main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Palpatine's office

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Feb 9, 2015.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is it just me or was it really well-designed? There's statues and art throughout it, suggesting Palpatine enjoys sculpted art and you can't help but wonder if it's "Sith art".

2. JarJarAbrams

JarJarAbrams Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2015
    Sheev is a man of wealth and taste. He also likes going to the opera.

It's been ages since I read the ROTS novelization, but IIRC it says that Palpatine liked abstract art pieces and kept his lightsaber hidden inside one of them.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it is sith art.

4. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    I wonder who chose the colour scheme. It's very nice.... (just to see who gets the reference ;) )

5. JarJarAbrams

Jan 24, 2015
    Anakin chose it, obviously, because it's the color of Padme's geisha dresses

6. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    it is sith art.
    ---------

not all of it,

little is known of Sistros, Brataa, Yanjon and Feya,

but it is thought that they were part of forming the Republic, and while they were mysterious sages, no evidence suggests they were Sith.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    One of pieces was also said to be a urn where the ashes of Plagueis were kept.

enigmaticjedi and thejeditraitor like this.
  8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Cool thread.
    For some reason it reminds me of Palpatine telling Anakin in the ROTS novel "If a Sith walked into this office right now, I would offer him a brandy and ask him what he could do to end the war!"
    lol

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. A stretched version of the "I'm appointing you to be my representative on the Jedi Council" scene.

The line "—what are the chances of an actual Sith Lord ever walking through that door?" stuck out to me as particularly good:

"Many of the Jedi on your Council would prefer I was out of office altogether—because they know I'm on to them, now. They're shrouded in secrecy, obsessed with covert action against mysteriously faceless enemies—"
    "Well, the Sith are hardly faceless, are they? I mean, Dooku himself—"
    "Was he truly a Lord of the Sith? Or was he just another in your string of fallen Jedi, posturing with a red lightsaber to intimidate you?"
    "I..." Anakin frowned. How could he be sure? "But Sidious..."
    "Ah, yes, the mysterious Lord Sidious. "The Sith infiltrator in the highest levels of government.'' Doesn't that sound a little overly familiar to you, Anakin? A little overly convenient? How do you know this Sidious even exists? How do you know he is not a fiction, a fiction created by the Jedi Council, to give them an excuse to harass their political enemies?"
    "The Jedi are not political—"
    "In a democracy, everything is political, Anakin. And everyone. This imaginary Sith Lord of theirs—even if he does exist, is he anyone to be feared? To be hunted down and exterminated without trial?"
    "The Sith are the definition of evil—"
    "Or so you have been trained to believe. I have been reading about the history of the Sith for some years now, Anakin. Ever since the Council saw fit to finally reveal to me their... assertion... that these millennium-dead sorcerers had supposedly sprung back to life. Not every tale about them is sequestered in your conveniently secret Temple archives. From what I have read, they were not so different from Jedi; seeking power, to be sure, but so does your Council."
    "The dark side—"
    "Oh, yes, yes, certainly, the dark side. Listen to me: if this 'Darth Sidious' of yours were to walk through that door right now—and I could somehow stop you from killing him on the spot—do you know what I would do?"
    Palpatine rose, and his voice rose with him. "I would ask him to sit down, and I would ask him if he has any power he could use to end this war!"
    "You would—you would—" Anakin couldn't quite make himself believe what he was hearing. The blood-red rug beneath his feet seemed to shift under him, and his head was starting to spin.
    "And if he said he did, I'd bloody well offer him a brandy and talk it out!"
    "You—Chancellor, you can't be serious—"
    "Well, not entirely." Palpatine sighed, and shrugged, and lowered himself once more into his chair. "It's only an example, Anakin. I would do anything to return peace to the galaxy, do you understand? That's all I mean. After all—" He offered a tired, sadly ironic smile. "—what are the chances of an actual Sith Lord ever walking through that door?"
    "I wouldn't know," Anakin said feelingly, "but I do know that you probably shouldn't use that... example... in front of the Jedi Council."
    "Oh, yes." Palpatine chuckled. "Yes, quite right. They might take it as an excuse to accuse me."
    "I'm sure they'd never do that—"
    "I am not. I am no longer sure they'll stop at anything, Anakin. That's actually the reason I asked you here today." He leaned forward intently, resting his elbows on the desk. "You may have heard that this afternoon, the Senate will call upon this office to assume direct control of the Jedi Council."
    Anakin's frown deepened. "The Jedi will no longer report to the Senate?"
    "They will report to me. Personally. The Senate is too unfocused to conduct this war; we've seen this for years. Now that this office will be the single authority to direct the prosecution of the war, we'll bring a quick end to things."
    Anakin nodded. "I can see how that will help, sir, but the Council probably won't. I can tell you that they are in no mood for further constitutional amendments."
    "Yes, thank you, my friend. But in this case, I have no choice. This war must be won."
    "Everyone agrees on that."
    "I hope they do, my boy. I hope they do."
    Inside his head, he heard the echo of Obi-Wan, murmuring relations between the Council and the Chancellor are... stressed.
    What had been going on, here in the capital?
    Weren't they all on the same side?
    "I can assure you," he said firmly, "that the Jedi are absolutely dedicated to the core values of the Republic."
    One of Palpatine's eyebrows arched. "Their actions will speak more loudly than their words—as long as someone keeps an eye on them. And that, my boy, is exactly the favor I must ask of you."
    "I don't understand."
    "Anakin, I am asking you—as a personal favor to me, in respect for our long friendship—to accept a post as my personal representative on the Jedi Council."

10. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    Iron Lord: one of the best scenes in the book.

I also like when Sidious is offering Anakin anything he wanted, Anakin suggests a few things and Palps says "Done"

LOL

11. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Quite a few sources proclaim they are Sith Statues, so much so Side Show Collectibles released bronze statues proclaiming them to be Sith Statues.

Also, the mural seen in ROTS is suppose to be that of an ancient war between the Sith and the Jedi.

Lady_Misty and thejeditraitor like this.
  12. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011

Can you imagine if Ian McDiarmid acted this scene for a deleted scene or something like that? It would be brilliant!

13. JarJarAbrams

Jan 24, 2015
    I like that Anakin just goes "fine, I want the planet Corellia", and Sheev is all "done".

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    The Mural is indeed that showing the war of Sith and Jedi.

But as for the statues, I must conclude that I stand by my original comment.

Master_Lok likes this.
  15. JohnnyAmato

JohnnyAmato Jedi Padawan

Nov 19, 2013
    Funny how the Jedi never questioned why all the Sith statues and mural were in his office. You'd think they would have at least wondered why he liked it all so much. The Jedi were certainly in his office quite a bit.

I mean, they knew they were looking for a Sith Master who supposedly infiltrated the highest levels of the Republic government, and here is the Supreme Chancellor, who's quarters are full of Sith statues and murals. Hmm.

16. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    Obi-Wan: do you believe what Dooku said about Sidious controlling the senate? it doesn't feel right

Yoda: Sith Statues the Chancellor has in his office, be him Sidious could

Mace/Yoda/Obi-Wan:.................NAAAH

of course it might not have been known by anyone but the Sith they were Sith lords, so it's possible.

17. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    I found it quite questionable how Anakin never suspected Palpatine even though Palpatine kept telling him stories of ancient Sith Lords, and that he even studies on the Sith. He knew too much about the Jedi and Sith to not been suspected sooner.

JohnnyAmato likes this.
  18. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Also, why are guys referring to him as "Sheev"

19. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    That is his official canon name

Sheev Palpatine, it's in the new Tarkin novel :)

thejeditraitor and rickyjr7306 like this.
  20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    1. It's his first name

2. I believe a good deal of people are doing so in a somewhat humourous manner due to how.... well, nearly unanimously silly it seems to sound. It's sort of fun

rickyjr7306 likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    We don't know that the statues were intended to be Sith statues, and it doesn't make sense for the founders of the Republic to be Sith.

22. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    I saw the Tarkin novel at Barnes and Nobles. Was debating on buying it but chose to wait to see if it was good.

23. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Sheev. Sheev Palpatine. I don't know if I can call him that. Sheev haha why!

Seagoat likes this.
  24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I have no idea

Also, not to play backseat mod, but it's best not to double post; you can edit whatever else you want to say back into your earlier posts ^_^

25. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Gotcha. How about when I'm replying to different users?