main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Over the past week I watched a bunch of Oscar nominees:

"How to Train Your Dragon 2" - really enjoyed this, kind of surprised it didn't beat out "Big Hero 6" but I liked both a lot so not really upset or anything.
    "The Boxtrolls" - thought it was okay, but spent much of the movie wondering how this got a Best Animated Feature nomination over "The LEGO Movie".
    "The Imitation Game" - really enjoyed this, it was right up my alley. Probably my 2nd favorite of the Best Picture nominees ("Birdman" was far and away my favorite)
    "Whiplash" - this one was a surprise to me as I didn't know much about it other than J.K Simmons was probably going to win a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for it, but wow did I really like this. Great movie with an awesome ending, and Simmons certainly earned that Oscar....he is amazing in this movie.
    "American Sniper" - this movie was good but I'm honestly surprised this earned a Best Picture nomiation because other than Bradley Cooper's performance it's really not THAT great of a movie...entertaining for the most part, but not exceptionally well made I don't think. Least favorite of the Best Picture nominations.
    "The Theory of Everything" - thought this movie was great and had stellar performances by Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones. Still wish Keaton had won the Oscar but hard to argue against Redmayne.
    "Selma" - thought this one was great as well, personally I would have given David Oyelowo an Oscar nod over Bradley Cooper because he was so good in this.
    "Boyhood" - I liked this movie but I really thought it was too long. Everything about it is well done but it just kind of drags in the middle and isn't one I'll probably ever watch again.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  3. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I watched that movie only for Amy Adams and her bright-eyed bushytailed Amelia Earhart. I haven't even seen the first one.
    The Two Faces of January. Intrigue, desperation, Greece, suspicion, Kirsten Dunst.
    We're No Angels. When I watch movies I overlooked for years I feel like I'm filling in a puzzle. Robert DeNiro, Sean Penn, Demi Moore.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Tombs of the Blind Dead. This movie has pretty much scarred my perception of what the Templars are (yeah, I know they were not as they are here.)

I still think it's a pretty cool concept and the make up is outstanding given the budget and the concept. Are there story issues? Yeah, but zombie Virginia makes up for most of that.

I think this was the first foreign language horror film I watched with subtitles some years ago. It was certainly the film that truly kick started my Eurocult obsession* when I first saw it in the early 90s.

jahyeshua and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Attack of the Clones

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Terrible movie :p

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    There was never a party to begin with :p

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Hot Fuzz (2007) – Edgar Wright

[​IMG]

So, when I saw The World’s End, I had somehow managed to not see either Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz. Well, consider that problem partially rectified. Hot Fuzz is really nothing short of a masterpiece. It works as both a balls to the wall action movie and a hilarious satire on action movies; take a look at the recent Kingsman movie to see another example of that, though Kingsman is nowhere near as funny as Hot Fuzz. It’s got a brilliant ensemble cast, all performing wonderfully. Special props must be given to Timothy Dalton; why is this rakish, hilarious, charming actor not in way more movies? The script is witty, smart and surprisingly effective in the character based dramatic scenes. Anyway, this movie is a consistent laugh-riot. If you haven’t seen it yet, do what I did and prioritize it. It’s an absolute masterpiece. 4 stars.

tl;dr – brilliant action movie satire uses smart script and brilliant cast to keep the belly laughs coming consistently. 4 stars.

More Movie Reviews!

10. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I watched Virus (1980) for the third(?) time last night. An big b-movie based on a Japanese book (that's important to remember when analysing the plot, characters and motivations which would otherwise seem incredibly badly written. Oh wait...)

A cast of big b-movie and schlock TV names includes George Kennedy, Robert Vaughn, Chuck Connors (playing a British submarine captain with an unexplained American accent that nobody in the film mentions), Edward James Olmos (!), and Glenn Ford. Big names but not particularly expensive names. Still, it was apparently the most expensive Japanese produced film ever at the time. I think they must have actually done some filming in Antarctica.

It's brilliantly terrible. A b-movie masterpiece. The Ice Station Zebra of post apocalyptic b-movies. It's very 'dense' (read 'badly written'), feeling kind of aimless but it's actually very linear, almost every character has something important to add. Every character and every scene has function and purpose. It's very hard to identify what makes it b-movie-like. Apart from the picture quality, the editing, dialogue, characters, script and plot.

See it, it's great. Try to find the 156 minute version, anything shorter will essentially be a different film.

11. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - 9/10

Sarge likes this.
  12. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Accidental double post...

13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    He must be from the same part of England as Kevin Costner's Robin Hood.

The first one does remain fun, and back in '03 its lighthearted swashbucklery was a breath of fresh air. It's too bad the franchise has squandered so much of its good will with its overblown (particularly 2 & 3) and inferior sequels.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Fury (2014) – David Ayer

[​IMG]

I really liked this movie about a tank crew in WWII. I thought the crew, led by Brad Pitt, were all really expertly played. I’ve liked Logan Lerman as an actor since 3:10 to Yuma and I thought he did a pretty good job at keeping his naïve young recruit character from crossing over into cliché, though there were sequences, as in an unintentionally disturbing sequence in which he essentially rapes a young German girl while attempting to maintain an air of romance, that didn’t work at all. The ending is likewise pretty clichéd and the treatment of Pitt in that sequence is pretty Messianic, if you know what I mean. But, by and large, the performances were quite good. Shia LeBeouf frankly gives a genuinely great performance, an Oscar worthy performance in my opinion and by far his best. And John Bernthal is nearly unrecognizable and incredibly effective as a despicable, repulsive soldier. The film is refreshing in its brutality (weird sentence, I know) and the way it portrays WWII as less of a noble endeavor and more of an absolute hell of gore, suffering and senseless violence. Though the action is still often thrilling and gripping. A battle between four outgunned Sherman tanks and a near indestructible German Tiger tank is one of the best battle sequences I’ve seen in ages and the extended climax (nearly the entire third act really) where the titular tank stands alone to defend a vital crossroads is wonderfully shot and absolutely brilliant. There are flaws, but it’s still the best war movie I’ve seen in a very long time. Recommended. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – gripping, exciting, grim & disturbing, this well-acted, beautifully produced WWII movie gets its message of the futility of war across; flaws are few & far between. 3 ½ stars.

More Movie Reviews!

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)

I loved loved loved this movie. Improves on the original in every way possible. Hysterically funny.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Big Hero 6. We saw it in the theater before, but we got the DVD yesterday and I watched it with my kids last night. I still really like it.

17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i watched Argo last night. it was alright.

18. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Spartacus

Good movie, although very unKubricklike, which makes sense given it wasn't really his movie. Kirk Douglas is great. I was reminded however of the slow inevitable decay of life that is aging because he's such a strapping handsome man in this movie and now he's... so, so old. So old. It's a shame we cant just be in our 20s and 30s forever. Poor old Kirk Douglas.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I am Kirk Douglas.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Jumping between High Plains Drifter and Alien. :)

Love both movies. HPD pretty much introduced to me to Westerns, Clint Eastwood, Italian cinema and John Carpenter. I still think the stranger is the ghost of the murdered sheriff, and not his brother as Clint claims these days.

Alien is just all kinds of great (I still don't think Ridley's topped it, although the Duelists comes real close.)

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Minority Report

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Sharpe's Honor

24. jahyeshua

jahyeshua Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2015
    revenge of the ninja

25. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Watched The Kingsman in theaters, surprisingly entertaining. At home I watched Predestination. From the beginning I figured out the story/paradox. But was still a good movie.

26. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Dear White People. In some ways it was dead on but seemed to unravel from or contradict that statement as it went on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.