibly frustrating to pour time and creativity into a story, only to watch it slowly get pushed down the page with no comments. And it's super easy to tell people to try and read fics outside their comfort zones. But it's not always easy breaking into a new genre or Era; a lot of people are kinda intimidated by the Old Republic, f'rinstance (which is why I'm considering restarting a thread for the Era). There's just so much information and knowledge that one often must have to feel like they're truly enjoying a fic. If you ask me, I will always encourage people to read things they aren't familiar with and ask questions about things they don't quite get. Most authors are happy to engage and answer questions. But don't force yourself to read what you aren't comfortable with.

For my part in this, you're welcome. :D

8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Let's please stop derailing this thread. If guys would like to discuss any issues with readership or what people write PM Mav and I and we can talk about having a civilized but focused discussion elsewhere (aka, not this thread).

9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Sorry, when I read the following I thought it was an invitation to discuss it in this thread. My bad.

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    We meant PM us in that circumstance.

11. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Have read will PM with my question.

12. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Read, even though I'm a n00b, really very useful, thank you!

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks for reading everyone!

I wrote everyone's name down in the order of where they posted in this thread the first time and then did a random number generator and got numbers 4 and 1 which means

Nyota's Heart and TrakNar will get colors for 48 hours.

I'll be PMing you guys shortly with how to get them.

jcgoble3, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Finally, a time when rolling a 1 doesn't equal a critical fail!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.