main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Abel G. Peña's "Skyewalkers" and "Lone Wolf"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jSarek, Mar 6, 2015.

1. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    As part of "The Other Lost Missions: Rare Clone Wars Comics and Literature, Part 2," StarWars.com finally has allowed the release of Abel "@Halagad_Ventor" Peña's novella "Skyewalkers." Intended to be part of the fantastic push of Hyperspace material we say in that institution's last days, it got stuck in website limbo when Hyperspace closed its doors. It includes "Lone Wolf," a short story by Abel.

I'd include this as part of the Blogs thread, but all told, we're talking 256 pages of new Legends material here; that's a book, and a book deserves it's own thread. Particularly since this is some of Abel's best work; we've all seen what his deft touch can reconcile in a retcon, but we finally get to see just how skilled he his with a narrative approach to character and plot.

GrandAdmiralJello, Barriss_Coffee, Valin__Kenobi, Ozzel: This is the amazing story I was alluding to at Celebration VI. You can at last see why I was so excited. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis, I hinted at this to you once, as well; you in particular MUST read it, trust me.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was sold back at C6, so I'm definitely going to start reading it when I get home. And 256 pages? Wowee, what a thrill to get a surprise massive new Legends piece.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    So, they gave us more Legends?

4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That's WONDERFUL news! But... where is this announced, jSarek? Is it still secret or something?

EDIT: Never mind. Saw the blog article.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    wait but what no huh what i don't what

6. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Mazel tov!

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Good stuff. Lots and lots of references, in both the "Skyewalker" story, and the "Luke & Obi-Wan on Nar Shaddaa" story.

8. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Loving this so much. I always found Star Wars Annual 1 to be one of the most fascinating Star Wars stories, and while I haven't gotten to a part of the book with a Sentinel in it yet, I'm hoping for more details there. This is so cool! Considering getting it printed and bound.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    [face_laugh] BUT LEGENDS IS DEAD YOU GUYS LET IT GO

And it's an Abel story as well. This just made my day... strike that, month.

10. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    If you heard a popping sound from the general direction of Texas, that was my head exploding.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Dang, this IS a full novella. My computer can't do this justice, I have to throw this thing on my kindle.

12. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Heck, I'll print one.

13. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Kind of. They're giving us leftover Legends that they never gave us when they should have.

YOU KNOW MY FEELS

Would you expect otherwise from Abel? ;-) Come for the references to Marvel, Republic Commando, Domain of Evil, or Creatures of the Galaxy; stay for the plot twists, the banter, the character development, the over-the-top villain, and one of the best Force-user POV scenes ever put to page.

14. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    There are even references to such outlandish things as Galaxy of Fear!

Overal...

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it
    I'm about to lose control and I think I like it
    I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it
    [​IMG]

15. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    that gif makes me think kermit got trapped in the black lodge now

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I read the first chapter and A.T.H.A. Prime made me groan so, so, so much. Queued up to read after HttJ!

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    They had me at "Preludium" :D

But seriously, that Lone Wolf story seems really cool- almost acts as a companion piece to Kenobi.

Zorrixor, Eyrezer and Halagad_Ventor like this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Reading through this now. BIZARRE story! I've got to make a running list of comments eventually.

But just throwing this out before I forget --

[​IMG]

...because for every one I get I'm probably missing ten more. But I love seeing continuity played like this. Might be the last time in a while before the new canon-verse builds itself up.

19. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I wonder if my extensive EU knowledge has atrophied and I will miss such references.

Eyrezer likes this.
  20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Is it bad that since MArvel and Star Wars are both Disney, my first thought at the title was "Agents of Shield/Star Wars crossover!"

Halagad_Ventor and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Literally the first thing that popped into my head, too.

22. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Holy crap. I didn't think it was possible to go from "Not interested in any upcoming SW novels" to "What the hell YES I'm going to read this one that is suddenly out RIGHT NOW" in the blink of an eye.

23. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    A free, cool book? Yay! :)

Halagad_Ventor likes this.
  24. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Very fun little read, both the novella and Lone Wolf that follows it (finally, the Obi-Wan and baby Luke on Nar Shaddaa story! :D

Interesting tidbit, buried within SkyeWalkers ...

So, Halagad and Tia Organa had a son, hmmm? o_O Looks like we finally have the answer to who was Nial Organa's father ... and the House Organa-House Vandron scandal ... [face_laugh]

25. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    This made me pretty sad Atha Prime was never a thing. On the other hand, what a fantastic story! Seriously, maybe the best ever in terms of integrating the SW universe (except maybe Kenobi or the ROTS novelization...). References from everything to waru (granted, it was tongue and cheek) to the Arkadians to the blue virus from TCW to a pre-Dark Forces Jerec to foreshadowing about Dark Empire to mentions of Trachta...this was so cool! And I love the suggestion that Dark Empire's sentinels are replications of Zeta Magnus. Just a really fantastic story. Not to mention, it finally gives Kharys some context! Go Abel!

Halagad_Ventor, Eyrezer and jSarek like this.