main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 1.13 - Call to Action - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 30, 2015.

1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    My god, I agree with you so much. In fact, I'm rewatching this episode before ANH and its ..........awesome

2. JohnnyAmato

JohnnyAmato Jedi Padawan

Nov 19, 2013
    Admittedly, Rebels has taken me a little time to get used to, seeing how unbelievably awesome I thought The Clone Wars was. I didn't dislike Rebels though, and have seen every episode so far (and own Spark Of Rebellion), but I'm getting more and more into it with each passing episode. This latest episode tonight was, by far, my favorite one yet. The Yoda episode being a close second. Tarkin simply could not have been portrayed any better than he was. This one probably had the best Star Wars feel of any episode yet. I'll avoid any spoilers, but this one rocked.

This might be a little off-topic, but this episode gave me a strange vibe/feeling in which I believe at some point it will be Vader who kills the Inquisitor. Not sure why or how, just a gut feeling. We shall see.

Also slightly off-topic, right after Rebels, DisneyXD aired an episode of Phineas and Ferb that was a play on ANH, it was hilarious! Anyone else catch that? Normally I turn Disney off right after Rebels, but I actually sat and watched that whole thing, cracked me up. Was actually done very well. Not trying to start a conversation on it, as it doesn't belong in this thread, I'm just curious if I'm the only one that watched it. When it started right after Rebels ended and had an opening crawl like ANH I just sat there and kept watching...

WelI, I believe there's another two week wait now until the next new Rebels episode. Ugh.

3. SWITS

SWITS Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 7, 2015
    the beginning scene was most definitely awesome. Right from the get-go it got me feeling very engaged and excited to see the Imperial Shuttle and 2 Tie Fighters drop out of the Star Destroyer and make a grand entrance infront of the army of Imperials. Just like in the movies. I can't wait to see the Emperor, Vader, Tarkin, Kallus, & Inquisitor all in the same room together!

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The episode did make me think they might kill off Kanan, but then I remembered that Tarkin said to keep him alive.

5. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

I briefly thought that too, it would have been completely insane ... and kinda awesome (even though I like Kanan).

My full thoughts are in my recap:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ch...ode-11-recap-call-action-blog-entry-1.2108886

6. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    It's nice to know I wasn't the only one that stuck around for the Phineas and Ferb ANH parody. I agree, it was pretty funny.

7. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012

Eh.
    Stanton is like polyester silk.
    Cushing is like real silk.

They are both nice, but one has an innate depth, beauty, and feel that the other cannot compare with.

(Please note that I think Stanton is doing a great job, but Peter Cushing is… well, Peter Cushing. @};-)

kubricklynch and V-2 like this.
  8. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Stanton (and the script writers and animators and sound people) got the essence of Tarkin just right. The voice was 99% perfect, with just a tiny bit of mid-Atlantic twang in places. Certainly a much better job than 99.999999% of Americans when they think they're doing an English accent. I think it's fair to say he did a better job finding Tarkin's voice than Billy-Dee did finding Lando's, or JEJ did finding Vader's!

Darth_Pevra and darskpine10 like this.
  9. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Oh yes, V-2, I agree!
    It's nice to see the care that is being put into putting Tarkin onscreen (if only his short cameo in Episode III was as good!). Cushing was a very special man, and I'd like to think that his status as a near-saint is influencing the creators. :)

V-2 likes this.
  10. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Star Wars Rebels became serious. Unlike the Clone Wars, which followed the anthology format,Rebels has espoused a much more linear format with the same group of characters at its core. It’s a tougher challenge in its own way, considering how this unknown group of characters was supposed to be anchoring its own narrative within what arguably could be called the most beloved period of the entire Star Wars mythology. While the the season so far has been largely solid (with a couple of sure misfires), there’s been a true lack of forward momentum until now. The Empire itself, which is as one would remember at the height of its power, has had its role relegated to irritable bureaucrats and mind-numbingly moronic officers. At first, it was a little adorable in the “aw, stormtroopers still can’t aim” way, then it became very irritating as the adorable trend persisted way belong its expiration date. For Rebels to succeed in any way, shape, or form, it has to present the Empire as the true force of terror that it was. The stakes, frankly, are never going to be raised until that point and it arrived in full force today. Grand Moff Tarkin makes a welcome reappearance, with Clone Wars veteran Stephen Stanton returning to voice him and immediately the might of the Empire becomes fastidiously personified.

