main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 1.13 - Call to Action - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 30, 2015.

1. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    I've said this elsewhere, but it bears repeating... My immediate reaction to the opening scenes was "Big Dog is here to slap the pups around." And he did just that. Oh, and "Welcome" to Stephen.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    Yes, it reminds me of the imperial interactions we see in ANH. I really liked watching the officers on the Death Star arguing with each other, as well as their surprise when it's announced that the Emperor has dissolved the Senate. Those parts could have been cut from the movie and it wouldn't have been too detrimental to the storyline. However, it gave the whole movie depth, and reminded us that everything was taking place in a much larger universe than just what we were watching on the screen.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Saw this episode only now- had a busy week.

+Yeah Tarkin- I like him- he is almost as evil as the Emperor himself and his way to deal with inept commanders on Lothal was great. Good that we get rid of "Laurel and Hardy" so gruesomely- it really show empire is not forgiving to it's foolish servants.

+Concept of Rebels is also coming clearer now when we are moving to larger world with rebels starting to form an alliance. Cannot wait when they leave Lothal- that is not the most interesting planet out there.

+Tarkin's comment about there being all sort of rebels everywhere that are not danger if they won't be unified makes perfect sense and ties this together with TCW where we saw one pocket of future rebels on Onderon. Then there is wookiees, mon cals, bothans etc. and Alderaanians of course

+At last one of them is captured

+Return of Police Gunship was nice nod towards TCW- it's appearance is like fusion of LAAT and tie fighter so it's obviously designed to look Imperial more than Republic-style

- Imperials destroying their tower was epic but they could have just go there and stop transmission I think- maybe they wanted to show their power at the same time but still... not very clever.

4. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Cleaverness was never really the Imperial Style. There's nothing subtle about BDZs, Death Stars and AT-ATs. They're weapons/tactics of raw terror.

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah, the most "clever" plans that the Empire came up with in the OT was putting a tracking device on the MF in ANH (which Leia figured out almost immediately) and leaking fake plans to the Rebels in ROTJ so that they'd attack the second Death Star and get blown up (which admittedly was rather clever). The rest of the time, it's pretty much just "shock and awe" tactics.

6. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    *shrug* If brute force doesn't solve your problems, you're just not using enough.

7. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I only just watched the episode this morning and after enjoying the superb entrance of Grand Moff Tarkin, I said to myself, "Wow. The voice actor really nailed it."

Of course, I had no idea that I'd have the opportunity to say so to the actor, himself. :)

So, full review of the episode to come later, but when I noticed that you had chosen to register here with us, Stephen, I really wanted to take a moment and say "Job well done."

Thanks for dropping by. I hope you enjoy your stay here enough to consider sticking around!

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Any chance on getting Stephen Stanton VIP status and "Rebels voice actor" under his user name?

cdgodin, Revanfan1, Vthuil and 5 others like this.
  9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Decent episode, but waiting to see the next one before I pass judgement.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What about disabling the hyperdrive on the falcon or staging the trap on Bespin?

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I have to give Mr Stanton a =D=. Your vocal performance of Tarkin was very reminiscent of Sir. I admit I am duly impressed. :)

cdgodin, JohnnyAmato, Ben R and 9 others like this.
  12. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    That was more Vader than Empire...so was the homing beacon for that matter.

Vader (and Palpatine) are Sith, which makes traps, schemes and deception old hat to them.

The Imperials (Tarkin Ozzel, et al) are brutes and thugs who rely on blunt force as their method of choice.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Interesting perceptions. I'd say I don't share it. Sidious was the most brutal of the lot.

14. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Re: the blowing up of the
    empire's own comms tower:

The propaganda value of destroying the tower is worth more than just letting the broadcast continue until they shut the power off, you have the option of claiming the tower was destroyed by the evil rebel anarchists, or that the empire was forced to destroy the tower because it was occupied by the evil rebel fanatics, thus claiming a rebel defeat. Or both. Destroying the tower was the most expedient method of stopping the rebel transmission either way.

