main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanon Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FanonSock, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    It was mentioned in Phantom Menace but there is little SW lore about it: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vergence

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    With only a few days of the month left so do I have a challenge to all lurkers here: I have not seen any Force traditions here based on Celtic bards, holy fools, Viking seidhr art, African blacksmith-kings, Shintoism, runic magic or Jewish mysticism. So I challenge you to use those last days to create some Force traditions based on one or more of those real world traditons!

Or you could just ignore me and continue lurking :p

*Look it up* I see...

I don't have any any fanon on how that's supposed to work but I think a vergence could creat a Force artifact but I am not certain what kind of "powers" it would/could have. I am open for suggestions if anybody have them.

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I still need to make my first fanon post, but I'm slow as I am working half of the day and baking whenever I have time, I have some doubts; plus err...I'm intimidated by the quality of your content. Most of the stuff I added to existing in legends and canon is pretty simple.

Gamiel, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    FanonSock what will be this month's discussion topic?

5. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Gamiel I suggest that we let topic running for longer than a month, because fanon posts take time to prepare and some users (like Ewok Poet and myself) didn't post about Force traditions and abilities yet.

In any case, the next topic is up to Goodwood because I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks later this month. If you want to propose topics, please PM the sock, we'll be happy to add them to our list :) And bear in mind that your fanon post doesn't have to be related to the current topic, so if you have something exciting that you want to post here, go ahead and post it!

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  6. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I'll shift over the topic in about a week or so.

Chyntuck and I have discussed what the new one will be, and we feel that there should be some interesting responses for it.

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    The index has been updated and reorganized by topic.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Can I take that as a rain check? :D I do have an idea for a Force tradition post, but may not have the time/energy to write it for a while.

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Yes. Yes you may. ;)

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm working on a post about a Force ability of my creation, but that would be too spoilerific for chapters of my fic that I haven't posted yet, so I'll give you instead:

Clandestine organisations under the Empire's rule

List of canon resistance groups on the Wook

In canon, slavery was legalised under Imperial Decree A-SL-4557.607.232, which enabled slaver guilds to conduct their operations mainly in the Outer Rim, but also enabled the Empire to enslave political opponents and "useful" species such as Wookiees for major projects (e.g. the Death Star). In my fanon, prominent figures of the Imperial regime abused the decree and kept slaves (or people otherwise in indentured servitude) for various tasks, even in the Core Worlds. Several groups were established to combat this practice. These include:
    • An informal advocacy group against slavery that had a big following in Coruscant higher education institutions until a few years before the Battle of Yavin, but slowly fell apart as it was unable to obtain any concessions from policy-makers and was finally disbanded after a massive slaving raid on Kashyyyk in 2 BBY. Its members joined several other groups that opted for various forms of direct action.
    • The Inter-Species Equality Network is an underground organisation operating in the Core Worlds. Its purpose is to free slaves in general and to find them safe passage to their homeworld or other destinations where they will not be at risk of being re-captured. They inherited the advocacy component of the informal group disbanded in 2 BBY, channeling it instead into more aggressive tactics and high-profile operations, e.g. targeting prominent slavers and slave owners such as the Zygerrian Slavers' Guild or Prince Xizor. They are an armed group and will not hesitate to kill if necessary to free slaves.
    • The "Centre" is a clandestine clinic established by Dexter Jettser on Coruscant. Its purpose is to provide medical care for sentients who escaped slavery. It is staffed by a group of volunteers of various species who train each other to be able to perform all the necessary tasks at a basic level (doctors, cleaners, a slicer to deactivate tracking/explosive chips, etc.) It works closely with the Inter-Species Equality Network and other similar groups that actively seek to liberate slaves, but also has its own team of street workers who survey the Underlevels and Invisec in particular in order to identify slaves who escaped on their own. It is located on one of the lowest levels of Invisec, in an entirely lawless area, and has thus managed to avoid detection by the authorities. Its contact with the upper levels and the outside world is Dex's old diner, which is now run by FLO and Hermione.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have updated my illtravellers tradition in my main post

-------------------------

Also the presentation of the two religious/magic classes from Sláine: The Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes, they may be of some inspiration

Viridian-Maiden and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    Well, we've kept this a bit late, (Goodwood's fault, he takes full blame), but it's time to shift the topic once more! Thank you to all who have submitted posts thus far; because of the topic change, you are entitled to squeeze in one more post this month...I think.