The opening shot of the Imperial Cruiser over the darkness on Lothal is an immediate win, reminiscent of the original Star Wars in all the best ways. Tarkin’s viciousness and vindictiveness is in full display, even if his animated model leaves a bit to be desired. Immediately he is taking command of Lothal and the complete mismanagement that he has felt has occurred and that the audience wholeheartedly agrees with. The moment that hits the viciousness and swift, pragmatic cruelty required of the Empire and that the show has largely lacked so far arrives here, as the Lothal lackies Aresko and Grint meet their grisly end. Tarkin doesn’t even have to say anything, but the Inquisitor is quick to understand and impales both of them simultaneously with his flashy lightsaber. Maketh Tua and General Kallus are terrified and rightfully so – their meandering, messy days are quite gone. Tarkin at the very least wants the Jedi ringleader to be caught, fastidious in his belief that this impostor would pay for his crimes against the Empire. Certainly there could no longer be any Jedi roaming in the galaxy. Tarkin had fought with them. Tarkin had seen them die.

The Rebellion at large has always been a question mark for this series that until yet had never really been considered by the narrative. One could easily be excused by just watching this series and arriving at the conclusion that there was no such thing as the Rebellion, only individuals and small, scattered groups around the galaxy smuggling and throwing wrenches into the Imperial machinery. Throughout the season, there have been snippets thrown around about other rebel pockets, but never in the manner as significant as here. For the first time, we truly get a bigger picture about how the Ghost crew fits into the larger galactic struggle against the Empire and the entire series benefits greatly from that. When Senator Trayvis announced his deception last week in a rather dramatic fashion, the implications were far greater than what they simply seemed to be at first glance. When he’s essentially making the same announcement on the Imperial broadcast network, Hera’s expression and her ominous pronouncement say it all. Trayvis’s betrayal didn’t simply make their job more difficult, it took away a shining beacon of hope for all the rebel groups out there who were struggling against all the odds, who believed that yes, there was at least one person within the Imperial bureaucracy who was looking out for them. It makes the task for the Ghost crew and all the other rebels out there significantly more difficult.

Ezra is terrified when the crew announces its intentions of sending out a radio broadcast to inspire hope and quash any feeling of hopelessness amidst other rebels that were on Lothal. His terror, fueled from having significant doubts about speaking out against the Empire, is palpable and realistic. He, after all, doesn’t want to lose the second family he’s ever had. But collectively the group decides that this act of defiance against the Empire is vital to the survival of the rebellion as a whole. An impressively brutal attack sequence follows, even if what arrives is far more nefarious. Once again Kanan finds himself outmatched, but like a true Jedi he surrenders to save his friends. The rebels manage to escape, but without Kanan in tow. Ezra is dejected, having lost his master to the Empire’s clutches. But with the support of the crew he is able to send out that one last radio transmission, pledging to everyone out there that they would collectively fight the Empire as one. The fight, as Hera rightfully notes, is far from over and doggone it if they just let one of their own suffer for too long. Tarkin blows the transmission tower to shreds just as the message ends, but that simply will not be enough to deter any rebels. It’s an exceedingly bittersweet note to end on and I certainly hope that the series doesn’t upend this new status quo anytime soon. For the first time, the struggle of the Ghost crew feels raw and real. I, for one, am along with them for this ride.

Great Moments Not Mentioned Above:

+“My visit is hardly an honor.”
    +“As if leaping from the pages…”
    +“You’re finally getting the hang of this, there’s hope for you yet.”
    +“It’s touching when you two bond, but I’m betting that probe has friends.”
    +“Lure them in.”
    +“Do not disappoint me.”
    +The ships from the Ahsoka arc in the fifth season of The Clone Wars
    +“But I like this gun!”
    +Great musical cues for Inquisitor
    +The shot of the door closing behind Kanan was a great one
    +“How unexpected.” “I’m full of surprises.”
    +The static playing over the end credits versus the usual music was a genius touch

Magnificent
    10/10

11. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    When does the next episode show up on DisneyXD's site?

12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    This is as close to perfect as an episode has been so far. Pats on the back for everyone involved. It seems Tarkin is the series big bad who is brilliantly voiced by Stephen Stanton. Sounds just like Cushings and the guy I don't want showing up on my planet anymore than I want the Weather Channel's Jim Cantore showing up at my beach this summer. This is executed brilliantly because up until now Kallus and everyone around hims has seemed like a bunch of goons while the Inquisitor still managed to seem to have some teeth. Tarkin already had the air that when he shows up on screen bad things go down and this started with an execution I was surprised to see with the Disney XD logo hovering on the bottom. Is it wrong I'm hoping both Kallus and the chick get executed by the end of the season? I see some folks saying TCW would have shown it, actually TCW tended to go with the stab through the back. It really did wonders for setting the Inquisitor apart from the rest of the goons as the Dragon. He was completely stoic when Tarkin chewed him out. He wipes the floor with Kanan later in the episode.

But the violence isn't what made it so great. I continue to be fascinated by the alternate looks we're getting at the Jedi. Tarkin's claim there are no more Jedi is a good allusion to the later conversation between Kanan and Ezra about learning together. Kanan is no full fledged Jedi and I still want explorations into his motives. He isn't the most brilliant at coming up with plans either to only just now think of hijacking an Imperial communications tower. This episode is not without its goofier moments like a cat thing knocking down a probe droid but okay it was kinda funny. The episode does balance out the darker things with some comic relief well. I'm not surprised the plan worked.

