main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Official Dave Filoni Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ImNotAStarWarsFanboy, Feb 28, 2015.

1. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    As much as I like to rib on the guy, I have to admire all the things he's accomplished whilst working on both TCW and now Rebels. Filoni knows Star Wars, and in particular he knows the EU and respects it enough to bring a lot of concepts to the screen. Yes some are presented in a different way than how they were originally written, but at least he acknowledges their existence. A good example is how Mandalore was used in TCW. A lot of the existing material on Mandalorians was drawn through into the design and writing of those arcs. And it's not always big thins that get carried over, sometimes it's just little things here and there like the odd character or ship that never got much attention before being presented on camera. What I respect as well is his real knowledge of the subject material. He talks in interviews about a lot of concepts that would go right over the heads of casual or movie-only fans and comes across as someone with a genuine knowledge of the intricacies of Star Wars itself.

On top of that, Filoni does bring a passion and enthusiasm to both shows. You can tell in all the interviews and documentaries that he loves the work he's doing, which then feeds through into the crew and into the finished product. He's also, I have to say, a delight to watch because he also comes across as a very likeable guy with a good wit and sense of humour.

So Dave, I just want you to know (because I know you're lurking here every day) that I appreciate the work you've done and hope you continue to be a part of Star Wars for a long time.

[​IMG]

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Dave is a great guy and its always fun watching or reading his interviews.
    I hope he is involved with SW for many years to come.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He's also one hell of an animator. For that reason I was glad he was continuing with Rebels.

4. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Great artist too.

Lady_Skywalker87 and pepoluan like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

And sometimes a good story writer sometimes.:p

No but really I have liked everything he has done minus ashoka.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ditto that. His unrelenting blinding attachment to her is his one flaw.

That said, I still give him credit for owning that he has the attachment to her. Not all writers with a pet character will do that.

7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Lucas had that attachment with Luke and later Anakin and then the Skywalkers, Tano being Filoni's isnt that big a deal. Them being the creators of said characters is more a family thing, so both professional and personal.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't agree with that at all, but I'm going to pull this over into TCW thread to keep from derailing this one off Filoni appreciation.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I wonder what do you think Foloni enjoyed more TCW or SWR.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    As of right now, probably TCW. He spent 8 years on that show and really pushed to share as much of the existing content left over when it got cancelled with the fans.

credar likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Can't forget all his work on ATLA. He directed some of the best episodes of S1, and clearly carried over a lot of sensibilities from working on that to TCW.

12. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Not just the best ones, but the most important ones too. The ones that actually progressed the overall narrative of Book 1 instead of all the filler episodes.

pepoluan likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    What shows other then TCW, ATLA and, SWR has he worked on?

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  14. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    First and only rule of Star Wars television fandom: Always blame Filoni
    :p

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I always found it funny when Filoni teased something in the clone wars and it did not happen for 2 years like him teasing Trench living in season 4.

16. Huyang

Huyang Jedi Knight

Dec 1, 2012
    [Inappropriate]

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Get it of my Studio.

18. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    this thread took an interesting turn [face_plain]

19. captainkenbo

captainkenbo Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 21, 2014
    I guess some people like Dave a lot more than others......

But yeah he's a great guy I kinda feel bad for him that he did not get to complete TCW I think he put A LOT of effort and devotion to the project. It seems like he cared about it more than George.. That's not to say he isn't enjoying Rebels but you can tell he's disappointed that he can no longer work on his creation with his team... Even the interview things he does about Rebels don't have that enthusiasm in them that was present in TCW stuff

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

I agree which I sorta find funny because he always talked about the OT and here he is.

captainkenbo likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Who wants to know every TV/ movie DF has worked on you ready.
    TCW
    SWR
    ATLA
    The WIN Awards
    The Oblongs
    King of The Hill
    American Dragon: Jake Long
    Team Supremo
    Dave the Barbarian
    Mission Hill

22. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    This man to me is the new George Lucas of Star Wars ever since 2008. I mean that in a good way.

Also is there a shirtless version of that picture of Dave Filoni? :rolleyes:

23. Mojo120

Mojo120 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2014

I just looked it up, and wow you are both right, basically all the truly great episodes of that season and the ones where things actually happened aside from the Storm are were directed by Filoni. I knew he had worked on the show but I didn't know that before.

Also, I think Filoni gives some of the best interviews among cartoon producers, he always has plenty to say, lots of thoughts about his show and rarely comes off as awkward.

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    If you don't have anything nice to say move along, Move along.