(Also, the index has been updated)

So, for the rest of this month and most of March, hit us with all your fanon creations relating to:

Blasters and Other Types of Personal Weapons

While this can include a huge range of all types of arms, for this particular instance we feel that it would be best to limit the field for the time being to ranged weapons, starting with your basic types of blaster- and projectile-based arms, up to and including man-portable and -deployable (MANPAD) anti-vehicle launchers! Don't worry, we'll get around to melee weapons and lightsabers eventually, we promise! :)

Usually Chyntuck handles this, so I beg your pardon if I screwed anything up. :)

Kahara, Gamiel, Findswoman and 2 others like this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Iceglacer blaster--An original Cushy creation no longer personally in use for my old fantasy universe. This blaster discharges a stream or pellet of liquid that once it comes into contact with living tissue it immobilises and freezes the victim so they can be apprehended. Non-lethal.

Findswoman , Kahara, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Corner cutter blaster
    This rather strange type of blaster comes in the size of carbine an upward, even if they are a bit heavier than a standard blaster of the same power and have less range. What makes a corner cutter unusual is that the shots fired from one turn to the right or the left, depending on adjustment, in a half arch making it a weapon that is very hard to aim with unless you have the right kind of senses or Force training.

Corner cutter blasters are manufactured somewhere in the unknown regions, probably in or near the Blazing chain space since many of their members have been seen wielding this kind of blasters, and most likely created by a four armed species since all larger corner cutter blasters seems to be designed to be wieldable by more than two hands.

----------------------------------------

Bolt throwers
    Usually the size of a large carbine, not counting the ammunition magazine, bolt throwers uses magnetics to propel a metal, or metal enforced, bolts toward the target. A bolt thrower is usually bottom fed from drum magazine or top fed from a column magazine but variations do exist.

In practice so is a bolt thrower a crossbow that uses magnetics to propel the bolts instead of a bow.

Bolt throwers can be found on most advanced planets and are cyclically the in-choice as hunting weapon among sports hunters and have been considered old fashioned for at least 50 years before the fall of the Republic.

Kwookrr is famous for its bolt throwers with carved wooden stocks and the range weapon of choice among the native wookiees, even if they were all outlawed while the Empire was in control.

The ancient Sith empire's air cavalry used long barrelled bolt throwers with poison tipped ammunition.

Fire lance
    This kind of blaster rifles resemble long staffs with a gripe somewhere in the middle and can be found in the [rim area] and are popular among the Paradisoskar ryn and the White Goddess' warrior mikos.

The fire lances are at smallest 1.2 m long and the longest seen are 3 m long but they are usually around 2 m long. They pack a punch slightly weaker then a normal blaster rifle of the same length but have a longer range and gives at least double damage when they hit electronic machinery, making them devastating against droids and vehicles.

Most fire lances are reinforce and weighted for use in close combat.

Fire lances manufactured to resemble scythes, usually with a shock- or vibroblade, are found among some of the tomb guard chapters on Dahrtag

Lindorm shard gun
    The naganoida lindorm can found in the [area in the unknown region] and the outer rim, often as mercenaries and merchants and nearly always wielding their feared shard guns.

Shard guns use solid crystals as ammunition, when triggered, the weapons force a powerful electrical current through the crystal, causing it to tear off small shards from sheering torsion pressure and ejecting them at great velocities. Those shards can rip open armour and tear into flesh with ease but what makes them truly feared is that the crystal comes out coated with poison. This poison seems to be a natural by-product from the creation of the shards and is highly painful and lightly paralyse the bodypart hit.

Shard guns comes in sizes from large pistol to heavy long rifles and usually have polished wooden stocks and decorated metal parts. Since the lindorm are four armed so are larger shard rifles designed to be wieldable by more than two hands.

Lightning glove
    A high technological glow that also cover the underarm that are usually connected to battery pack on the back or in the belt, even if ‘gloves with internal batteries exist but they are more expensive. The ‘glove is usually thin enough that it can be hidden behind normal clothes and some models are made to look like decorative armoured glove.

The lightning glove have a couple of functions, the main one is that the wearer is capable, with the right hand moment, of shooting an electric blast. The blast can come in different strange from nearly harmless lightshow to deadly for a human and is rather inaccurate – anything beyond 3 m is hard to hit and beyond 9 m near impossible.

Among other function is that you can create an electric nimbus around the gloved hand to give electric damage in close combat. If you have two lightning gloves so is it also possible to create an electric arch between them, usually not that useful but often rather impressive to look at.

Lightning gloves are popular among people who want an unusual surprise attack, a way to impress primitive natives or similar and are standard equipment among the Order of Ororo, who are trained to control the path of the electricity using the Force.

