main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What Album Did You Just Hear?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Oct 7, 2014.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

I have heard songs off this Album but I never listened to the whole thing till now it is a great Album! I downloaded Spotify but I don't pay for it, I think it is ridiculous to pay for it when I can listen to it for free with limited commercial breaks, it beats Youtube the only thing I don't like you cant get The Beatles?

Isotope217 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  4. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
  5. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
  6. jahyeshua

jahyeshua Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2015
  7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  8. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
  9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    What's an album?

10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That thing in your tag

Frank T. likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    [​IMG]

Rosetta; A Determinism of Morality

I love this album. So epic and beautiful in scope. Just finished Je n'en connais pas la fin and am on Blue day for Croatoa. It's an instrumental track, with a sample from BSG - "Are you alive?" "Yes." "Prove it."

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Gah! Done in by self.

Rogue1-and-a-half and SuperWatto like this.
  13. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Panda Bear
    Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper

14. jahyeshua

jahyeshua Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2015
  15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Acid Rap (2013) – Chance the Rapper

[​IMG]

Acid Rap is a masterpiece, let’s just get that out of the way. It’s a mixtape from Chicago based Chance the Rapper and it’s my introduction to the guy; he’s previously put out another mixtape, but I haven’t heard this one. But this is just one of the best hip hop albums I’ve ever heard, full stop. Every song on it is great. Chance has a really strange voice and an off-kilter delivery and the subject matter is often striking and unique. Juice has a retro, thirties-style swing to it. Cocoa Butter Kisses is a vulnerable lament about how his girlfriend won’t kiss him anymore because he smokes too much; it has an interesting hook based around a cough. Let’s Get Lost is a strange sex song. Paranoia is an angry protest song about inner city violence, while Pusha Man is an ode to inner city cool. Even the Interlude is fantastic, an off-beat song about love that is somehow genuinely moving and not hokey at all. I just really loved this album and, of course, it’s free. Click the link above and download it. You won’t be sorry. And here’s hoping we hear a lot more from Chance in the days to come. Highly recommended. 4 stars.

tl;dr – adventurous, brilliant mixtape signals a fully-formed talent that has yet to break fully onto the hip-hop scene; get in on the ground floor with this guy. 4 stars.

More Music Reviews!

tom and Frank T. like this.
  16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Dark Angel Darkness Descends (like Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales and Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos) this baby holds up and stomps the competition. Almost 30 years on this is still such a great album. Can't wait to hear what Dark Angel do next.

17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Self portrait - Bob Dylan

18. Isotope217

Isotope217 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2002
    Wallflower -- Diana Krall

Some moments on this but mostly meh. Production is overly melodramatic. The best I can say is that she's developed a tone and register that at times reminds me of the the champ of modern jazz vocals Cassandra Wilson, but misses the evocative quality of her work.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Holy sith me too! Right now!

Darth Punk likes this.
  20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Very cool, I love wigwam (track 23 I thinks)

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    came here and the first new post was rogue's review of acid rap, which also happened to be the last album i listened to.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf. One of the few albums I can still listen to from beginning to end.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Wow, that's cool. It's not an album I expected a lot of people to have heard about, despite the good reviews it got. I picked it up as part of a "listening to the best music of 2013" project. It's so good, isn't it? I'm not really an expert on modern hip-hop and I feel like a real novice when it comes to mixtapes. But I was really glad I heard about/listened to this one.

24. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Goblin soundtrack to La Via Della Droga (the Heroin Busters.) - in my top 3 favorite soundtracks.

jahyeshua and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  25. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    It's more gospel music than hip hop to me. I made a hard copy and put it next to my Blues Brothers collection on the shelf.