It was arguably more stupid for the empire to broadcast images of the rebels themselves, as that would make the Ghost crew's identities known to potential rebel allies, though you have to weigh that risk against the likelihood of a member of the public (or one of their underworld contacts) claiming the reward for their capture.

....And you know what? (this might only be of interest to a minority of the few people who remember the middle of the Rebels anticipation thread), the series is now feeling a lot more like Blake's 7! We're missing an obvious Blake and and equally obvious Avon character - so the chemistry between the characters is markedly different, but you can easily connect the archetypes between the crews of Ghost and Liberator: Zeb=Gan, Sabine=Dayna/Soolin, Hera=Jenna/Tarrant, Kanan=Cally(!), Chopper=ORAC. At a push you could claim Kanan and Ezra are Blake and Avon, Kanan is an idealistic optimistic, Ezra is more pessimistic and materialistic, but it's a tenuous connection (you couldn't describe Avon as Blake's student). The political situation is shaping up to be very similar though, especially to B7's later seasons, this makes me very happy.

Octavian Dibar likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Stephen Stanton that's a very good complement coming from Cushing's Admirer and is well deserved.

16. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Brutal and subtle can go together. Sidious came to power using guile and treachery rather than naked force.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    and that was vader's idea.

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    did you enjoy it then?

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Not content wise no but I did enjoy his valiant vocal efforts. :)

20. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Destroying the tower was a show of force. It wasn't meant to be clever, or to be the most logical. It was only to show what the Empire was willing to do to stop a rebellion.

21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I think it was more about precision in the short-term rather than force.

22. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Now that I've had my margarita and finished up having a good cry, I can finally form coherent thoughts about this episodeā€¦

It was good. It was refreshing. But, will it last?

I was elated to hear that Tarkin would be returning, and his treatment in this episode is much better than I expected. Inquisitor, who sells more toys, could have easily been written to continue holding the reins, but Tarkin hijacked that stallion right from the beginning. Those verbal beatdowns in the beginning were perfect. Seeing Corduroy-Face standing behind the desk where he belongs was a refreshing touch and solidified Tarkin's real power in the dynamics of the Empire.
    Animation wise, I still think Tarkin could have been better. He had way too much movement in the shoulders and face, and his eyes felt a touch too large. His forehead seemed a bit over the top, and while I hope he consults with the armorers on Coruscant for a better bucket, he looked pretty spot-on in his helmet.

I hope Tarkin hangs around for a good, long time. Can we just call this series "Tarkin Time" and leave it at that?

Ah, but this episode made me shed some tears - I heard on another forum (before watching the episode) that "the comic relief" had been axed, and immediately the wailing began as I realized that Aresko was killed. And it was Tarkin who ordered it - I'm still dealing with the feels. Aresko was my favorite part of the show, and my primary reason for tuning in.

Best moment: Tarkin watching Kanan's face, not the tower, as the structure was destroyed. Brutal.

23. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
  24. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Here's how I felt about "Call to Action".
    It was...
    [​IMG]

I really enjoy how this show always focused only one one thing at a time, giving even quick moments their time to shine. This is so unusual for our current time where everything is franticly edited, shaky and cluttered. Take Tarkin for example: Like in the films, the character is handled with the screen presence as Peter Cushing. Even though he is only an animated version of a famous character actor, he is given the meat and bones of the scene to carry. This show knows how to turn every element into a highlight of its own. Dave Filoni, bravo!

Andy Wylde and DanielUK like this.
  25. pepoluan

pepoluan Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Well, in my humble opinion:
    This is the empire's MAIN transmission tower, and the characters have mentioned that the tower's transmission reaches other systems.

Remember that Kanan had sealed the entrance. And as the Main transmission tower, most likely it has its own backup power source within.

So breaking into the tower will take some time. And even though they dare an aerial drop, they still have to scour the whole tower trying to find the port where the Spike has been embedded.

All the while, the rebels keep broadcasting and probably cause the seeds of massive rebellion to germinate, not only on Lothal, but on other systems.

So, yes. Tarkin took the right decision: The fastest way to stop the Rebels' transmission. Besides, the Empire most likely has other transmission towers, although perhaps not as powerful as this one.