Grave guns
    The belief that there is power in bones is spread across the galaxy but nowhere is it probably better known then on Dahrtag, also called Necropolis, the galaxies largest collection of the dead and their remains. One of the groups on Dahrtag that base their trade on this belief is the gun maker guild. Declared illegal and hunted by the law for long times the guild have still been able to work their trade of crafting guns around the bones of famous gunfighters.

A true grave gun is a master crafted slug throwers (never a blasters) that can use compressed gas, chemical explosions or electro-magnetism depending on what the buyer ordered. It is probably the high quality of the guilds workmanship that make grave guns such excellent weapons and not any kind of power from the bones that are part of them but you never know…

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You don't need to post that much, after all you can always go back and edit it when you come up with more.
    Some suggestions on what you could post:
    - Something about ewoks living in other environments then the forest, like the hills, steps, mountains, islands, etc.
    - some new ewok magic, or maybe just a summary of all the ewok magic we have seen. I mean many of the worlds on my world list are canon, I just put them together.
    - maybe something on one or more of the non-ewok species on Endor.

How big are they and what range do they have?

Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It's handheld and I'd say fifteen metres.

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Precisely what I am working on...that and a political post on the second universe I'm creating, as the Corellian trilogy just presented the Sacorrian Triad as maniacs who rule a planet with an iron hand and nothing more. And there are so many Cold War non-aligned (*ahem*) and USSR-aligned countries to borrow doctrine from and twist it even further...

Gamiel, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Are we talking handheld as in pistol or carbin or are both sizes available?

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    When I used it it was pistol-like. If you want to claim it you can give it different types.

Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Some stuff that you can find here and there in the galaxy

Technology

Hyperspace sextant
    Across the galaxy there exist people and traditions who navigate the hyperspace with help of, or, in some rare cases, nothing but the Force. Some of these groups use the strange device called hyperspace sextant.

The sextant have little to do with the sea navigation instrument it is named after beside helping in navigation and work by stimulating the part of the brain a Force navigator uses when navigating hyperspace. Usually taking shape of a helmet like device connected to a main device, often built in the navigator’ chair, which is in turn connected to the ships sensors and existing navigation system.

As it smallest a sextant is made up by the “helmet” and a portable main device the size of a larger brief case that is connected to whatever ship the Force navigator is on. The largest sextants found have been the size of a larger room and needed three Force navigators to fully work.

For optimal use so do a sextant need to be calibrated for each new user and for some species so do only certain models work because of their notably different brain chemistry/form.

Among known users of hyperspace sextant are illtravellers, blazing chain navigators, the eigrioch species*, and [more to come]

* Unknown region species that I will expand on in coming times.

-------------------

Psy-block
    This device usually take the form of a metal headband or similar and, when worn and activated, prevent telepathic intrusion or manipulation toward the wearer. The downside with the psy-block usually become apparent 10-30 min after it has been activated when the wearer begin to develop a light headache, a headache that just become worse and worse until it is a splitting migraine. There are also tales of users suffering strokes when wearing a psy-block for to long.

-------------------

Pioneer distiller
    A easy to use, usually portable distiller for the creation of methanol, made from very sturdy material. The methanol is used as fuel in vapourengines (which often are a more common sight on frontier worlds then modern engines), lighter fluid, stove fuel and similar.

When brought from the manufacture it usually comes with nearly enough spare parts to make a new distiller.

-------------------

Vapourengines
    Methanol engines, comes in many different sizes and for different uses. Often seen on frontier worlds or pre-space age cilizations.

-------------------

Velocipede
    A wheeled, muscle powered personal transports that can be found in the cities and/or countryside on most populated worlds. It is easy to maintain and repair, and can be equipped/modified in many different ways to carry extra stuff or passengers.

-------------------

Drugs

Blung
    A drug that stops physical aging but clogs the midichlorians making a person unable to really feel the Force, taking away any Force guidance or “luck”. Very expensive.

-------------------

Catseye
    Catseye is one of many names for a liquid drug that, when dropped into the eyes, gives the user better ability to see in the dark. How little light the user needs to be able to see depends on how good his night vision was previous and catseye will not make it possible to see in complete darkness.

-------------------

Oswaft
    Named after naturally hyperspace capable oswaft, this blue crystal powder increase the users ability to use the Force to navigate hyperspace or do astropathy* at the cost of losing focus of the near physical reality. A person using oswaft seems tipsy to blind drunk when trying to do anything beside navigation or astropathic communication.