I think for all the brilliance of the trap Tarkin may have underestimated this Rebel cell's hacking skills. He earlier in the episode mentions how disorganized other Rebel cells are underlining they aren't nearly as much of a threat and probably lack the skill sets this one has. I think an interesting subplot developing is how the Empire is putting entirely to much stake into the fact one of the Rebel's, the leader is an almost Jedi and over looking the skills of the rest of the group which may be where Team Ghost really has its success. It'll be interesting to see how they function going through the next couple episodes without Kanan and possibly beyond that since unlike even in TCW I'm not sure what is going to happen to him. That's pretty cool actually. I'm recalling all the speculation he won't get out of this season alive however. The message at the end was kind of touching. We got another taste of Tarkin's ruthlessness in blowing down the whole communications tower. This may foreshadow Lothal's Fate. 10/10, Next!

13. JoaquinSlowly

JoaquinSlowly Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    It tends to come up on the Disney XD app a week or so before the air date, so in this case, on the app next Monday, February 16th, and on the air on Disney XD on television on Monday, February 23rd.

It occasionally posts earlier, but judging by the past, it will almost certainly be up by next Monday the 16th

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Eh, I gotta say I really dislike it when they blatantly reuse scenes from the movies...just like they did in one of the earlier episodes.

Darth_Foo likes this.
  15. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Is there ANOTHER way you could imagine Tarkin arriving on Lothal?

16. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
  17. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    And it helps to establish once again that Tarkin is de facto the Number 3 man in the Empire.

DanielUK likes this.
  18. Coocoo for Lekku

Coocoo for Lekku Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 9, 2015
    The merry band of rebels on the Ghost have done a pretty good job of embarrassing the Empire on Lothal thus far. Even the intimidating-looking Inquisitor hasn't done much to stymie their efforts.

Tarkin was put to great use, showing up with plenty of pomp, circumstance and gravitas and then coldly delivering on the oppressiveness all that implied. He's really a great go-to character for no-nonsense, almost casual evil.

19. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Number 2 you mean. He's higher up the food chain than Vader in ANH as Grand Moff.

V-2 likes this.
  20. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014

I'm sure Tarkin could have just parked the Death Star in their front yard.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  21. Echo22

Echo22 Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2013
    Dropping by for the first time in a while. This Rebels show has really sparked my interest during our wait for the big release in December. I really enjoyed this latest episode...

I thought Tarkin's arrival really kicked it up a notch and Stephen Stanton's performance and the writing for the character were spot on. Well done to all involved. I'm sure it's a preview of many things to come in future seasons. The entrance in the beginning along with the Imperial march set the tone from the very start. As for Tarkin's ruthlessness towards any failure from his officers - It's about time! These guys have been tripping over their own left feet in just about every episode. Which can be quite humorous, but not consistent with the Empire we saw in Ep. V. I also thought it was interesting seeing Kallus' reaction considering that he more or less did the same thing to one of his men at the end of the premier episode when all that the poor sap did was ask him a stupid question. It'll be interesting to see how failure is tolerated in future episodes. My guess is that the planet of Lothal is going to have a bad year. I'm not sure we'll see the Death Star in it's full glory taking it out, (because correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Alderaan the space station's first and only real victim?) But I do see the results of this latest sequence of events turning into an uprising of sorts - with major consequences. We'll see. My guess is the best is yet to come.

22. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    As I said in the review thread this episode was by far the best yet and almost made the rest of the season worth watching. Now I will defiantly tune in to the season 2 premier.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  23. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I think their ranking is a bit more complex than person A is number 2 and person B is number 3.

24. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Tarkin clearly displays more authority than Vader does in ANH. Also in ANH, Leia refers to Tarkin "holding Vader's leash", indicating that his position in the government is higher than Vader's, (or, at least perceived to be).

V-2 likes this.
  25. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Loved this episode from the moment the Imperial shuttle and the Imperial March appeared on the screen. It's "nice" to see Tarkin come in and call out all the bumbling failings of his Imperial associates, and effectively killing two failures, which really goes to show he means business when it comes to snuffing out rebellions. I love how Tarkin is getting expanded upon greatly in the new canon. From reading Tarkin to now seeing his appearance in Rebels, he actually is a fascinating character with a rich backstory, something the one-note Tarkin in ANH never inspired in my mind, whereas he just seemed like "******* #1". Now with the expansion, watching him in ANH, I have much greater fascination with him.

It was also sad to see Kanan captured and how Ezra didn't want to leave without him. They've really come a long way since Spark of Rebellion, and they're growing bond is one I've loved, how Ezra's found a new father figure. Ultimately by the time the series is done, poor Kanan I feel will have bit the Tatooine sand, as it were. I hope he goes out in a blaze of glory, only to be killed from afar by Kallus the coward, or run through by the Inquisitor.