Oswaft is usually mixed with flour and water and baked into coin shaped wafers that are eaten. It is not physically addictive but many users often find it hard to do their trade without taking some first, they need the bost.

*Astropathy = really long range communication through the Force or natural telepathy

-------------------

Turner’s boon
    Described as a moment of complete clarity followed by a lifetime of darkness, this thick, blue and green liquid are many Force navigators’ desperate last chains and choice to get out of a hopeless situation.

Consuming this salty, foul tasting liquid highly increase a Force navigator’s power and ability to sense the vast space around her for a short time, making it possible to do seemingly impossible feats of piloting and navigation both in real- and hyperspace. When the effect of Turner’s bone ends the navigator usually fall into a light coma from which she awake physically weak, mentally depressed and with notably diminished Force senses.

-------------------

Gear

Boiler tablet
    Developed for purifying water from bacteria in the wild, one boiler tablet dropped in one litre of liquid create a chemical reaction that makes the water boil. If it is put in more then one litre the liquid will just be warm and not sterilised.

A boiler tablet is about the size of a effervescent tablet.

-------------------

Material

Ibrim
    A type of crystal that can be used to create highly effective (and expensive) personal force shields. Can only be harvested with profit on three planets in the known galaxy in the moives-era.

-------------------

Symbar
    A kind of white crystal, usually between a hens' eggs a bantha heart in size, that quickly become boiling hot when it comes in contact with water.

Those crystals are rare and it is unknown where they come from - or rather, they who know keep it to themselves - but it is probably from somewhere close to the Iego system, since many Angels have one.

In its natural state a symbar have sharp edges but there are many crystals that have been shaped into a spherical or egg-like shape.

-------------------

Consumables

Turkim
    A fungus similar in shape and consistence to potato with a taste resembling ginger. Is used as spice in food; for tea; fungus wine and spirit.

When it comes to turkim tea so do two major school exist, Duros and Corellian. The Duros version of turkim tea is strong, usually so strong that an unprepared begin to cough, while the Corellian is notably weaker.

-------------------

Findswoman , Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    any ideas about animal and/or plant life?

Do they eat their food raw or do they cook it and if so, how do they prefer to cook their food?

any special kind of metals and gemstones they specialise in shaping? And do their jewellery have any kind of distinct look?

Any new thought about their technology?

Do the hoatzeri have any special relationship with any other species, planet, group or similar? And do they have bad feelings against any other species, planet, group or similar?

-------------------------

@TrakNar I expect to see an illustrated guide on gand range weapons before the month is over.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I've never been very good at creating weapons, so I'm definitely going to be borrowing some from here when my fic gets to the Unknown Regions.

------------------------------------------------

Gamiel I just read through your weapons post and I was wondering if you could provide some extra context about the species/worlds that each weapon originates from? I don't know if you'd rather include this information in the same post or in your earlier post about alien species. One aspect I'd be particularly interested in is the level of technological development of the cultures that invented these weapons.

Similarly, I'd like to know if the various drugs that influence one's connection to the Force in your post above are associated with a specific Force tradition?

And a general comment: in order to avoid too many repetitions in this thread, and to make indexing easier, I suggest you keep your update posts to something along the lines of "I updated my [aliens/weapons/whatever post] to include [something]" and add a link to the original post instead of copying-pasting the whole paragraph. You can get the permalink from the post number (bottom right of your post, just next to "like" and "reply"). Also, if your fanon posts are related among themselves (e.g. if one of the weapons listed on this page belong to an alien species you developed) I would recommend you cross-link your posts to make navigation easier.

------------------------------------------------

I'll be back before the end of the month with a fanon post about a Dark Side Force ability I developed for my fic.

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  23. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well the bolt thrower is essentially a Star Wars handheld railgun then? Cool... and fits with the naming conventions of slugthrowers.

What's the difference between your lightning glove and a Shockboxer's Glove?

BlasTech naming conventions - All the BlasTech alpha numerical codes have a meaning. DL, DC, EE, E, DLT, DT, DH... and so forth are the abbreviation of a product line: DL means Defender Light, DC means Defender Carbine, EE is Enhanced Enforcer, E is Enforcer, DLT is Defender Light Tactical, DT is Defender Tactical, DH is Defender Heavy, and A is Assault.

Gamiel and Chyntuck like this.
  24. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    stellarmagic01 Then how do you explain Han's DL-44 being considered a "heavy blaster"? I'm not sure precisely what sources say this, but it is my understanding that this model is considered to be on the more powerful end of the spectrum.

25. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

It's still a pistol... DH series are more like a hybrid of a carbine and a pistol.